New Metallica song out !

toscanobarga

Hate the album art almost to the point of not buying it but I caved. :eyeroll: Hope it is good. I liked DM despite the brickwalling. I wish it had better sound because the songs themselves are pretty good. I heard this one has better sound. Wasn't that someone on here?
  • Like 1

This is not a bad album...best since Justice in my opinion

And I liked everything that came after that!

(St. Anger only really live...)

• Like 1

Hate the album art almost to the point of not buying it but I caved. :eyeroll: Hope it is good. I liked DM despite the brickwalling. I wish it had better sound because the songs themselves are pretty good. I heard this one has better sound. Wasn't that someone on here?

Yes. It sounds great.

• Like 2

The youtube clips are defnitely better overall compared to DM.

There was a guitar hero version of DM that went around the torrent sites back when that sounded much better than the official release. The mastering (final) step seems to be where most of the damage to DM was done.

• Like 2

There was a guitar hero version of DM that went around the torrent sites back when that sounded much better than the official release. The mastering (final) step seems to be where most of the damage to DM was done.

Indeed. MUCH more listenable this way.

• Like 1

Indeed. MUCH more listenable this way.

Yep. Guitar Hero and Rock Band need the isolated tracks to do what they do. The mix changes depending on which instruments are being played and if they're hitting the notes/whammying/using star power. One guy ran the isolated tracks through audacity and unsurprisingly it sounds better because those don't brick wall.

Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 1

I've given this album five listens now and i'm really starting to like a good amount of it. Disc one is a keeper, all the tracks are good. As for the second disc, Confusion and Spit Out The Bone are very good. The rest is kind of whatever to me. That's eight quality tracks out of twelve which isn't bad at all.
  • Like 2

It's overlong but I sort of like everything...

I didn't expect that.

• Like 1

I haven´t had a chance to check it out yet...I must admit my excitement with Metallica is not what it used to be, and I do love thrash. But I´l give it a spin on the weeked. Long albums are good for long runs, and I have one planned for Sunday.
  • Like 1

The Google Play edition has a third "disc" with the following:

Lords of Summer

Ronnie Rising Medley (A Light In The Black / Tarot Woman / Stargazer / Kill The King)

When A Blind Man Cries

Remember Tomorrow

Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

Hit The Lights (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

Ride The Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

Fade To Black (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

Jump In The Fire (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

For Whom The Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music, Berkeley, CA - April 16th, 2016)

Hardwired (Live at U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN - August 20th, 2016)

• Like 1

I haven´t had a chance to check it out yet...I must admit my excitement with Metallica is not what it used to be, and I do love thrash. But I´l give it a spin on the weeked. Long albums are good for long runs, and I have one planned for Sunday.

Very little true thrash on it (first and last songs). Mostly it's a metal album with SOME cool NWOBHM moments on it. Like...straight Iron Maiden bits.

• Like 1

Very little true thrash on it (first and last songs). Mostly it's a metal album with SOME cool NWOBHM moments on it. Like...straight Iron Maiden bits.

Ok...I think I´ll like it then, John Petrucci ops, I mean Presto-Digitation.

The main issue I have with Metallica is that once I realized how sloppy Lars´ playing is, I can´t get past that. But I´ll try again.

Ok...I think I´ll like it then, John Petrucci ops, I mean Presto-Digitation.

The main issue I have with Metallica is that once I realized how sloppy Lars´ playing is, I can´t get past that. But I´ll try again.

:D

You might be surprised then. I'm not much for Lars, but his playing is as good as it's been in a while here, for what it's worth. They're all playing well. Ulrich really rips on Spit Out The Bone with some furious double kick throughout the song. This album ends on such a monster note it essentially redeems any preceding short-comings. Disc 2 isn't very well paced, but Spit Out The Bone sure puts the exclamation point on the whole affair. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

The folks at Ultimate Classic Rock online posed this question to some of their writing contributors and I thought I would take a stab at them myself. Feel free to do so yourself:

What are your first impressions of Hardwired…to Self-Destruct?

I’m relieved that they were able to do it again and by “it” I mean make an album that doesn’t suck. I don’t count the Lou Reed album, as that was a special project and not a Metallica record, but its presence re-introduced doubt once again. But prior to Death Magnetic we’d slogged through the leftovers of Reload and the minimalist horror show that was St. Anger. (Just thinking about songs like The Unnamed Feeling and Dirty Window make me retch some). Death Magnetic was big-time salve on the wound and Lords of Summer released since that suggested a drop in quality. Thankfully that didn’t happen. Nice amalgam of thrash, metal, New Wave of British Heavy Metal, the Death Magnetic album, hints of Master of Puppets, etc. It’s not an A+ record, but it is a solid B or B+ album that sounds great as well.

What’s the best song?

Depends on what defines best. Attitude? Song-smithing and construction? Just the instinctive way it makes me feel? I’m most pleased to hear Spit Out The Bone as a completely apology-free ass kicking that never relents for its just over 7 minutes. It makes me smile and exalt. Probably the best song, in terms of just BEING A SONG – not to mention also a favorite – is Moth Into Flame, followed closely by Atlas, Rise! They are catchy, killer, crunchy, Maiden-like, and just work from a construction standpoint. Halo On Fire also vies.

What’s the worst song?

Probably Am I Savage. It’s a bit weird with that arpeggiated pre-chorus and the fx on his voice over it. I’ve pretty much warmed to the rest, but less so this one. That said, it’s no “Oh my God, turn this off” moment either. It’s just a lesser moment in a sea of good-to-great ones. Believe me, it won’t be replacing Sweet Amber or some like it as a career-defining embarrassing cut any time soon.

Is this album better than Death Magnetic?

In some ways yes and in others, no. DM was a bit more concise and pointed, with less filler. It also had the benefit of following their worst album, so anything short of abject failure was going to be a victory. Hardwired, on the other hand, had to follow that breath of fresh air without falling flat on its face. But I’m not sure its top moments are as good as the peak points on Hardwired either, much as I love and appreciate the likes of Cyanide, All Nightmare Long, and Judas Kiss. I think given a bit of bloat on the new album it might have been down for an instrumental in the vein of DM’s Suicide & Redemption and certainly a couple tracks could have been culled. But the new album has an improved sound over the headache-inducing Death Magnetic, so props there. I also like the actual mix better too, not just the mastering. Hetfield’s voice is wetter than on recent albums past. Just a better bit of work went into recording this one. On the whole I would say yes, it’s better, but it’s close and as importantly I’m relieved it wasn’t some big step down as it might have been. At worst it’s a lateral move and at best the band is pushing further here. The latter I think.

Is this the best metal album of the year?

I didn’t buy too many metal albums on the whole. Had Baroness’s Purple come out this year (missed it by a hair) I would say no, and while Testament’s album is indeed great, nothing quite gets me excited quite like quality Metallica. Despite their failings, I still root for this band and few things are more gratifying to me in the metal sense than enjoying new Metallica and, after 8 years, not a moment too soon either. Worries of fatal levels of apathy was setting in for me as a fan. Certainly this and Testament vie in my book, but they’re different experiences. New Testament (< see what I did there?) is purer thrash and Metallica’s album is bookended by a couple fine thrash moments, but it mostly a metal album with all sorts of Sabbathy and Maideny and Thin Lizzy-like nuances throughout. Because I really like that level of diversity, I would probably favor the new Metallica album as metal album of the year.

• Like 3

I'm still pissed that their music ain't on streaming sites that much except for Amazon and I use Tidal because of audio quality. I'm using a free month trial of Amazon and just downloaded a torrent of it and converted to FLAC format. Only listened once so I'll listen more for a full opinion.

Piss off, Lars Doucherich!