Most Powerful Rush Song?

DirkPrattLerxst

Even though the words are sparse, Jacob's Ladder is gut wrenchingly emotional for me - just enough lyrics that put the meaning into motion, and the music that creates the mood is amazing

It leaves it all open for interpretation - it's a perfect song

• Like 6

Edit:

Most emotional impact = The Pass, followed by Bravado (Rush in Rio).

Edited by thirteen

It depends on the definition of power. If power means heavy metal-esque riffing, then songs like Working Man, 2112, Cygnus X-1, Stick It Out, and Carnies come to mind.

If we're talking about Geddy's vocal prowess, I think of pretty much anything pre-1978 where he was shrieking (not a bad thing, of course.)

But when I think of power, I'm talking about emotional power. Like finding oneself, or finding the courage to go on (or not in the case of 2112)…deep stuff like that. And Rush has an abundance of songs like that. Limelight, Losing It, Afterimage, Marathon, Mission, all of Vapor Trails and much of Clockwork Angels (especially The Garden) are very powerful in this sense.

Also, Tai Shan. Tai Shan is powerful. :P

(Actually, I do find Tai Shan to be very poignant and thought-provoking. Such an under-appreciated gem.)

• Like 2

Since we in this country have been tested with Auber violence this week I'll say.....Test For Echo

Edited by g under p
  • Like 1

Signals.

But really, I don't think any of Rush's songs have had as much emotional impact on me as 2112. By the end I'm just mesmerized and blown away, every time. Other really really good ones though:

Closer To The Heart

Losing It

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Tears

Subdivisions

The Garden

Halo Effect

Nobody's Hero

Marathon

Time Stand Still

Analog Kid. So many whirling emotions hit a youngun, so many changes occurring in his life, and wisdom has not yet been fully cultivated. A universal theme for that inchoate time of life.
  • Like 3

The very first power song for me from my first tour of the band. I can recall intently listening to this song at the show and how startled I was after the line"......shouting guards and smoking guns" bang! I ducked never heard anything so loud. I went unto seeing that two more times on my way 50 of them. Red Sector A

http://youtu.be/8ivnvKIu4mg

• Like 1