Bands That Are Special To You

For me it's got to be Hatchet Pete and The Furious Hairless Chimps of Buckingham Palace. I particularly like their "We Swear Revenge on Princess Anne" and "Making a Monkey of Prince Phillip" albums!

You too?!?!? :o
  • Like 1

Wow...that's really a tough call...The bands that really got me into music early on were the Monkee's, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beach Boy's, and Queen. Then I heard my first Zappa, and that changed a lot...but I discovered Rush Yes, and Pink Floyd not TOO long after that in the mid 70's, and that opened up a big world for me. But to say which bands are "special".....

I'd have to go with Rush (obviously) Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Yes, and Chicago. With honorable mentions of Gov't Mule, Dave Matthews, and ELP

Sadly the only one I haven't seen live was Frank Zappa...but I've seen Dweezil several times, and he's carrying on the tradition!

• Like 2

Genesis was a gateway into prog for me. I never knew what it was all about when I First heard the song Misunderstanding. That lead me into all sorts of areas but rhey were the first. Over 36 years later I still love this band and many of its offshoots, but this music is very special to me, maybe more than say Floyd who I incidentally love more a band.

Rush. Obviously.

I love a ton of artists really, but the 3rd maybe is Peter Hammill. Pre internet I had to actually go to record stores and go browse magazines and books to seek out new music and discover the links which led to various acts and artists. Zappa and Crimson came at a time when I was really focused on discovering new artists, I was picking up tons of good ol' second hand vinyl and immersing myself in music during what was a very confusing and odd time for me, age 19-21. Robert Fripps first solo album was called Expoure and I listened to it on lp. This album had also featured vocals from Daryl Hall and Peter Gabriel but one song called Disengage featured a caterwauling, hysterical vocal from someone I had never heard before. He sounded like Rob Halford on speed and I never heard anyone who could sound like this. Once I discovered (my copy had no notes) who this was I had to hear his music. At around this time (1994) I went over to London to live and attend school for a semester and I knew I was going to be finding some rare things I could bring back home. Little did I know that he would have a new album out then and...a tour. He would be coming to London and I would see him. The rest is history. If you have never heard of him you owe it to yourself to seek him out.

if We're talking Individual artists.

my holy trinity

Waits

Zappa

Beefheart

Mick

Of course 3 of my all time faves.

People who have seen my Zappa collection are like, thats bigger than my whole cd collection!! ;)

I have a rather large one of those as well! hahahaha!

• Like 1

New Model Army...Bleak and nihilistic, yet uniquely warm and human, their lyrics in my view are unparalleled.

The Wildhearts .....Pop Punk as it was always meant to be, not the poncy American versions...loads of twists and turns, marvellous hooks and sharply observed lyrics

Kings X ......They speak to me on an almost spiritual level, and for this atheist bloke, thats hard to do.

Big Country......Epic and uplifting songs all done in a truly Scottish style which avoids cheesiness and brings a nationalist lump to the throat.

• Like 1

Rush

Zeppelin

Wire

Tones on Tail

The Beatles

The Smiths

Pixies

Radiohead

The Church

The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy

The Wedding Present/Cinerama

XTC

Teenage Fanclub

Big Star

Swell Maps

Nirvana

These are basically the bands where they could put out an album of white noise and I'd buy it just because it's them. Early Aerosmith (through Draw the Line) would have been included, but I definitely lost interest after that. Same for early New Order (through Low-Life).

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

DEVO

Me and a couple of my high school buddies were big into DEVO. We watched the vids, wore out the records, and caught the band together at the Paramount the summer before our senior year. It was a great show to end a great day of mobbing around the streets of Seattle. My buddy and I ended as part of the spring "slave auction", and we both wore our DEVO shirts. We ended up going for like five times what any other guys went for. Being sold as slave for a week brings me to...

AC/DC

Even more than RUSH, this was a band that defined my high school experience. I owned every album, knew every lyric, and learned to do a wicked Angus air guitar. I had all the mannerisms down. So, my "owners" made me come to school dressed as Angus, and at lunch I had to air guitar to "Rocker", probably the toughest song due to its tempo. A real workout. So, in the middle of lunch, I appear above the cafeteria at the top of the stairs, the music starts, and I get after it. There's a point in the song when there's a break at the end of Angus' solo. I raise my hand, Angus style, and the place erupts. It was a fun moment.

• Like 1

Truly special groups and solo artists that mean more to me than I can articulate in a brief post:

The Black Crowes

Rush

Genesis

Yes

Pink Floyd

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

George Harrison

The Who

Van Morrison

The Rolling Stones

Those are the towering groups and artists for me.

Edited by Powderfinger

The Beatles

Rush

The Monkees

The Velvet Underground

King Crimson

The Clash

Big Star

Wire

R.E.M.

XTC

Nirvana

Deerhunter

XTC certainly deserves more notice. Is there an even more great unrecognized songwriter in the world than Colin Mouldling. Has he ever written a lackluster tune?

The Beatles

Rush

The Monkees

The Velvet Underground

King Crimson

The Clash

Big Star

Wire

R.E.M.

XTC

Nirvana

Deerhunter

XTC certainly deserves more notice. Is there an even more great unrecognized songwriter in the world than Colin Mouldling. Has he ever written a lackluster tune?

He's written some stinkers, but his songs are always interesting in their ideas and arrangements. He has a great melodic sense and his bass playing in top notch. He'll always be Harrison to Partridge's Lennon/McCartney. I think he's currently retired from music.

• Like 1

Jethro Tull

They may be the band I most identify with. Not sure why, but I really connect with them...I suppose it's the way they blend elements of rock, blues, jazz, folk and classical...and their sense of humor, satire and irony.

And cod pieces. I'm a big fan of cod pieces.

• Like 2

Jethro Tull

They may be the band I most identify with. Not sure why, but I really connect with them...I suppose it's the way they blend elements of rock, blues, jazz, folk and classical...and their sense of humor, satire and irony.

WORD UP !

http://65.media.tumblr.com/b8c08934f384c8df863cbf633b3b73dc/tumblr_inline_n3q44kQinx1sd1v8v.jpg

Jethro Tull

WORD UP !

http://65.media.tumblr.com/b8c08934f384c8df863cbf633b3b73dc/tumblr_inline_n3q44kQinx1sd1v8v.jpg

:LOL:

Rush

N.M.A.

Meat puppets

Joy division.

And why

Rush have made music, with an artistic and philosophical approach thats connected with me in such a profound way. The existential angle the vast range of subject matter, covered over the decades, together with the insatiable musical approach and standard they have, makes them one of my deep favourites.

New model army. As Fridge mentioned they could be perceived as nihilistic, to me they are brutally honest. N.M.A. 's lyrics cover areas rarely spoken in the musical arena. Even Dylan was not this daring. As a music critic pointed out, this may of restricted their popularity. One of a kind band, very special, very human and life affirming for me.

Meat Puppets. Sloppy playing, especially in the early days, together with their beautiful abstract lyrics almost becoming paint like at times, makes for a very tempting presentation. The childlike quality of their lyrics has such conviction in points of their songs, that seems impossible to capture for most, and unique in the music world for me.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

I left out early Cure, through Head on the Door. Really loved that stuff, still do. A Forest is probably my favorite of theirs but this b-side really takes me back. Kind has that early INXS vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE36xUS1QZo

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 4

I left out early Cure, through Head on the Door. Really loved that stuff, still do. A Forest is probably my favorite of theirs but this b-side really takes me back. Kind has that early INXS vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE36xUS1QZo

They were so good back then. Just thinking about how much I played them on my tape deck back in high school in the late 80s makes me smile. Yeah, they were an important band to me too. I didn't see them in concert until '91 or '92 but I'm really glad I did because it's been the only time I've seen them live

• Like 2

The Cure are a huge part of my life as well.
  • Like 2

Them and many other post punk bands like Police, Duran Duran, Smiths, Furs, U2 and Depeche are what I listened to in college 17 years ago when I was fed up with that douche rock of Bizkit and their ilk.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

Them and many other post punk bands like Police, Duran Duran, Smiths, Furs, U2 and Depeche are what I listened to in college 17 years ago when I was fed up with that douche rock of Bizkit and their ilk.

Great bands! The Smiths are my fave of all these.

I have an issue with The Cure as they are a major trigger with certain elements of my depression. It's awful...so I have to save them for certain times.

• Like 1

I have an issue with The Cure as they are a major trigger with certain elements of my depression. It's awful...so I have to save them for certain times.

I cannot listen to The Cure's "Plainsong" without being flooded with emotion ..

Same goes for ABBA's "Arrival", which really has no lyrics

I don't know what life would be without music

Lot's but I'll try to narrow it down to just a few.

Yes, Rush, VDGG, Porcupine Tree(early to middle period especially), Camel, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin(mainly because I got into them when I was young and they helped me get into rock), King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Genesis.

I cannot listen to The Cure's "Plainsong" without being flooded with emotion ..

Same goes for ABBA's "Arrival", which really has no lyrics

I don't know what life would be without music

Yeah The Cure soundtracked some of the most damaged years of my life. When I was hideously abused back in my modelling days (please accept I won't go into details), Disintegration was my go too album when things began to truky spiral out of control.

For obvious reasons, now that time has passed that masterpiece is too painful for me to return too.

It pretty much pulls the trigger on my emotions and leaves me incapacitated for months. That's a dangerous record for me. It isn't the music, it's the memories of life around my finding it.

But there is no denying that The Cure saved my life and they are one of the most special bands to me, ever.