What Was The First Band To Get you Into Rock/Metal/Etc?

Led Zeppelin songs playing on NYC's WPLJ FM radio.

JR, do you remember the "Get The Led Out" segment on PLJ ?? ... Carol Miller, I think

I do and I think Carol Miller did it for some time as well.

• Like 2

I heard many "contemporary" bands before as a kid...but while most were rock (more precisely alternative) I, A) didn't necessarily "like" most of them B) most of these bands were modern rock/alternative staples of the time (this would be circa 2004) and C) probably aged bad to the point of sounding severely dated and "unlistenable".

Like most, The Beatles was my ticket into the rock continuum cause afterwards came a consistent gravitation towards rock music which then led to a band like The Who who were much more rough around the edge and then came :rush: and Pink Floyd which introduced me to prog but I didn't get into most of the prog legends (i.e. Yes and King Crimson) after those two bands cause shortly afterwards was when I got into metal thanks to Iron Maiden.

Edited by PolarizeMe

All the Kiss answers - even in a prog community - are exactly why Kiss are in the Hall of Fame when folks have questioned how that could be so (because they are a joke, because they....). One of the most influential American bands of the last 40 years.

I mock them today for being garbage often overlooking that so many went through a KISS phase.

I used to mock them but in the past 10 years or so I've found some great songs in their catalog. I "get it" more than before :)

• Like 1

All the Kiss answers - even in a prog community - are exactly why Kiss are in the Hall of Fame when folks have questioned how that could be so (because they are a joke, because they....). One of the most influential American bands of the last 40 years.

I mock them today for being garbage often overlooking that so many went through a KISS phase.

I used to mock them but in the past 10 years or so I've found some great songs in their catalog. I "get it" more than before :)

Not only do they have great songs, they have a very diverse catalogue. Pop, rock, metal, disco, country, etc.

• Like 3

Led Zeppelin songs playing on NYC's WPLJ FM radio.

JR, do you remember the "Get The Led Out" segment on PLJ ?? ... Carol Miller, I think

I do and I think Carol Miller did it for some time as well.

I think she is still doing her GTLO show on W104.3 NYC on Tuesday nights.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

KLOS and KMET in Los Angeles (and KROQ too) were huge in my world in 1981/82.. a great time to discover so much music.

Iron Maiden were my first Metal band and they're still my favorite. Hearing Number of the Beast in mid-1982 changed everything for me.

• Like 1

KLOS and KMET in Los Angeles (and KROQ too) were huge in my world in 1981/82.. a great time to discover so much music.

Iron Maiden were my first Metal band and they're still my favorite. Hearing Number of the Beast in mid-1982 changed everything for me.

I do remember a guy in my high school electronics class bringing a cassette and saying "Dudes, you gotta listen to this!"

• Like 2

I was 7 years old when my brother brought this home. The rest as they say...

http://img.wennermedia.com/480-width/rs-led-zeppelin-ii-82f98a89-2aca-4c66-9b4a-dd4aa7666a25.jpg

• Like 3

Van Halen were the first rock band I ever loved as a kid.....

When it comes to modern metal, I would say that Evanescence got me listening to more modern rock....And so my love for Evanesence (And some guidance from Segue Myles) got me into Lacuna Coil and Lacuna Coil got me into Delain and Delain got me into Within Temptation and then Within Temptation got me into Sirenia, Epica, Haelstorm etc....

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Van Halen were the first rock band I ever loved as a kid.....

When it comes to modern metal, I would say that Evanescence got me listening to more modern rock....And so my love for Evanesence (And some guidance from Segue Myles) got me into Lacuna Coil and Lacuna Coil got me into Delain and Delain got me into Within Temptation and then Within Temptation got me into Sirenia, Epica, Haelstorm etc....

Nightwish is sadly missing from that list.

Also...try Sonata Arctica. Very similar to many of these bands with an excellent male vocalist. Try songs off Reckoning Night.

Quicksilver Messenger Service. 1968, scanning the FM dial and hit this wailing soaring guitar, full of wah wah and feedback. John Cippolina's solo on "The Fool" from their eponymous first album. Magic! Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

I do remember a guy in my high school electronics class bringing a cassette and saying "Dudes, you gotta listen to this!"

I'm proud to have been "that guy" at my school. I had gotten into them in Mexico after picking up their Killers album. Upon return i shared that with my friends and Maiden fandom spread like wildfire. :fury:
  • Like 1

Probably Evanescence. First rock album I bought in 2003.

The band that got me hooked on rock was Funeral For A Friend with Hours in 2005 but the love affair began when one day my best friend gave me a mix CD that featured:

Lacuna Coil

HIM

Nightwish

Within Temptation

That was a month after Funeral For A Friend in 2005 also.

How did I not reply to this before?

Rock: The Rolling Stones.

They've always been my dad's favorite band. He had everything from the on vinyl and I grew up listening to them. I was a fan even before I was born. My parents went to a Stones concert while in my mom was eight months pregnant with me.

Metal: Ozzy Osbourne.

MTV showed the video for Shot In The Dark a lot. While I was still a little too young at the time to fully immerse myself into what would become my favorite genre, Ozzy and that song introduced me to metal. My older brother and his friends were metal fans and they also helped to point the way.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Metallica got me curious about metal, first I heard from them was Master Of Puppets many years back. I enjoyed Sanitarium as I'd heard it on the radio once and though it was cool and progressive, but Battery was too much for me at the time, and the rest of the album was about the same. Then the winter before last I decided to try out ...And Justice For All (may have tried RTL once before that....can't recall). It didn't hook me, but it made me really curious. There was something interesting in that album that I could just barely hear, but it came through in To Live Is To Die and the title track. After that, I decided I'd have to try out some more of this really heavy metal (I'd always loved Sabbath and what I'd heard of Priest, and the odd Iron Maiden track) so I kept my eye out for a deal on anything I'd read about being essential. Pretty soon I had some money and iTunes had what I had read as being one of the big four thrash metal bands' best albums at only 6 bucks. It was Anthrax's Among The Living. I decided to go for it. At first, all I really liked much was Caught In A Mosh and Indians especially, but over the next few days or weeks those tracks got me into the rest of the album. I found myself humming a melody one day not sure what it was from, and upon realizing it was the title track to ATL (which I'd found very difficult to process at first), I knew I was hooked. The next months saw me listening to Metallica and Anthrax, then Sabbath, Priest, Slayer (first one I wasn't thrilled with, still not much), Megadeth, and by summer I'd finally come to love Maiden, covering most of the really big basics I knew I had to hear.

So 'Tallica and Anthrax, but a bit more weight to Anthrax.

• Like 1

Metal - Van Halen

Rock - U2,Pearl Jam,STP

As far as non glam metal but straight metal goes, Superunknown by Soundgarden and the metal songs on MCIS by Smashing Pumpkins like An Ode To No One and XYU. Deftones were another one I got into when I found out that they were influenced by the post punk (Smiths,Cure,Depeche) I listened to at the time. That’s basically why I got White Pony when it came out.

Got into Metallica in 2006.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 3

Kiss was the first band I ever liked and found on my own. After Kiss I had a friend who was more clued than I was who then introduced me to RR-era Ozzy, Iron Maiden, and Van Halen and that's when I began to appreciate other artists, styles, etc. I love him forever for those three things alone. But Kiss was my first. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 2

It was Metallica and unbelievably their Black Album, which in hindsight is nowhere near my favorite of theirs (Master!) I gotta' thank them for it though as it was my gateway to way better things like Rust in Peace and Seasons in the Abyss.
  • Like 1