High Cholesterol

Lorraine

As far as the drugs

There is this misconception - better yet, a lie - in this country about "health care"

This is a sickness industry - there are band aids to mask symptoms or cover bad lifestyle choices and dreadful diets, but there is no true health ..

It is your body, take it back

I would stop smoking. That's going to do you in sooner than high cholesterol will.

I know. I know I can do it, it's just a scary thought.

That's one thing I'm glad I never got addicted to. But if you really want to quit and you set your mind to it it's doable. But you really have to want to quit.

Stopping smoking is a good idea by itself. Your overall health will improve, your breath, clothes and house will smell better. That it can also help with your high cholesterol is another reason to quit. Plus, you'll save money by not buying cigarettes, instead of spending more money on a prescription drug that may cause side effects. Plus, you can adjust your diet to lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. All kinds of options that don't include taking a pill every day for the rest of your life.

• Like 4

I'm no expert, Lorraine, but I'd take those pills. The side effects can't be worse than a heart attack, can they?

And also, if your doctor recommends you quit smoking, it's worth a try taking her advice. Obviously that is much easier said than done, but the health benefits are completely worth it. :)

• Like 1

I would stop smoking. That's going to do you in sooner than high cholesterol will.

I know. I know I can do it, it's just a scary thought.

you can do it! My mom smoked for over 40 years, tried to quit multiple times and gave up on patches and pills and just quit cold turkey. She hasn't smoked in 5 or 6 years now, and she is off almost all of the daily medication she was on.
  • Like 3

I quit smoking 16 years ago- I was typically about a half-pack a day smoker, and I didn't really enjoy it anymore- so I just cut down from ten cigarettes a day, gradually- down to eight, and then six, and then five, and then three, and then two. And by the time I got to that level, literally two cigarettes a day- it was fairly easy to quit completely.

If you still enjoy the ritual of smoking, then it can be more tricky. But if you don't particularly care about it anymore, it is easier to put it aside (in my experience, anyway).

I don't have any experience with high cholesterol, per se, which is kind of amazing to me, considering all the crap I put into my body during my 20s (and 30s, and sometimes even still do). My total number, 'good' and 'bad' combined, is about 165.

• Like 1

This kept me awake almost all night and I have a massive headache this morning as a result.

I think I will go with my gut feeling - don't take them. There's something inside of me that has an ominous feeling about these drugs. From what I have ascertained from reading and talking to random people around here, men do well on them. Women do not.

I'll pick the prescription up this morning and talk to the pharmacist, but I think it is better to quit smoking instead.

• Like 3

This kept me awake almost all night and I have a massive headache this morning as a result.

I think I will go with my gut feeling - don't take them. There's something inside of me that has an ominous feeling about these drugs. From what I have ascertained from reading and talking to random people around here, men do well on them. Women do not.

I'll pick the prescription up this morning and talk to the pharmacist, but I think it is better to quit smoking instead.

Yes ultimately drugs used long term will damage you with their inevitable side effects, so whenever you can stay off them.

• Like 1

I just don't want to wind up like my poor brother who had so many strokes he wound up in a wheel chair, was a shell of his former self, and died when he was 70. My father died of a massive heart attack when he was 56. High blood pressure, heart trouble, and high cholesterol run in my family, so it is mostly genetic. I may escape the heart trouble (that's from my father's side), but it is apparent that I haven't escaped the other two.

You can understand why I am so torn as to what to do about the statins.

Edited by Lorraine

I just don't want to wind up like my poor brother who had so many strokes he wound up in a wheel chair, was a shell of his former self, and died when he was 70. My father died of a massive heart attack when he was 56. High blood pressure, heart trouble, and high cholesterol run in my family, so it is mostly genetic. I may escape the heart trouble (that's from my father's side), but it is apparent that I haven't escaped the other two.

You can understand why I am so torn as to what to do about the statins.

My mom ended up on oxygen and COPD from smoking all her life. You don't want that to happen, trust me. It's no life and scary as $hit to not be able to breathe.

• Like 1

young people - high on drugs. old people - high on blood sugar and cholesterol. Can't win.

Getting old stinks.

By the way, my pills weren't even ready despite the fact that the prescription was emailed in yesterday at 7:30 AM. I found that strange. I told them I'd come back some other time. Maybe.

It's an omen.
  • Like 2

It has been stated by many above, but stopping smoking is the single best thing you could ever do for your long term health Lorraine. It is not easy, but your body will respond and thank you in so many ways.
  • Like 3

young people - high on drugs. old people - high on blood sugar and cholesterol. Can't win.

Getting old stinks.

By the way, my pills weren't even ready despite the fact that the prescription was emailed in yesterday at 7:30 AM. I found that strange. I told them I'd come back some other time. Maybe.

It's an omen.

I don't know if you are joking or serious, but that's how I took it as well. It's unusual that something called in by a doctor the morning before still isn't ready for pick-up a day later. They offered to fill it but it would take twenty or so minutes. I declined.

• Like 1

It has been stated by many above, but stopping smoking is the single best thing you could ever do for your long term health Lorraine. It is not easy, but your body will respond and thank you in so many ways.

I know.

It's the last vice I had left that I was clinging to.

• Like 1

My brother said that a lot of things were more enjoyable after he quit smoking - food tasted better, that sort of thing. So the enjoyment you might get out of smoking can be replaced by other things.

You might feel rotten for a while, but I think it would be worth it. You have all of our good vibes coming your way if you decide to do it.

• Like 1

My brother said that a lot of things were more enjoyable after he quit smoking - food tasted better, that sort of thing. So the enjoyment you might get out of smoking can be replaced by other things.

You might feel rotten for a while, but I think it would be worth it. You have all of our good vibes coming your way if you decide to do it.

I'm going to do it. I have two packs of cigarettes left. The first day will be the hardest. After that, it will be no problem. If I could stop drinking, I can do this. :cheers:

Maybe my husband, who smokes also, knows someone who smokes menthol that he can give them to. I'll ask him. I hate to put something like this off. "Just do it" is my motto.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

I'm going to do it. I have two packs of cigarettes left. The first day will be the hardest. After that, it will be no problem. If I could stop drinking, I can do this. :cheers:

Maybe my husband, who smokes also, knows someone who smokes menthol that he can give them to. I'll ask him. I hate to put something like this off. "Just do it" is my motto.

Go for it, you can do it!

• Like 3