Most Powerful Rush Song?

DirkPrattLerxst

if you talking about sheer power, for years it was Mystic Rhythms for me

probably still is to be honest but played it so much i rarely hear it these days.

BU2B fits the bill too in terms of sheer power, but for emotional effect there's nothing like the last minute or so of The Garden. Particularly as it could be the last blaze of glory of this great band.

Apart from moments in La Villa and the end of Soliloquy, those last moments of The Garden where Al is just letting it all go majestically, are the only times I've ever welled up with tears to Rush.

I'm actually welling up now as I type this shit thinking about it

:(

Another one for me is Open Secrets. Especially these lines:

I find no absolution

In my rational point of view

Maybe some things are instinctive

But there's one thing you could do

You could try to understand me

I could try to understand you

You could try to understand me

I could try to understand you...

• Like 2

Well if we're talking about musically, the most powerful as in heavy Rush song has to be Time and Motion or Virtuality. If not then it has to be something off of the Snakes & Arrows album haha

It depends on the definition of power. If power means heavy metal-esque riffing, then songs like Working Man, 2112, Cygnus X-1, Stick It Out, and Carnies come to mind.

If we're talking about Geddy's vocal prowess, I think of pretty much anything pre-1978 where he was shrieking (not a bad thing, of course.)

But when I think of power, I'm talking about emotional power. Like finding oneself, or finding the courage to go on (or not in the case of 2112)…deep stuff like that. And Rush has an abundance of songs like that. Limelight, Losing It, Afterimage, Marathon, Mission, all of Vapor Trails and much of Clockwork Angels (especially The Garden) are very powerful in this sense.

I agree. When I first read the topic, I was thinking about songs that blow me away musically, but it looks like everyone is responding more with lyrics in mind.

Musically: Double Agent or BU2B

Lyrically: Limelight or Losing It or Nobody's Hero

It depends on the definition of power. If power means heavy metal-esque riffing, then songs like Working Man, 2112, Cygnus X-1, Stick It Out, and Carnies come to mind.

If we're talking about Geddy's vocal prowess, I think of pretty much anything pre-1978 where he was shrieking (not a bad thing, of course.)

But when I think of power, I'm talking about emotional power. Like finding oneself, or finding the courage to go on (or not in the case of 2112)…deep stuff like that. And Rush has an abundance of songs like that. Limelight, Losing It, Afterimage, Marathon, Mission, all of Vapor Trails and much of Clockwork Angels (especially The Garden) are very powerful in this sense.

I agree. When I first read the topic, I was thinking about songs that blow me away musically, but it looks like everyone is responding more with lyrics in mind.

I took my cue from the OP. When he said "The Pass", I figured he must be talking about lyrics.

• Like 1

I took my cue from the OP. When he said "The Pass", I figured he must be talking about lyrics.

Yup, he did say "largest emotional impact" then pointed to The Pass. What else could he have meant?

He was still shrieky in 1978, listen to Hemispheres.

La Villa for Alex's guitar solo in the middle. I don't have the most exhaustive knowledge of guitarists, but the only other guitar passages that come close to moving me as much all come from Dave Gilmour. That's some pretty rarefied air. Edited by Rutlefan