Poll for those who CANNOT see YouTube videos

x1yyz

Info on people who CANNOT see YouTube videos on TRF  

10 members have voted

1. 1. I use this platform/browser and see black boxes instead of YouTube video previews:

• Mac/Chrome
    • Mac/Safari
    • Mac/Firefox
    • Mac/Mozilla
    • Mac/Opera
    • Windows/Chrome
    • Windows/IE
    • Windows/Firefox
    • Windows/Opera
    • *nix/Chrome
    • *nix/Firefox
    • *nix/Mozilla
    • *nix/Opera
    • iOS/Safari
    • iOS/Chrome
    • Other - Please mention below

Hi there. As you may be aware, many TRFer are unable to see YouTube video previews in their browsers. The previews instead show up as a black box. However, some other users can see the previews just fine. The first step to diagnosing the problem is to determine exactly which platforms and browsers are having the issue. If you are seeing the black boxes instead of the previews please tick the appropriate box. In case you use multiple computers you can check multiple boxes.

If you know which operating system and browser versions you are using please post that info as well. Hopefully this poll will help the admins determine the problem.

• Like 1

HomesickAlien is a browser hoarder, he has something like 20-30 browsers that he switches between. Insane, I know.

Anyway, according to him he was getting the cursed black box on open source firefox browsers such as "pale moon", but on the actual firefox (windows/firefox, latest version I assume) he could see embedded videos.

• Like 2

Just get off of dial up!

How hard is this?

Why don't YOU get in touch with what goes on outside of SOCN?

I've been off of dial-up for over two months.

Not to mention this problem has nothing to do with the speed of connectivity.

I think Sheldon Cooper was making a joke... But it was a lame one :D

• Like 1

Just get off of dial up!

How hard is this?

Why don't YOU get in touch with what goes on outside of SOCN?

I've been off of dial-up for over two months.

Not to mention this problem has nothing to do with the speed of connectivity.

I think Sheldon Cooper was making a joke... But it was a lame one :D

I only make pertinent and amusing, if not hilarious, jokes.

• Like 1

If people would finally learn to take the "s" out of "https" it would probably clear up a lot of problems.

It's not that. I can see YT vids on here using Firefox, but not IE11 -- on the same computer.

Nothing has changed with the board software to cause this, but something's changed with YouTube and how it works with some browsers while on TRF. This poll may help establish a pattern.

• Like 3

YOU GUYS !!! THIS IS SO WEIRD !!! I didn't change or update anything on my computer. (Mac OS X with Safari and sometimes Firefox) I am so tired of seeing the black bars, so I wanted to poll accurately.

So I went to double check in Firefox AND THE BARS WERE GONE ! I COULD SEE VIDEOS !! AND WHEN I CAME BACK TO TRF IN SAFARI I COULD SEE THE VIDEOS AGAIN !! NO MORE BLACK BARS WHEN I JUST HAD THEM LIKE TEN MINUTES AGO !!

Wish I knew what I did so that I could help everyone else having this issue . . . . .

• Like 1

YOU GUYS !!! THIS IS SO WEIRD !!! I didn't change or update anything on my computer. (Mac OS X with Safari and sometimes Firefox) I am so tired of seeing the black bars, so I wanted to poll accurately.

So I went to double check in Firefox AND THE BARS WERE GONE ! I COULD SEE VIDEOS !! AND WHEN I CAME BACK TO TRF IN SAFARI I COULD SEE THE VIDEOS AGAIN !! NO MORE BLACK BARS WHEN I JUST HAD THEM LIKE TEN MINUTES AGO !!

Wish I knew what I did so that I could help everyone else having this issue . . . . .

Thank you, Earl!

• Like 1

If anything, we only spent all that time teaching everyone to unsecure links simply to make a 180 degree turn

For whatever it's worth, in allegiance with all of those who're suffering from the black box curse: I'm posting a direct secured (https) link as well as embedding every video (http) until this problem is solved... Whenever that may be :LOL:

• Like 2

Thank you, Earl!

I'll take it, whoever Earl is! :D :D :D

The latest version of firefox appears to be the anecdotal solution to this.

If people would finally learn to take the "s" out of "https" it would probably clear up a lot of problems.

Actually, taking the "s" out of "https" (and thus embedding the video) results in the videos we can't see. If you leave the "s" in, then at least we get a link we can click on to take us to the video.
  • Like 4

The latest version of firefox appears to be the anecdotal solution to this.

They have a new version since 4 days ago? I'm cool with that, I don't pay much attention to Firefox. But why would that allow me to be able to see videos in Safari again as well? So strange. Yet wonderful.

I have Firefox 47.0.1

Edited by blueschica