In the Court of the Crimson King vs The Dark Side of the Moon

Bigbobby10

In the Court of the Crimson King vs The Dark Side of the Moon  

35 members have voted

1. 1. In the Court of the Crimson King vs The Dark Side of the Moon

• In the Court of the Crimson King
    • The Dark Side of the Moon

And hey, Dark Side of the Moon was Pink Floyd at their best, while In the Court of the Crimson King, at least in some ways, was King Crimson just getting warmed up.

I'll take Larks Tongue, Starless, Red, Discipline, and THRAK over their debut almost any day.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

And hey, Dark Side of the Moon was Pink Floyd at their best, while In the Court of the Crimson King, at least in some ways, King Crimson just getting warmed up.

In the past, at least half of TRFers have mentioned Dark Side NOT being Floyd's best. So there's that.

And hey, Dark Side of the Moon was Pink Floyd at their best, while In the Court of the Crimson King, at least in some ways, King Crimson just getting warmed up.

In the past, at least half of TRFers have mentioned Dark Side NOT being Floyd's best. So there's that.

I'm well aware of this, but I completely disagree...

I'm pretty sure that it's mainly due to the overexposure of Dark Side which leads them to end up thinking Animals, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Atom Heart, or even The Wall is a better album.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that it's mainly due to the overexposure of Dark Side which leads them to end up thinking Animals, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Atom Heart, or even The Wall is a better album.

To me Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals can be compared to Hemispheres to Moving Pictures. All 6 are perfect to my ears but I'd still give the edge to Dark Side and MP. Exposure doesn't bother me. Their enduring popularity is welcome.

• Like 1

To me Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals can be compared to Hemispheres to Moving Pictures. All 6 are perfect to my ears but I'd still give the edge to Dark Side and MP. Exposure doesn't bother me. Their enduring popularity is welcome.

I've never been a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I've listened through their discography, and especially their most acclaimed albums, several times. Dark Side of The Moon is their best album, while Wish You Were Here is the only one that can hold a candle to it. Meddle, Animals, and Atom all are good albums, but in comparison to Dark Side they're not really all that great - not as albums as wholes anyway.

My favorite Pink Floyd songs are: Time and Echoes.

Two bloody great albums,but DSOTM just edges it, mainly because of "that" Gilmour guitar solo halfway thru Time.Awesome!

A much as I enjoy DSOTM though I'd still not swap it with Meddle,Atom Heart Mother or WYWH!

ITCOTCK is a great record too,but I still prefer Larks Tongues in Aspic,Red and Discipline over this!

• Like 1

In The Court...

I had a brief dalliance with Pink Floyd for like...a day...this year.

But they suck. I don't actually care if that upsets anyone.

However King Crimson are amazing and have never disappointed me once. This album was my first and it may still be my favourite.

• Like 1

In The Court...

However King Crimson are amazing and have never disappointed me once. This album was my first and it may still be my favourite.

For the longest time I outright thought that Pink Floyd sucked and didn't even care to give it a second thought, while, at the the same time, I found King Crimson to be, at the very least, decent.

I'm not saying that this will be the same experience that you have, but for me personally, Pink Floyd was a long, slow, and painful warm up... Maybe it had something to do with my abstinence of psychedelic drugs ;)

Edited by Mr. Not

Pink Floyd managed to do what few others could, make commercially viable progressive rock. The fact that this album was on the charts for 10+ years is a testament to its near perfect construction. Although I do like "Court", it is a pimple on the butt of progressive rock when compared to DSOTM.
  • Like 4

In The Court...

For the longest time I outright thought thought that Pink Floyd sucked and didn't even care to give it a second though, while, at the the same time, I found King Crimson to be, at the very least, decent.

I'm not saying that this will be the same experience that you have, but for me personally, Pink Floyd was a long, slow, and painful warm up... Maybe it had something to do with my abstinence of psychedelic drugs ;)

I lovrd Floyd looooong before...um, enlightenment.

;)

• Like 1

I am not a Floyd hater though.

I know their is a lot of beauty in their sound.

• Like 1

[opinion]

Court of the Crimson King is one of only a few albums by KC I don't own. I had it a while back, then dumped it with a bunch of other CDs when they still had value. Don't miss it.

I also don't care for Barrett era Floyd. My PF collection starts with Atom Heart Mother.

[/opinion]

Edited by stoopid

In The Court...

For the longest time I outright thought thought that Pink Floyd sucked and didn't even care to give it a second though, while, at the the same time, I found King Crimson to be, at the very least, decent.

I lovrd Floyd looooong before...um, enlightenment.

;)

Same here. Pre, during, and post "enlightenment"

• Like 1

[opinion]

Court of the Crimson King is one of only a few albums by KC I don't own. I had it a while back, then dumped it with a bunch of other CDs when they still had value. Don't miss it.

I also don't care for Barrett era Floyd. My PF collection starts with Atom Heart Mother.

[/opinion]

Then your collection should start with Saucerful.

[opinion]

[/opinion]

Then your collection should start with Saucerful.

They needed a bit of time to get warmed up, and less "weird".