In recent years, has Geddy's bass tone become too distorted for certain songs?

fraroc

It seems like ever since around Counterparts when he decided to retire his Wal MK1 and resurrect his Fender Jazz, his bass tone took a turn to be as heavy and bone shattering as possible. While the new tone is awesome for songs like Headlong Flight, Far Cry and modern Rush as a whole, sometimes I feel like it just doesn't fit with some of the older songs. An example being YYZ, if you want my opinion that song sounded best being played with his Wal, like on the A Show Of Hands home video. While the Wal certainly wasn't as beastly as the Fender Jazz or the Ricky 4001, it wasn't as tinny as the Steinberger Synapse bass. It was a perfect "in the middle" kind of instrument.

So what do you think, has it become too distorted, or do you prefer it distorted?

• Like 1

I prefer it distorted, actually. It gives some wimpier songs more punch. A perfect example is Roll the Bones. The studio version is really thin, but live versions with the Fender really give it a fuller, edgier sound.

I prefer it distorted, actually. It gives some wimpier songs more punch. A perfect example is Roll the Bones. The studio version is really thin, but live versions with the Fender really give it a fuller, edgier sound.

Especially the P Bass he used for R40 :)

His tone is so processed now that all his Fenders sound almost identical including the fretless Jaco Jazz bass he used a while back! His black no1 sounded great on Counterparts but he got carried away with the boxes after TFE! Edited by New Digital Man
  • Like 1

I remember when someone else made a thread about the quality of Geddy's bass tone...it didn't end well...

melodic777

Joined on Jul 05 2006 02:26 AM

Banned · 271 posts

Well I don't hate any of his bass tones at all.

I remember when someone else made a thread about the quality of Geddy's bass tone...it didn't end well...

melodic777

Banned · 271 posts

Well I don't hate any of his bass tones at all.

Don't worry you had to be there to understand the whole deal.

• Like 1

His live tone through the 90's-2000's wasn't the best. It improved a lot over the past few tours. His best live tone has always been with the Ric. Even on SA's there's a noticeable improvement when he brought it out for APTB. And yes I mean his bass. :LOL: Edited by EagleMoon

melodic777

Banned · 271 posts

Exactly what I thought when I saw the thread. Good ole melodick

• Like 1

melodic777

Banned · 271 posts

I couldn't find the actual thread, it may have been expunged.

I looked through this guys posts and oh my god....

I mean yeah, I'm not perfect by any means, but that melodic dude just made no attempt at cordiality whatsoever.

Edited by fraroc

melodic777

Banned · 271 posts

I couldn't find the actual thread, it may have been expunged.

To be comparable to the Melodic bass thread, this thread would need to be a thousand times more condescending and a million times more obnoxious. fraroc is more like a fan, Melodic was more like a..........**n*. :LOL:

• Like 2

.. another shining example of how the forum used to be so much better

not

Well, as I've said quite a few times, it was and it wasn't. It depends on who we're talking about and which threads. No point in comparing with old TRF though since we're not there anymore.

IMO NOTHING sounds better than Kiel Auditorium shows,

St Louis, Missouri, 14 February 1980

THIS is their ultimate sound, all 3 of them

melodic777

Banned · 271 posts

My all time favorite TRF character! Melodic777 was 100% pure mad genius! :LOL:
  • Like 2

melodic777

Banned · 271 posts

You're mistaking "100% pure made genius" with "wanker". tick is a good example of the former, Melodic777 is a good example of the latter.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

It seems like ever since around Counterparts when he decided to retire his Wal MK1 and resurrect his Fender Jazz, his bass tone took a turn to be as heavy and bone shattering as possible. While the new tone is awesome for songs like Headlong Flight, Far Cry and modern Rush as a whole, sometimes I feel like it just doesn't fit with some of the older songs. An example being YYZ, if you want my opinion that song sounded best being played with his Wal, like on the A Show Of Hands home video. While the Wal certainly wasn't as beastly as the Fender Jazz or the Ricky 4001, it wasn't as tinny as the Steinberger Synapse bass. It was a perfect "in the middle" kind of instrument.

So what do you think, has it become too distorted, or do you prefer it distorted?

In response to the thread title, "yes". In response to the thread post, "only on certain songs", and "yes, except on certain songs".

Edited by JARG

I'm not a big fan of the distortion. I actually roll the tone knob on my Geddy bass all the way down.

You like dullness. ;)

melodic777

Banned · 271 posts

You're mistaking "100% pure made genius" with "wanker". tick is a good example of the former, Melodic777 is a good example of the latter.

:LOL: But Tick isn't an expert on bass tone... :huh:

Not too long ago (this past winter?) I went back and moned some of those old bass tone threads. There were others as well, like one where Melodic got after me in regards to crowd noise and live albums. He brought the passion for sure!

I dont like his live tone since he started going direct/sansamp and using the jazz. He has always used some distortion...go listen to the isolated bass tracks from moving pictures for reference. My fav bass tone of his has always been the Wal, but the MP era Ric and Jazz are a close 2nd. The Steinberger L2 (not Synapse) worked for me too even though lots of people didnt like it ( I recently sold my Steinberger L2 and I miss it alot). My main bass is a Ric nowadays (Ive been playing for 30 years) and I want a Wal bad. His live tone is very buzzsaw distorted with a scooped sound (i.e. not much mids) so he gets buried IMO much more. He needs to re-EQ and ditch the DI/sansamp setup and go all tube heads and real cabs.
  • Like 1