Guilty Pleasure Rush Song

DirkPrattLerxst

I feel no guilt here. I just know these are some of the Rush songs that get a lot of negative comments.

I think I'm Going Bald

Red Lenses

Superconductor

Face Up

I like these too, except Going Bald.

Nearly all of my top thirty favourite Rush songs come from:

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Moving Pictures

And the list includes Tai Shan, High Water, Chain Lightning, Presto and Available Light.

However the title track to Hemispheres does not come close.

One could say my entire taste in Rush is guilty of many sins.

But I don't care.

• Like 1

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Moving Pictures

And the list includes Tai Shan, High Water, Chain Lightning, Presto and Available Light.

But I don't care.

How is Hemispheres a guilty pleasure? :LOL:

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Moving Pictures

But I don't care.

I mentioned it coz I think it lesser than a lot of the songs this forum hate's on.

But it's a song I have a weird love/hate relationship with.

• Like 1

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Moving Pictures

But I don't care.

I mentioned it coz I think it lesser than a lot of the songs this forum hate's on.

No need to feel guilty about HYF! It's a fantastic album!

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Moving Pictures

But I don't care.

HYF is the last Rush album that I don't dislike anything. Yup, I don't dislike Tai Shan or High Water. Tai Shan is tolerable and I really like High Water.

In regards to Presto and Available Light, they're two of my top three Presto tunes (#1 being The Pass). 3 great tunes!

• Like 1

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Moving Pictures

But I don't care.

HYF is the last Rush album that I don't dislike anything. Yup, I don't dislike Tai Shan or High Water. Tai Shan is tolerable and I really like High Water.

In regards to Presto and Available Light, they're two of my top three Presto tunes (#1 being The Pass). 3 great tunes!

Presto is a great little album. Playful, easygoing and fun, with a lot of depth in places.

Hold Your Fire is a masterpiece.

Sweet Miracle...extremely underrated track.

Because I love the very bones of Vapor Trails and think it to be an extraordinarily powerful, and emotionally riveting collection of songs, I refuse to ever consider placing any song from this album in a thread like this.

People are allowed to hate it. I am allowed to think it to be one of the very best albums they have ever released.

• Like 3

Because I love the very bones of Vapor Trails and think it to be an extraordinarily powerful, and emotionally riveting collection of songs, I refuse to ever consider placing any song from this album in a thread like this.

People are allowed to hate it. I am allowed to think it to be one of the very best albums they have ever released.

I feel that way about it, too. It's Rush's most emotional album. It means so much to me, both as individual songs and as a full work.

• Like 4

I feel that way about it, too. It's Rush's most emotional album. It means so much to me, both as individual songs and as a full work.

My wife will be along shortly to agree with all of this... I agree too BTW.

Agree with your wife. Thats a good start in my book.

• Like 1

Haha! Well I liked it before we got married and when I introduced her to Rush that album stuck with her. I knew it was love!

• Like 1

Haha! Well I liked it before we got married and when I introduced her to Rush that album stuck with her. I knew it was love!

My gf at rhe time heard me listening to Rush and cocked her head to the side, turned up her nose and said, Rush?

We broke up soon after. ;)

• Like 1

My gf at rhe time heard me listening to Rush and cocked her head to the side, turned up her nose and said, Rush?

You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

• Like 1

Babymama doesnt like them either but she doesnt begrudge my fandom;)

• Like 1

Babymama doesnt like them either but she doesnt begrudge my fandom;)

Mrs. Blaze isn't a fan but when she hears PeW or MP she says Geddy has a good voice. 21st century Geddy she can take it or leave it. And it's hard for her to believe it's him on the first few albums.

• Like 1

Honestly I am glad I am not the only one.

I couldn't even say it's special because it's one of my favourite Rush albums. It's funny, because this is an album I turn too when Rush isn't really my thing.

It's just a standalone album in the bands catalogue and I adore it. Very therapeutic in a way.

• Like 1

I couldn't even say it's special because it's one of my favourite Rush albums. It's funny, because this is an album I turn too when Rush isn't really my thing.

It's just a standalone album in the bands catalogue and I adore it. Very therapeutic in a way.

I agree. As a full work, it takes you on an emotional journey that illustrates pain, and celebrates the surviving of it. Only Rush could do that with such eloquence while also rocking out so heavy and hard. It's a significant element of why this band holds so much of my heart.

• Like 1

I agree. As a full work, it takes you on an emotional journey that illustrates pain, and celebrates the surviving of it. Only Rush could do that with such eloquence while also rocking out so heavy and hard. It's a significant element of why this band holds so much of my heart.

Vapor Trails is my personal favourite Rush album at the moment.

I'm not saying it is the bands best. I never said that. But it's the one that currently means the most.

Vapor Trails is my personal favourite Rush album at the moment.

I'm not saying it is the bands best. I never said that. But it's the one that currently means the most.

I can't get beyond the bad production. Even on the remix. There's not much they can do when the original tracks were recorded too hot. The live versions of the songs that I've heard I like, but the studio versions both are pretty poorly done.

The Larger Bowl. Really like that. And I don't hate High Water; like it more than most from that era actually. And I like all of VT, and most of S&A. Also think Dog Years is fine; it's just Rush having fun.
  • Like 1

If we're talking about true guilty pleasures, meaning songs that you like but feel somewhat embarrassed by the fact you like it, it would probably be Countdown.

I was pretty disappointed with Signals when it came out. I liked Subdivisions and New World Man and to a lesser extent Analog Kid but the rest of the album did nothing for me on the first listen.

I recall at the time thinking the album was for the most part bland since prior to Signals there wasn't any Rush album that wasn't mostly awesome on the first listen. I remember thinking Countdown was particularly lame.

I also recall reading the liner notes with its thanks to the good people at NASA and having this sense that they had lost their edge.

But years later when just letting the album play itself out while driving I found myself actually liking Countdown. It's certainly not one of their best but I kinda like it for some reason, which does make me feel a bit 'guilty' because I know it's really not a very good song.

Now,if by guilty pleasure we mean simply a song that you like which most Rush fans don't, that's easy: their debut album.

I think it's awesome but many, if not most, Rush fans seem to hate it. But I have no guilt or shame over loving it.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 2