The Best Guests. - Favorite Guest Musicians

ReRushed

As I was listening to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" I started to think of all the great musicians who made guest appearances on other musicians' recordings.

Clapton absolutely shines on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" giving the song an urgency George's band mates wouldn't or couldn't provide.

Then I thought of Alex Lifeson's guitar solo on Porcupine Tree's "Anesthetize". A wonderful moment that enhances the song.

Then I thought of my beloved Replacements having my beloved Peter Buck play on "I Will Dare".

Then I thought of Jon Anderson singing on King Crimson's "Lizard". His vocals always jolt me a bit and then settle in perfectly.

Let's share and discuss some of our "best guests"...

Ha!

I was thinking Clapton and The Beatles as well!

That song is what made me a fan.

• Like 1

As I was listening to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" I started to think of all the great musicians who made guest appearances on other musicians' recordings.

Clapton absolutely shines on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" giving the song an urgency George's band mates wouldn't or couldn't provide.

Then I thought of Alex Lifeson's guitar solo on Porcupine Tree's "Anesthetize". A wonderful moment that enhances the song.

Then I thought of my beloved Replacements having my beloved Peter Buck play on "I Will Dare".

Then I thought of Jon Anderson singing on King Crimson's "Lizard". His vocals always jolt me a bit and then settle in perfectly.

Let's share and discuss some of our "best guests"...

George Harrison on Badge by Cream.

and who can forget Aimee Mann helping out with Time Stand Still...Rush's version of 'Shiney Happy People' by REM. I'm mocking if you can't tell.

I love both these songs.

• Like 1

Good thread. Lemme think...

Steve Walsh and Phil Ehart of Kansas on Steve Hackett's Please Don't Touch

David Bowie on "Under Pressure"

Sting on "Money For Nothing"

Paul McCartney on "The Girl Is Mine"

EVH on "Beat It"

Hugh Syme and Aimee Mann ;)

• Like 1

and who can forget Aimee Mann helping out with Time Stand Still...Rush's version of 'Shiney Happy People' by REM. I'm mocking if you can't tell.

I love both these songs.

I love Kate Pierson in that song

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen contributed to the Lou Reed song "Street Hassle". He did a spoken word reference to "Born to Run".

I remember being a little confused the first time I listened to the song. At the time, there was no internet to quickly look up and confirm if it was, indeed, Bruce Springsteen. All I knew is it sounded like him.

Oh thank goodness! Rush deserves to be drawn and quartered for that act of heresy.

• Like 1

SRV on Bowie's Let Dance album.

Interesting article on SRV working with Bowie. Apparently they told SRV that they would open for Bowie on his tour, then dumped him on the sidewalk with his gear before leaving. Really DICK move by Bowie.

http://www.guitarworld.com/david-bowie-stevie-ray-vaughan-connection-lets-dance-cat-people/26104

• Like 2

I love both these songs.

I love Kate Pierson in that song

I think Peter Buck's expression for the 10 seconds that he's in the video says it all. Here I'll pretend to play a mandolin even though there's not any in the song. Then I'll kill myself.

https://www.youtube....h?v=iCQ0vDAbF7s

From Wikipedia:

In its 2006 "Song of the Summer" countdown, CBC Radio's Freestyle named "Shiny Happy People" 1991's "Song of the Summer".[2][3] By contrast, in 2006, the song received the No. 1 position on AOL Music's list of the "111 Wussiest Songs of All Time".[4] Blender magazine also ranked the song No. 35 on its list of the "50 Worst Songs Ever",[5] and Q magazine included it in a list of "Ten Terrible Records by Great Artists" in 2005.[6] When Michael Stipe made an appearance on Space Ghost Coast to Coast in 1995, he simply stated "I hate that song, Space Ghost." Due to the band's dislike of the song, it was one of their few Warner-released singles not included on their 2003 greatest hits album In Time. However, it was later included on their 2011 greatest hits album Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage 1982–2011.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1