Anathema

djflex

Fwiw, I'm getting my second listen in at work now (decent earbuds, so don't worry not PC speakers lol) and I'm enjoying it more now that my expectations, wrongly set by the reviews I read, have been pushed aside and I'm allowing myself to enjoy the music for what it actually is - another Anathema album. :)
  • Like 2

Got the new album and at last a ticket for Manchester in September ! :D

It will be my first Anathema Gig !

• Like 1

I never thought their newer material was 'hopeful', there's an unresolved tension in their music that seems consistent throughout all the albums I've heard (even before WHBWH). To my ears, admittedly only recently as fan, this sounds like a lot like their last 3 albums. *shrug*

In the past I've seen "return to their roots" touted by fans of a band on nearly every new release, but an objective set of ears don't make the connection. Most recently the latest Metallica album - it's sounds exactly like Death Magnetic, and yet fans that loved the new one but hated Death Magnetic's production would kill me for even suggesting that. :P

fixed that for you

I never thought their newer material was 'hopeful', there's an unresolved tension in their music that seems consistent throughout all the albums I've heard (even before WHBWH). To my ears, admittedly only recently as fan, this sounds like a lot like their last 3 albums. *shrug*

In the past I've seen "return to their roots" touted by fans of a band on nearly every new release, but an objective set of ears don't make the connection. Most recently the latest Metallica album - it's sounds exactly like Death Magnetic, and yet fans that loved the new one but hated Death Magnetic's production would kill me for even suggesting that. :P

fixed that for you

Well, yeah. The production was bad, but most 'fans' didn't even notice. They claim the music is actually different on Hardwired.

Edited by stoopid

Well, I'm a bit disappointed in this album on first listen. Some of it is interesting, but the ideas don't seem all that fleshed out to me. Not a lot of the album resonated with me. That 11-minute track at the end had no business being that lengthy. I was expecting this huge conclusion to the album, but it was a big let down for me. Also, I heard some clipping in the audio on several tracks. So, that was also fairly disappointing.

I'll give it another listen later on tonight, but their last three albums had a significant impact on me pretty quickly, so I'm wondering if this is just a grower or if it's not that good. I guess I'll see.

Also, I heard some clipping in the audio on several tracks. So, that was also fairly disappointing.

There's definitely some lo-fi mastering at work here, the kick drum 'pumps' on almost every track with drums, it's a tell that the mastering engineer (possibly mixing) didn't know what they were doing. I wonder why that is, their prior albums sounded okay.

I also agree that this isn't my favorite of their last 3 or 4 albums. I got through two listens, then turned to KXM's album and haven't looked back. I was planning to come back to it, if only because I spend $13 on the album. :P But overall impression thus far is much like yours - a very mixed bag.