AllMusic.com's awesome, eloquent review of "Clockwork Angels"

alieninvasion76

I love this album. Definitely a late period masterpiece. But this part of the review did catch my eye:

"Halo Effect" is destined to be among the band's classic power ballads ..."

Yea I don't think it did. :) Amongst a-many diamonds on that album, this is the only track (besides BU2B2) I skip now when I listen.

I love this album. Definitely a late period masterpiece. But this part of the review did catch my eye:

"Halo Effect" is destined to be among the band's classic power ballads ..."

Yea I don't think it did. :) Amongst a-many diamonds on that album, this is the only track (besides BU2B2) I skip now when I listen.

I like the CA tour intro Alex played. It helps me appreciate Halo Effect a little more.

• Like 2

I always thought it was cool that Alex never used alternate tunings - he was able to come up with the coolest parts in standard tuning. Later, though, he started messing around with some drop-D and open chord tunings. Halo Effect is one of those.

To my knowledge, he's never used a capo on a song.

Somehow I missed this the first time around, ie. AllMusic.com's awesome, eloquent review of "Clockwork Angels"...

http://www.allmusic....ls-mw0002332023

I think all the reviews online are found here, if you wish to peruse. Hard to find a negative review

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/75916-tombstone-mountains-review-thread/

• Like 1

Yeah, it's hard to imagine negative reviews, except from someone that is just determined to hate Rush. Even people I know that aren't Rush fans (and I therefore won't call them "friends") have an appreciation for what the band pulled off here. Still one of my top five Rush albums, and I doubt that will change with time.

At the same time, I find the review a bit too gushing. Just as some people will never like anything that Rush puts out, some will like everything, and the review strikes me more along those lines.

A great piece of musicianship and writing? Yes and yes, made all the moreso when put into the context of where the band was in their career when they made it. But a bit more objective approach to reviewing might have given the entire review more credibility.

PS to TM - I keep trying to buy an airline ticket to Goatnut, but Travelocity remains baffled. Don't worry, I'm still on the case.

Unfortunately Allmusic isn't really an objective review IMHO. I'm pretty sure it is generated by the industry specifically to help sell music online. Every online CD pusher when they first started selling goods online used Allmusicguide to describe every CD on the market, and every single review is glowing, including the reviews for all three albums by my band. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I'd love to be wrong, believe me. I think all my band's albums were terrific. But I'm not that gullible.
  • Like 1