Bands That Are Special To You

What bands are special to you and why?

I have 2:

1) Cheap Trick-They were the first band to get me into Rock music. I would not be here today if it was not for them(and Surrender). They will always be my favorite band no matter what.

2)Rush-I have made so many great friends because of this band. If I had not heard Tom Sawyer, I would not be here and I would not have so many friends.

Edited by Surrender74
  • Like 9

1 ) Rush - Rush taught me more about meaningful music. And how music is structured. I do not play an instrument, but understand how it works and how difficult most of Rush's music is to play. But the lyrics led me to explore myself, my own mind, my own destiny. They helped form who I was and who I became as a man. When Neil retired(1st time) , I knew it was over, but I had their albums to get me through. Reflection is a big part of that too.

2) Iron maiden - These guys taught me how to really rock, in a similar way to Rush. The 2 guitars spoke to me and the storytelling was a hook for me too.

• Like 7

1) Queen

Queen was the first real music I started to listen to and it helped me thru my whole childhood when I had a hard time in my life. I would not have been here today if I did not have Queen, that was ALWAYS in my ears.

2) Rush

Rush helped me discover a lot of other music, before Rush I was ONLY listening to Queen, but when I discovered Rush, I discovered a lot of other bands/artists. And still do.

• Like 5

1 - Rush. I might not understand how the time signatures are structured, but I appreciate their music.

2. Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. Great group, crazy guys, especially Vivian.

• Like 3

Rush and the Black Crowes are the two at the top for me. There are a couple others who I could name, but they really don't come close to matching those two.

As I've said on this forum quite a few times, I had an older brother who introduced me to Rush's music when I was just a wee little one, in about 1979. Today happens to be the 30th anniversary of his death...I simply cannot listen to Rush without thinking about him (but it's a good thing; it's not a sad thing)- especially the run of albums from Fly By Night through Signals, in particular.

There's something about Rush music that I feel in such a visceral way. It isn't just something that exists in my ears- my whole body reacts, in communion with the music. I feel that with about 90% of everything they've ever recorded.

The same thing is true in that respect for the Black Crowes, too. I discovered them on my own, when they first arrived on the scene in a major way, in 1990. I loved what I heard of them at first, and received their debut album for my 17th birthday, in April of '90...I saw them live for the first time in August of '92, when they toured in support of The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion- and from that point on, I never looked back, as it were. I spent more time and energy following them over the next 20 years than any other band, ever. I really feel that I came of age with them...right along with them.

They just officially broke up in January of last year.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 5

Queen

Rush

Muse

I think I've described my love for these bands many times on here before, so I'll consider them explained.

• Like 2

1. The Beatles - After seeing them on Ed Sullivan, it woke me up to music.

2. The Rolling Stones - After hearing "The Last Time" in 1966, I knew I had to learn how to play guitar.

3. The Who - Because they recorded Live At Leeds, which is the greatest live rock performance ever recorded.

• Like 4

1 - Rush. I might not understand how the time signatures are structured, but I appreciate their music.

Tubas in the moonlight, will have new meaning for me now, whenever I listen to it. :sundog:

Bonzo dog are fantastic one of my favourites, truly original and great. They bring a lot of joy, levity and innocent madness,

that helps lessen the drudgery, life at times brings.

May we listen?

• Like 1

Rush - They've been a part of some of my closest and longest friendships...and many new ones here on TRF

Midnight Oil, the Church, Cold Chisel - Three Australian bands that were introduced to me by an Aussie mate that I met while living in Mexico. They connect me to that time and place.

Ghost, Magna Carta Cartel, Subvision - They re-energized my interest in newer music and led to a great meet-up with Gina, Earl and Rob, as well as connecting with many TRFers

• Like 3

Tubas in the moonlight, will have new meaning for me now, whenever I listen to it. :sundog:

Bonzo dog are fantastic one of my favourites, truly original and great. They bring a lot of joy, levity and innocent madness,

May we listen?

Omg! I love this! And I also love Canyons Of Your Mind, especially when he burps at the end. From the Bilzen Festival of 1969.

• Like 1

May we listen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUEAG5eO6c

Omg! I love this! And I also love Canyons Of Your Mind, especially when he burps at the end. From the Bilzen Festival of 1969.

Wow, were you actually there to witness all the crazy antics?They mixed humour and music so well.

Not just now but over the years...

Rush

The Who

Spock's Beard

Joe Bonamassa

Riverside

Genesis

Symphony X

ELP

Elton John

Joe Satriani

Pink Floyd

Yes

Tangerine Dream

• Like 3

Taking away a lot of bands I love, these are the most important to me:

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

Thrice

Khoma

The Juliana Theory

Jimmy Eat World

Within Temptation

The Doors

Bruce Springsteen

HIM

Paradise Lost

Rush

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

In retrospect, the three most important rock bands to me are:

1. Rush - I have never heard musical virtuosity and perfection like Rush. If I had to construct a dream band, it would already be complete with Geddy, Alex and Neil. That's how much they've meant to me in such a short time span of listening to them.

2. Led Zeppelin - These guys really turned me on to the true essence of rock for the first time. Physical Graffiti was the album that really pulled me in, and Zeppelin were the band that eventually led to my discovery of Rush. I'll always be grateful for their contributions.

3. Def Leppard - This band were the first one to really coerce me into liking rock. Before Leppard, I only listened to generic pop stuff, which (thankfully) seems like an eternity ago. Photograph was one of my absolute favorite songs for a while. Eventually, I discovered harder rock, so I haven't listened to Def Leppard much recently, but they're still very important to me regardless.

Edited by Natural Scientist in 2112
  • Like 3

Two of the most important parts of my life are family and music, and it is no coincidence that both are forever intertwined ..

Earth, Wind & Fire and ABBA are very special as I have the fondest memories of hearing Fantasy, September, Waterloo, etc blasting thru the house when we were kids ... The songs are timeless and these two groups still mean the world to me .. Very positive stuff ...

KISS goes without saying, as they gave me the OK to be myself, however different I felt from everything else in the world - which Rush picked right up in a more rational way . .

I won't go into it here, but AKB48, in all their so-called superficial pop glory, literally saved me back in 2010

Music that celebrates the human spirit is what is special to me

• Like 2

Genesis was a gateway into prog for me. I never knew what it was all about when I First heard the song Misunderstanding. That lead me into all sorts of areas but rhey were the first. Over 36 years later I still love this band and many of its offshoots, but this music is very special to me, maybe more than say Floyd who I incidentally love more a band.

Rush. Obviously.

I love a ton of artists really, but the 3rd maybe is Peter Hammill. Pre internet I had to actually go to record stores and go browse magazines and books to seek out new music and discover the links which led to various acts and artists. Zappa and Crimson came at a time when I was really focused on discovering new artists, I was picking up tons of good ol' second hand vinyl and immersing myself in music during what was a very confusing and odd time for me, age 19-21. Robert Fripps first solo album was called Expoure and I listened to it on lp. This album had also featured vocals from Daryl Hall and Peter Gabriel but one song called Disengage featured a caterwauling, hysterical vocal from someone I had never heard before. He sounded like Rob Halford on speed and I never heard anyone who could sound like this. Once I discovered (my copy had no notes) who this was I had to hear his music. At around this time (1994) I went over to London to live and attend school for a semester and I knew I was going to be finding some rare things I could bring back home. Little did I know that he would have a new album out then and...a tour. He would be coming to London and I would see him. The rest is history. If you have never heard of him you owe it to yourself to seek him out.

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 4

Genesis was a gateway into prog for me. I never knew what it was all about when I First heard the song Misunderstanding. That lead me into all sorts of areas but rhey were the first. Over 36 years later I still love this band and many of its offshoots, but this music is very special to me, maybe more than say Floyd who I incidentally love more a band.

Rush. Obviously.

I love a ton of artists really, but the 3rd maybe is Peter Hammill. Pre internet I had to actually go to record stores and go browse magazines and books to seek out new music and discover the links which led to various acts and artists. Zappa and Crimson came at a time when I was really focused on discovering new artists, I was picking up tons of good ol' second hand vinyl and immersing myself in music during what was a very confusing and odd time for me, age 19-21. Robert Fripps first solo album was called Expoure and I listened to it on lp. This album had also featured vocals from Daryl Hall and Peter Gabriel but one song called Disengage featured a caterwauling, hysterical vocal from someone I had never heard before. He sounded like Rob Halford on speed and I never heard anyone who could sound like this. Once I discovered (my copy had no notes) who this was I had to hear his music. At around this time (1994) I went over to London to live and attend school for a semester and I knew I was going to be finding some rare things I could bring back home. Little did I know that he would have a new album out then and...a tour. He would be coming to London and I would see him. The rest is history. If you have never heard of him you owe it to yourself to seek him out.

if We're talking Individual artists.

my holy trinity

Waits

Zappa

Beefheart

Mick

Rush. Obviously.

if We're talking Individual artists.

my holy trinity

Waits

Zappa

Beefheart

Mick

Of course 3 of my all time faves.

People who have seen my Zappa collection are like, thats bigger than my whole cd collection!! ;)

• Like 1

May we listen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUEAG5eO6c

Wow, were you actually there to witness all the crazy antics?They mixed humour and music so well.

I wish I was there in 1969, but I'd not been born then. I found it on YouTube.

Edited by Babycat

Rush

Queen

Styx

Daniel Amos

77s

The Choir

Journey

Stryper

Larry Norman

Each of these groups/artists has played a significant role in easing the transition from boyhood to adulthood as well as aiding me in my personal faith. Watershed moments linked together by unbreakable, intangible chains.

• Like 5

For me it's got to be Hatchet Pete and The Furious Hairless Chimps of Buckingham Palace. I particularly like their "We Swear Revenge on Princess Anne" and "Making a Monkey of Prince Phillip" albums!
  • Like 2