Best Live Performance of a Song Compared to Its Recorded Version

maplelevy

I apologize if this topic has been posted previously - I am relatively new to this forum. Even if it has, maybe it's worth revisiting.

Rush has so many amazing live recordings and I find that I cannot get a good workout in without scanning YouTube for a great mix.

I am sure there are many great choices, but there is one song that I actually can't listen to the recorded version, because the live version (on a couple of different occasions) is (IMHO) so far superior. And my winner is - from Grace Under Pressure, "Between the Wheels." From the slower tempo, heavier sound to Alex's solo, to the energy of the threesome during the performance(s), it's become one of my favorite songs overall.

But I am curious to hear what the experts say and can't wait to check out these choices!

• Like 2

The Universe Divided / Black Forest version of 2112 is incredible .. Geddy's bass in Grand Finale is some of my favorite

That whole show blew my mind. Greatness embodied for sure

• Like 1

Anything Vapor Trails live is better than the album.

For me ANYTHING live is better than anything on a studio album. Many times it isn't even close.

I would say with Rush that's true if you're in the audience. Otherwise most bootlegs really don't capture the feeling of being there.

• Like 1

Anything Vapor Trails live is better than the album.

For me ANYTHING live is better than anything on a studio album. Many times it isn't even close.

I would say with Rush that's true if you're in the audience. Otherwise most bootlegs really don't capture the feeling of being there.

That's absolutely true, but live albums/bootlegs still blow away anything on the studio albums. (At least in my case they do.)

• Like 1

Its easier to say which song that is better on studio then live. In my opinion they do all their songs better live then studio.

than, actually. If it were then, it would be a totally different meaning and you would be contradicting yourself :LOL:

Either way it sounds like a contradiction. Than or then, but than is the correct word.