Bands That Are Special To You

Genesis are my favorite band of all time (hence the avatar). They were my gateway into the whole "progressive" thing (about which I have mixed feelings, tbh) but it was their way of storytelling and putting music together that got under my skin, especially the 70s era (and Duke). I do enjoy their whole career arc, and it was the 1983 album which was my first, but nothing beats the earlier stuff.

Rush - kinda goes without saying, but I've probably been into them longer than any other band, all the way back to the playground in fifth grade (1981-2) when Moving Pictures was constantly on the boom box). Lots of life changes, and Rush's music has always been there.

But along with Rush, I'm a HUGE fan of:

Crowded House/Neil Finn - I love his songwriting

The Who/Pete Townshend

Sandy Denny (both solo and with Fairport Convention/Fotheringay). Hauntingly beautiful voice. I'm always happily surprised when I meet someone who knows of her.

Weather Report - love the Jaco years, but the earlier records are just as great in many respects

Traffic

Miles Davis

Richie Havens - may he RIP. He could sing the phone book and it'd be pure bliss.

Stevie Wonder's 1970s period (from Music of my Mind through Songs in the Key of Life)

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 3

When i was young me and my buddies started lifting weights in one of our garages. Almost every night we lifted to rush. Those were fun times.

Dream Theater.

It took time but the emotional side of the band that for a while never registered with me has finally shone through. I enjoy them for more than just the epic songwriting and the world class musicianship. They actually hit me in the right place at the right time when I need relief!

These Walls, Build Me Up Break Me Down, Sacrificed Sons, The Best Of Times, Misunderstood, Peruvian Skies, Take Away My Pain...

Oh my word this band is entering into Nightwish territory for me!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Sandy Denny (both solo and with Fairport Convention/Fotheringay). Hauntingly beautiful voice.

She sang on Battle of Evermore, no?

Yup. Some excellent solo albums as well.

Sandy Denny (both solo and with Fairport Convention/Fotheringay). Hauntingly beautiful voice.

Yes. The first 2 especially -- The North Star Grassman and the Ravens (1971) and Sandy (1972)

Plus the first (and for a long time, ONLY) album by Fotheringay (1970).

Most people only know her from "The Battle of Evermore".....

Yes. The first 2 especially -- The North Star Grassman and the Ravens (1971) and Sandy (1972)

Classic Rock had an excellent article about her a couple of years back...

In all honesty I never really cared for that song and wasn't interested in her contribution to the legacy of LZ.

I was taken by the articles adoration for her voice. So...tried it and loved it!

Amazing woman. I am sorry...I own nothing. ..and honestly I am sorry coz I should!

In all honesty I never really cared for that song and wasn't interested in her contribution to the legacy of LZ.

I was taken by the articles adoration for her voice. So...tried it and loved it!

Amazing woman. I am sorry...I own nothing. ..and honestly I am sorry coz I should!

Never too late to start! :)

I love her on "Evermore" but she definitely sounds different on it, compared to her own work and with Fairport.

Never too late to start! :)

I love her on "Evermore" but she definitely sounds different on it, compared to her own work and with Fairport.

Unhalfbricking and Liege & Lief are masterpieces!

• Like 1

The flower Kings.

i've been scarce here lately Cause i've been Clearing out the last of my Grandma's house.

The kings have been on my ipod while cleaning. andd wow this is prog at it's finest. i adore practically ever album in some way. such gorgeous music.

Mick

Genesis was a gateway into prog for me. I never knew what it was all about when I First heard the song Misunderstanding. That lead me into all sorts of areas but rhey were the first. Over 36 years later I still love this band and many of its offshoots, but this music is very special to me, maybe more than say Floyd who I incidentally love more a band.

Rush. Obviously.

I love a ton of artists really, but the 3rd maybe is Peter Hammill. Pre internet I had to actually go to record stores and go browse magazines and books to seek out new music and discover the links which led to various acts and artists. Zappa and Crimson came at a time when I was really focused on discovering new artists, I was picking up tons of good ol' second hand vinyl and immersing myself in music during what was a very confusing and odd time for me, age 19-21. Robert Fripps first solo album was called Expoure and I listened to it on lp. This album had also featured vocals from Daryl Hall and Peter Gabriel but one song called Disengage featured a caterwauling, hysterical vocal from someone I had never heard before. He sounded like Rob Halford on speed and I never heard anyone who could sound like this. Once I discovered (my copy had no notes) who this was I had to hear his music. At around this time (1994) I went over to London to live and attend school for a semester and I knew I was going to be finding some rare things I could bring back home. Little did I know that he would have a new album out then and...a tour. He would be coming to London and I would see him. The rest is history. If you have never heard of him you owe it to yourself to seek him out.

if We're talking Individual artists.

my holy trinity

Waits

Zappa

Beefheart

Mick

Of course 3 of my all time faves.

People who have seen my Zappa collection are like, thats bigger than my whole cd collection!! ;)

I have a rather large one of those as well! hahahaha!

To Jaminbenb and Digital Dad - would love to see pics of your Zappa collection! :ebert:

• Like 1

For me it's got to be Hatchet Pete and The Furious Hairless Chimps of Buckingham Palace. I particularly like their "We Swear Revenge on Princess Anne" and "Making a Monkey of Prince Phillip" albums!

You too?!?!? :o

It took decades, but I always knew that someday, somehow, somewhere, someway, I'd run into someone else that Hatchet Pete and the Chimps took by storm.

• Like 1

For me it's got to be Hatchet Pete and The Furious Hairless Chimps of Buckingham Palace. I particularly like their "We Swear Revenge on Princess Anne" and "Making a Monkey of Prince Phillip" albums!

It took decades, but I always knew that someday, somehow, somewhere, someway, I'd run into someone else that Hatchet Pete and the Chimps took by storm.

And to think Hatchet Pete is a member of TRF!

• Like 1

1. The Beatles - After seeing them on Ed Sullivan, it woke me up to music.

2. The Rolling Stones - After hearing "The Last Time" in 1966, I knew I had to learn how to play guitar.

3. The Who - Because they recorded Live At Leeds, which is the greatest live rock performance ever recorded.

Another reason why The Who is on my list. This blew me away when I saw it in the movie theater soon after Woodstock was released.

https://youtu.be/nHwSzl5P2OA

http://youtu.be/nHwSzl5P2OA

• Like 3

I know. :wub: I have his picture. You know, the one that was taken right when he passed out in the middle of Xanadu? :(

• Like 1

I know. :wub: I have his picture. You know, the one that was taken right when he passed out in the middle of Xanadu? :(

I've not seen that one.

• Like 1