New Metallica song out !

toscanobarga

Although I was into Metallica back in The Day (first four albums for the win), I completely lost interest in all things Metallica around 2005 or so. But got-dam if Moth Into Flame isn't rekindling that old fire...

(Hardwired blows though)

Another new song:

https://metallica.com/blog/news/433809/track-two-moth-into-flame

This album might be shaping up to be pretty good.

I haven't been into Metallica for a long time. However, a few weeks ago was the anniversary for AJFA and started listening to them again. Loved my favorites from the album Eye Of the Beholder, Harvester Of Sorrow and Frayed Ends. Heard this new track and must say I like this one even more that the first release from the new album. The new album looks promising to say the least.

• Like 2

Sort of loving all these...sounds like my second favourite Metallica album in the making...haha
  • Like 1

Not a bad song at all! Although it would be better if Lars lost the headband :LOL:

Did anyone else notice that the (music?) stand in front of Hetfield has the band name misspelled as "METLLICA"?

• Like 2

Not a bad song at all! Although it would be better if Lars lost the headband :LOL:

Did anyone else notice that the (music?) stand in front of Hetfield has the band name misspelled as "METLLICA"?

I noticed...but the "Metallica Brasil" banner behind James caught my attention even more!

• Like 1

Oh and I will never grow up so yes, I love when members create a thread to bash something. METALLICA is one of the most overrated, commercial hard pop bands on the planet with one of the worst drummers in the world!!

Once Cliff Burton passed this band was OVER.

MetallicaTV.

Says the Dokken, Ratt fan...tell me...how are they less mainstream and generic than Metallica?

because they suck :)

Dude I'm defending Metallica here...

Who are you referring too?

(I like all three...I just don't get how you can slate one band for these reasons but love otherwise very generic metal of the sort Metallica never dabbled in).

Sorry, I was referring to Dokken and Ratt :)

Well you're wrong about that

Oh and I will never grow up so yes, I love when members create a thread to bash something. METALLICA is one of the most overrated, commercial hard pop bands on the planet with one of the worst drummers in the world!!

Once Cliff Burton passed this band was OVER.

MetallicaTV.

Says the Dokken, Ratt fan...tell me...how are they less mainstream and generic than Metallica?

because they suck :)

Dude I'm defending Metallica here...

Who are you referring too?

(I like all three...I just don't get how you can slate one band for these reasons but love otherwise very generic metal of the sort Metallica never dabbled in).

Sorry, I was referring to Dokken and Ratt :)

Well you're wrong about that

Not if that's his opinion

• Like 1

I'm two(ish) listens in and I quite like it. Be warned(!!!) there are some Load-like songs and by that I mean more King Nothing and less Mama Said. But what I specifically mean is the mid-tempo, beefy hard-rock/metal riff. Sometimes it's Sabbathy and sometimes it's Bleeding Of Me.

My initial impression is that disc 1 is superior. There is a fatty center (the first few on disc 2) that mark kind of a murky "meh" section, all quite listenable, riffy, etc...but a bit too unmemorable. Nothing fatal, but not up to the snuff of the rest right now. I think this might've been a 7-8 song single discs (throw the last two off disc 2 onto disc 1 as is for an impressive outing). Thankfully the last two cuts on disc 2 (Murder One and Spit Out The Bone) redeem disc two entirely. Admittedly I'm less familiar with these cuts, so my "they lack memorable qualities" comment can also be attributed to knowing them less than the first three singles.

My impression is that the album mostly centers on an amalgam of previous Metallica sounds, including Load, Master of Puppets (present on a few cuts, believe it or not), and their most recent outing...with some of the thrashy nods hearkening back further. The only real NWOBHM-isms occur in the two songs we've already heard and not much else, but I LOVE that it's there at all. Two songs are certifiable thrash, the first and last cuts.

Just a few notes on each:

Hardwired: We've discussed. Nice album starter. Pure, simple thrash. Remains an album highlight.

Atlas, Rise!: I've come to really love this song and its several Maiden-isms. Top shelf song on the album.

Now That We're Dead: I liked this immediately. Good slow burn. Catchy.

Moth Into Flame: A great cut. Still arguably the best cut on the album.

Dream No More: This song is really awesome. It didn't speak to me on first listen, but I've listened twice more and really dig it, especially the great MoP like chugging chorus and the belting of "...Cthulhu awakens!!" Rad.

Halo On Fire: Another solid cut. Great, catchy chorus (maybe the best chorus on the album). Reminds me of Bleeding Of Me, which I don't have a problem with.

Confusion: Good song. Getting into it more on a third listen, but I like it least of the ones preceding it, even still. Cool lyrics about war vets. Grower.

ManUnkind: f***ing dumb title has a nice Rob intro to it. Kind 'meh' but I know this one probably least of all. Quite listenable.

Here Comes Revenge: Learning this still. Only one listen to this one. Not bad. Room to grow. My lack of enthusiasm on this one is purely due to lack of familiarity, but it didn't POP like the first three tracks we were exposed to.

Am I Savage: Easily the oddest song on the record in terms of construction. Not as brutal as the title suggests. This one stretches the Metallica boundaries, structurally, maybe more than any of the songs do. Not really sure what my thoughts are outside it being unique. Room to grow.

Murder One: Ending on a high note after a bit of a vanilla double stuff center. Good song. Solid. Fitting tribute to Lemmy.

Spit Out The Bone: Pretty awesome shit and the only other true thrash song on the album. Has a killer little guitar bit that floats under the beat. Very unique. Lots of changes on this one (including some choice playing by Trujillo), but it's a belter and will be a crowd pleaser throughout. Had this been the first thing we heard I'd have smiled wide.

Other impressions:

RECORDING: Top notch. No f***ing Guitar Hero shit needed here. Not brickwalled. Can hear everything quite well. Best recording/mix/mastering since Load or The Black Album. Really elated these guys didn't f**k up this aspect again. Between DM's brickwall and St. Anger's shitty minimalist recording, this is a blessing.

PLAYING: Everyone is great, honestly. Plenty of wah, but Kirk is on point throughout. Lars' drumming is quite good too IMO. I mean, it's Ulrich...but the drum tone is improved and some of his work is very good for him. James's singing is the best it's sounded in many years. Avoids that Load-era crooning shit, but isn't nearly as up-front and DRY sounding as DM and St. Anger either. A bit more echo and depth and just a stronger effort from him.

CONSTRUCTION: Songs are largely simpler here. Not quite DM's penchant for a thousand changes per song, although that does happen now and again on some tracks...but to greater effect here I think. It's a bit less progressive feeling than Death Magnetic and a bit more straight forward.

OVERALL: Clearly room to grow on some tracks, but a solid B for me. Some of these cuts are as good as anything they've done in 25+ years, so I'm very encouraged there. It's a bit like Maiden's latest album where clearly it's a bit indulgent and there was probably room to purge down to a rock solid 8 cuts, but after 8 years I don't blame them for throwing a few more tracks on it, the worst of which is listenable as its biggest sin. IMO there are no embarrassing moments like much of St. Anger or the more iffy, croony moments from Load and Reload. No outright ballads either, although a few lilting sections of songs.

• Like 3

I'm two(ish) listens in and I quite like it. Be warned(!!!) there are some Load-like songs and by that I mean more King Nothing and less Mama Said. But what I specifically mean is the mid-tempo, beefy hard-rock/metal riff. Sometimes it's Sabbathy and sometimes it's Bleeding Of Me.

My initial impression is that disc 1 is superior. There is a fatty center (the first few on disc 2) that mark kind of a murky "meh" section, all quite listenable, riffy, etc...but a bit too unmemorable. Nothing fatal, but not up to the snuff of the rest right now. I think this might've been a 7-8 song single discs (throw the last two off disc 2 onto disc 1 as is for an impressive outing). Thankfully the last two cuts on disc 2 (Murder One and Spit Out The Bone) redeem disc two entirely. Admittedly I'm less familiar with these cuts, so my "they lack memorable qualities" comment can also be attributed to knowing them less than the first three singles.

My impression is that the album mostly centers on an amalgam of previous Metallica sounds, including Load, Master of Puppets (present on a few cuts, believe it or not), and their most recent outing...with some of the thrashy nods hearkening back further. The only real NWOBHM-isms occur in the two songs we've already heard and not much else, but I LOVE that it's there at all. Two songs are certifiable thrash, the first and last cuts.

Just a few notes on each:

Hardwired: We've discussed. Nice album starter. Pure, simple thrash. Remains an album highlight.

Atlas, Rise!: I've come to really love this song and its several Maiden-isms. Top shelf song on the album.

Now That We're Dead: I liked this immediately. Good slow burn. Catchy.

Moth Into Flame: A great cut. Still arguably the best cut on the album.

Dream No More: This song is really awesome. It didn't speak to me on first listen, but I've listened twice more and really dig it, especially the great MoP like chugging chorus and the belting of "...Cthulhu awakens!!" Rad.

Halo On Fire: Another solid cut. Great, catchy chorus (maybe the best chorus on the album). Reminds me of Bleeding Of Me, which I don't have a problem with.

Confusion: Good song. Getting into it more on a third listen, but I like it least of the ones preceding it, even still. Cool lyrics about war vets. Grower.

ManUnkind: f***ing dumb title has a nice Rob intro to it. Kind 'meh' but I know this one probably least of all. Quite listenable.

Here Comes Revenge: Learning this still. Only one listen to this one. Not bad. Room to grow. My lack of enthusiasm on this one is purely due to lack of familiarity, but it didn't POP like the first three tracks we were exposed to.

Am I Savage: Easily the oddest song on the record in terms of construction. Not as brutal as the title suggests. This one stretches the Metallica boundaries, structurally, maybe more than any of the songs do. Not really sure what my thoughts are outside it being unique. Room to grow.

Murder One: Ending on a high note after a bit of a vanilla double stuff center. Good song. Solid. Fitting tribute to Lemmy.

Spit Out The Bone: Pretty awesome shit and the only other true thrash song on the album. Has a killer little guitar bit that floats under the beat. Very unique. Lots of changes on this one (including some choice playing by Trujillo), but it's a belter and will be a crowd pleaser throughout. Had this been the first thing we heard I'd have smiled wide.

Other impressions:

RECORDING: Top notch. No f***ing Guitar Hero shit needed here. Not brickwalled. Can hear everything quite well. Best recording/mix/mastering since Load or The Black Album. Really elated these guys didn't f**k up this aspect again. Between DM's brickwall and St. Anger's shitty minimalist recording, this is a blessing.

PLAYING: Everyone is great, honestly. Plenty of wah, but Kirk is on point throughout. Lars' drumming is quite good too IMO. I mean, it's Ulrich...but the drum tone is improved and some of his work is very good for him. James's singing is the best it's sounded in many years. Avoids that Load-era crooning shit, but isn't nearly as up-front and DRY sounding as DM and St. Anger either. A bit more echo and depth and just a stronger effort from him.

CONSTRUCTION: Songs are largely simpler here. Not quite DM's penchant for a thousand changes per song, although that does happen now and again on some tracks...but to greater effect here I think. It's a bit less progressive feeling than Death Magnetic and a bit more straight forward.

OVERALL: Clearly room to grow on some tracks, but a solid B for me. Some of these cuts are as good as anything they've done in 25+ years, so I'm very encouraged there. It's a bit like Maiden's latest album where clearly it's a bit indulgent and there was probably room to purge down to a rock solid 8 cuts, but after 8 years I don't blame them for throwing a few more tracks on it, the worst of which is listenable as its biggest sin. IMO there are no embarrassing moments like much of St. Anger or the more iffy, croony moments from Load and Reload. No outright ballads either, although a few lilting sections of songs.

Thanks for the great review. I can't wait to hear it. I am waiting for the CD to listen. ;)

^^^ lol First time I saw the cover online I thought it was a gag.

I wasn't planning on getting this album, but once they released all the tracks online for preview I figure I could reward them with a $10 amazon CD purchase (once again the MP3 only of the album is MORE than the CD and free MP3s you get with the CD purchase). The few tracks I've heard are okay. I liked Death magnetic, and to my ears this is of similar attitude.

• Like 1