Should we remove unused TRF accounts?

x1yyz

I was wondering if the moderators would consider removing old accounts? Every day there are a list of birthdays and anniversaries for people who have not logged onto the forum in years; out of the first eight anniversaries listed, only one person has logged on since 2010, and one of the old users has been banned. Can we/should we remove old accounts if the person has not logged on for, say five years or more?

If we remove the old accounts it would shorten the list of birthdays and anniversaries, that's for sure. Then the milestones for active users would be easier to see. Would there be any other benefits? Would it be possible to delete the accounts without deleting posts associated with them?

If accounts are removed then those user names should not be reused, lest a new user grab an old name and be confused with the old user. Would it even be possible to delete the account but leave the names unavailable? Are there any other negative impacts I'm not thinking of?

These questions are not only to the mods, but to the forum as a whole. I'm wondering if others agree with me, or if I'm way off-base in suggesting this.

• Like 8

Seems quite reasonable to me. Though there are some people who come back after god knows how long, there's no reason they can't make a new account. Unless they had a bajillion posts and a reputation here before they left, I see no reason to keep them.
  • Like 3

They are not using any data. I say let them stay. I had a user name for over a year before I started posting.

You never know someones motivation. Or personal business.

Also how do you define with, 'someone is taking a break' as opposed to 'the band retired, no longer interested'???

They are doing no harm, I say leave them be, and we can always welcome them back if they so desire

• Like 1

They are not using any data. I say let them stay. I had a user name for over a year before I started posting.

Also how do you define with, 'someone is taking a break' as opposed to 'the band retired, no longer interested'???

They are doing no harm, I say leave them be, and we can always welcome them back if they so desire

But she's not talking about a year. More like 6+ years.... People with very little chance of ever coming back. Someone celebrated their 10th anniversary today and they've made only one post ever.

• Like 3

I also imagine there are members who are deceased or

Lost in the woods of Quebec searching for Neil's cabin..or whatever...

It's just a message board, life is way more important than purging the TRF.

This is not Facebook............THANK GOD

• Like 3

But she's not talking about a year. More like 6+ years.... People with very little chance of ever coming back. Someone celebrated their 10th anniversary today and they've made only one post ever.

I do not think our admins; who do a fantastic job keeping the forum up and going;Updating servers, etc, have enough time to freely select a group of users with undetermined criteria to delete dormant accounts as their summer project.

Be thankful this site stays in existence.

I say leave these members alone. If 1 member comes back and helps keep Rush's music and ideas alive isn't that worth it?

I understand the logic of removing old users, but we don't sell anything, it's not hurting anyone IMO...

Edited by Disembodied Spirit
  • Like 1

Oh thosr are all my old accounts. Ive been posting here since 1976.

Was'nt your original user name XanaduMan ?? :laughing guy:

• Like 1

I was wondering if the moderators would consider removing old accounts? Every day there are a list of birthdays and anniversaries for people who have not logged onto the forum in years; out of the first eight anniversaries listed, only one person has logged on since 2010, and one of the old users has been banned. Can we/should we remove old accounts if the person has not logged on for, say five years or more?

If we remove the old accounts it would shorten the list of birthdays and anniversaries, that's for sure. Then the milestones for active users would be easier to see. Would there be any other benefits? Would it be possible to delete the accounts without deleting posts associated with them?

If accounts are removed then those user names should not be reused, lest a new user grab an old name and be confused with the old user. Would it even be possible to delete the account but leave the names unavailable? Are there any other negative impacts I'm not thinking of?

These questions are not only to the mods, but to the forum as a whole. I'm wondering if others agree with me, or if I'm way off-base in suggesting this.

I pay attention to this too, x1yyz.

It's a question I've always had. Everyday I see hundreds of members with zero posts since eight years ago. I think it could have a system to assume these members left.

Or it could be: members without posting bewteen 2004-2012 , which posts reach bewteen 0 and 10 get their account deleted. -- It's just an example.

There are members without logging in since 2006 whose contribution was very good in fifty posts. It's something to think about.

And it's not just a post count. I'm talking about the content.

Well... who knows? :huh:

• Like 4

Email the users and ask them if they still want it? Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 2

Every once in a while we'll go through older accounts and if we see a name that has ZERO posts and hasn't been logged in with for years -- someone who joined and quickly lost interest -- we delete it.

And that is THAT. Game, Set, Match

• Like 1

I also imagine there are members who are deceased or

Lost in the woods of Quebec searching for Neil's cabin...

:LOL: Imagine an old username is deleted that belonged to one of the guys in the band. They try to log-in thinking they're banned from TRF.

• Like 1

Why don't we send them a renewal notice - charge, say, maybe $49.99? If we don't hear back from them, delete their accounts. If we do hear back from them, free beer for everyone!

:cheers:

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

73 has it. Lots of good ideas, but Admin's is the BEST.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Checkered%20Flag%20banana.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 2

Boy, I'm glad I came back when I did! LOL :codger:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Ghost%20Banana.gif

• Like 2