Bands That Are Special To You

I'll give this a whirl. I had quite a bit of classical training on piano and viola as a kid, so my ear tends to lean towards bands or artists that more progressive or daring with their material. I have picky tastes....either I really like them or they're probably boring to me. As a guitar player, I'm a sucker for someone with a heavy Hendrix influence. In no particular order.

Rush - hard rock with time and key changes out of the blue. my perfect band.

ELP, Yes, Kansas - rock with classical influence.

Dixie Dregs - all over the place with nearly every genre covered on an album. extra balls for no singer as well.

SRV - hendrix resurrected with texas blues and a touch of jazzer

RHCP - I'm into the Frusciante years, again the Hendrixy influence.

Soundgarden - weird tunings, time signatures, grunge meets eastern influenced trippy music. cornell, thayil, cameron all phenomenal. and then there's Ben the bass player who's lucky to have a job.

AIC - the bluntness and darkness of their material. Layne's voice and Jerry's face melting guitar.

Pat Metheny - my jazzer guilty pleasure. what a sweet, clean guitar tone.always pushing for something new even later in his career.

Jeff Beck - amazing trickery of guitar sounds. constantly changing direction of his material with a DGAF attitude. Of Beck, Clapton and Page, Beck is the most interesting IMO.

Black Crowes - Stones/Allman Bros influence.

I'm probably forgetting 20 more, but this post would last all night if I listed them all.

• Like 2

Silverchair is my new favorite band. They're like a precious metal. It's tragic that they never get any airplay here. This song is so epic and mindblowing. I could listen to it a million times and never grow tired of it.

http://youtu.be/c-eVmAzx4og

• Like 3

The Cure, I found so many great friends n my true love bc this band ( I love u so much with all my heart Mary :heart: ) n they have made me so so so so so so so happy ever since I staned them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pearl Thompson also became n still is my idol n insperation n hero!!!!!!!!!!! Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 1

Silverchair is my new favorite band. They're like a precious metal. It's tragic that they never get any airplay here. This song is so epic and mindblowing. I could listen to it a million times and never grow tired of it.

http://youtu.be/c-eVmAzx4og

I had a good friend in high school who was a huge grunge fan, just about all he really cared for. His top three favorite bands were Nirvana, Fuel, and Linkin Park if I recall, but at some point he started listening to Silverchair and got completely hooked on them, then he got me to listen to them a bit. Of all the things he ever got me to listen to (which inclues Nirvana actually), Silverchair were the greatest thing he ever turned me on to. Brilliant band. Should listen to them a lot more than I do.

• Like 2

Maybe not really the band, but the album From Under The Cork Tree by Fall Out Boy has become the biggest part of the soundtrack to my life over the past couple months. Now, that's still probably a pretty small percentage since I listen to so much stuff, but that album I just keep coming back to over and over and over again and keep being amazed every time the next song is just as good as the one right before it. I keep walking around singing Seven Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halen), Sugar We're Going Down, Dance Dance, A Little Less Sixteen Candles A Little More "Touch Me," and basically every song here. They're all brilliantly written, emotionally piercing pop punk anthems, and I'm sure one day very far down the road, after having probably taken a break from the whole pop punk style for a while, I'll listen to this again and be sent right back into the middle of this sophomore year of college. So yes, I've decided, much as many may hate the whole style and everything bands like Fall Out Boy stand for, From Under The Cork Tree is very special to me.

That said, anyone who loves pop punk and doesn't listen to Eve 6 (and I do not just mean "Inside Out," not even their best song), needs to do themselves a favor and check out their s/t debut and their second album, Horrorscope. Eve 6 were basically better at the whole 90s/00s pop punk thing than even Green Day, and their lyrics are too immaturely fun and "clever" to be true. True shame they never really took off.

• Like 2