Bands That Are Special To You

The Moody Blues

From 1968 through 1972, they were me and I was them.

I think back now and wonder why or what it was about them. Taken out of the context of that time, it loses everything. But they did their job back them, and quite well too.

I think this is great. Personally, I love having memories like this regarding music. Whenever I go back and listen to the music of my youth it opens a floodgate of memories. Good times and bad times. Old friends, people who are still friends.

• Like 3

REM

Yes. R.E.M. will always be special to me. High school through college. I never doubted their sincerity. And the songs. Love 'em.

Sincere. That's a perfect description for them. :yes:
  • Like 1

Special to me?

My transformations from child through adolescence, fatherhood, and middle-aged have ushered many into my life.

The most impactful: (With apologies, a lot of bands took me into new corners of the music world and there are definitely more. I think I broadened the term special too much)

Stanley Brothers (and many other Blue Grass greats. The music of my heritage)

Loretta Lynn (More heritage music)

Men At Work (The first band that I liked independent of anyone else's opinion. I got into them on my own. For those who are interested, Colin Hay's

solo work is stellar, far better than Men At Work)

The Clash (My introduction to punk)

Rush (My adolescent favorites hands down)

Midnight Oil (A stellar back catalog that supported my interest in them when they broke in the US.)

Bad Religion (Lyrical and learned, my favorite band to emerge from the original hardcore scene.)

Bolt Thrower (The band that granted me access to the harshest metal)

The Coup (Along with Sage, my favorite hip hop)

Cro-Mags (The band that got me into hardcore, because a girl sat next to me in Linguistics class)

Butthole Surfers (The band that got me into anything and everything weird. Captain Beefheart, The Residents, etc.)

Admiral James T. (The first band I discovered by just randomly exploring music across the internet. Myspace used to have a GREAT feature. You

could click on a genre, click on a country, and every band that described themselves as being in that genre and from that country would come

up. The Admiral is from Switzerland and plays in different styles, best categorized as simply rock-n-roll.

Slim Cessna's Auto Club (Along with the United Steel Workers of Montreal, bands that allowed me to listen to country stylings again as I really

REALLY hate modern country radio. There are a lot of bands that will never be on country radio. Throw the Drive By Truckers in there as well)

Fishbone (The band that introduced me to the ska/punk realm)

Natalie Merchant (From her punkish early Maniacs to the later soft Maniacs to her solo career, she first showed me that I can like soft music, too.)

• Like 1

The GotNeilPeart Allstars! Their albums Teen Girl Fart Queen, Big Girl Socks, Shades and an Ice Cream, Tanned Legs and white Face Blisters and Teeny Bopper Stew are legendary! Edited by treeduck

Stanley Brothers (and many other Blue Grass greats. The music of my heritage)

Loretta Lynn (More heritage music)

Men At Work (The first band that I liked independent of anyone else's opinion. I got into them on my own. For those who are interested, Colin Hay's

solo work is stellar, far better than Men At Work)

Midnight Oil (A stellar back catalog that supported my interest in them when they broke in the US.)

Natalie Merchant (From her punkish early Maniacs to the later soft Maniacs to her solo career, she first showed me that I can like soft music, too.)

:goodone:
  • Like 2

Midnight Oil are talking about getting back together but I hope they don't.

Clapton has been the centre of my musical life since 1966 when I heard John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. I've listened to pretty much every thing he's produced since and made special trips to Cleveland to see him live twice (but missed Rush). I converted two of my husbands, and played Tears in Heaven at my late husband's funeral. He's an entirely different genre from Rush, so I can't compare them.

Then there's all the quirky bands I picked up along the way, most of whom I like before they had their moment of fame. The Call, Blur, Fountains of Wayne, Mondo Rock, Powderfinger, etc. My iPod is full of weird bands.

• Like 1

For all the bands I love and rave about, the ones that truly mean the most to me are:

Lacuna Coil

HIM

Within Temptation

Nightwish

Jimmy Eat World

Juliana Theory

Idlewild

Bruce Springsteen

Paradise Lost

Sonata Arctica

Absolutely love many more bands, some with albums I love more than almost anything these guys have put out...but these one's truly define my collection.

EDIT:

Toto

Strangeways

ABBA

Khoma

Thrice

Edited by Segue Myles

My Updated list........really not that updated when i'm talking about bands/artists that are Special to me, lol

Neal Morse/spock's Beard

The Beatles

Queen

Toto

Pink Floyd

Jimmy Eat World

Billy Joel

The Band

Tom Waits

Zappa

CCR

Captain Beefheart

Elton John

Meat Loaf

Steely Dan

Prince

Dream Theater

That's a good core Group

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Jimmy Eat World

Bae.

of all the bands you introduced me to.....and i've mostly liked them all......Jimmy is really the only one to take a firm hold on me.

Mick

I spent MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS hinting, prodding, poking...glad it paid off!

• Like 1

Aside from :rush: which I'd think is a given, here's eight bands that made the biggest mark on me...

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson - The first modern band that I truly felt really enthusiastic and excited for. Laid the groundwork for every other modern band I've discovered since. Perhaps single handedly the most important band/musician to have entered my life in the past 10 years.

Iron Maiden - My gateway to metal. Enough said.

Opeth - My gateway to the more heavier and extreme genres of metal. Yet they released an album like Damnation which was just as amazing if not better than some of their heavier albums.

Katatonia - A more melancholic and darker Opeth that I eventually found to more to my liking than Opeth. If I had any singing talent, I'd wish I have a voice like Jonas Renkse's.

Isis - The defunct post-metal band, NOT the other group known as ISIS. If Neurosis was my introduction to post-metal, then Isis defined it for me and made me fall in love w/the genre. A band who knew when to gracefully disband and cemented their legacy as one of the most beloved bands of their genre because of it.

Dir En Grey - The first Japanese band to have left a deep impact on me and the first one that I didn't feel was just a gimmick band who clad themselves in outrageous outfits just for the sake of being visual and put little care into making meaningful music. They're seriously great musicians who just happen to dress fashionable and vocalist Kyo has such an impressive prowess, he can go from very emotive and beautiful sounding cleans straight into one of the most inhumane and throat damaging growls ever (damaging to the point he almost had to have surgery on his vocal cords). They're not for everyone, but for me they're awesome.

Sunn O))) - Pronounced "sun" (the O))) is just typography), the definitive drone band IMO. Compared to DEG, Sunn O))) is most definitely not for everyone and most definitely something that caters to a very niche audience. I didn't know what to think of them at first (and ironically it wasn't downright negative), but something happened when listening to them one day that made it all clicked for me. If it wasn't for Sunn O))), I probably wouldn't have evolved to being an explorative listener who's not afraid to try "out there" and "bizarre" music. Sunn O))) also has the distinction of being the loudest band I've ever seen (even with earplugs). They're so loud that no matter if you're in first row or all the way in the back, you can physically feel the vibrations of their riffs rippling through your trembling body. It was such a powerful experience I tripped over unintentionally and fell down while leaving the venue after the show.

maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot/Toby Driver - For me, Toby Driver is the American counterpart to Steven Wilson. And likewise (and I borrow a quote from the late Roger Ebert on his thoughts German director Werner Herzog), Toby has never created a single piece of work that was compromised, shameful, made for pragmatic reasons, or objectively uninteresting. His "failures"/duds are just as spectacular IMO.

• Like 1

Rush- They help me through everything and they always make me feel better. Plus, I started drumming more and writing lyrics because of Neil, he inspired me, and he still does now. His music has changed my life forever, for the better or worse, but I don't care. I have the music all because of Neil, and that's all that matters to me, the music, so special in my heart I could never give it up. Rush will be my favorite band forever and always, no matter what I say or what happens.

Yeah, Cheap Trick got me intrested in Rock music, but Rush was the band that made me wanna explore more. I love more because of Rush, they have done more to me then any other artist has, and that's why they will always be special in my heart :heart:

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 3

ABBA - Music of my childhood

JANIS JOPLIN - My heart & soul

KISS - My childhood magic. Kiss (1974) - Killers (1982)

MILES DAVIS - Pure magic in different forms, still the same...

MOTÖRHEAD - Rock 'N' Roll

RUSH - My friends for life

THE CHAMELEONS - Colorful, atmospheric & exciting

THE SMITHS - Beautiful music

THE THE - Everything about them is magnificent

Edited by Na na na
  • Like 2

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20120402/17/fountainroses/9f/10/j/t02200218_0441043611890875900.jpg Edited by goose

Graham Parker.

i've been a listening a couple months and man his music has registered with me more than any other band/artist has in a long time.

and also Mccartney.

Revisiting his stuff reminded me just how much i love him.

Mick

• Like 1

I left out early Cure, through Head on the Door. Really loved that stuff, still do. A Forest is probably my favorite of theirs but this b-side really takes me back. Kind has that early INXS vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE36xUS1QZo

My favorite b side of theirs besides Twilight Garden. Also very Psychedelic Furs sounding with Porl on sax.

Rush- They help me through everything and they always make me feel better. Plus, I started drumming more and writing lyrics because of Neil, he inspired me, and he still does now. His music has changed my life forever, for the better or worse, but I don't care. I have the music all because of Neil, and that's all that matters to me, the music, so special in my heart I could never give it up. Rush will be my favorite band forever and always, no matter what I say or what happens.

Yeah, Cheap Trick got me intrested in Rock music, but Rush was the band that made me wanna explore more. I love more because of Rush, they have done more to me then any other artist has, and that's why they will always be special in my heart :heart:

This is still true :heart:

• Like 1