Which era of Geddys voice do you like the most?

fraroc

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which era of Geddys voice do you like most

• 1970s
    • 1980s-1990s
    • 2000s-2010s
    • Don't matter, geddy is an amazing singer no matter what.

Simply put, which era of Geddys voice do you like the best? I'd say that I'm very partial to his 1980s-1990s melodic high voice more than the 1970s screaming vocals and the 2000s-2010s scaled-back vocals.
  • Like 1

I love all of Geddy's voices, but I have to say that his 21st century voice is the one I love the most thoroughly and sentimentally, because it's the one I heard live at 23 wonderful unforgettable shows. Edited by GeddysMullet

ATWAS was Geddy at his absolute peak IMO. If he thought it, he could sing it.

The Hemispheres bootlegs show Ged struggling to maintain that high range in every song. That's why I think Permanent Waves have pretty much all songs in a much lower range.

From there I think his voice aged gracefully up through Snakes And Arrows Live. I love this voice too.

Understandably the last few years have been more of a struggle. Singing hard rock for 40 years will do that to a guy. :D

I wish that we could do it all again. :)

Edited by singh99
  • Like 3

The best Geddy was undoubtedly signals/GUP. It was at the point where he wasn't screeching anymore but rather he was just singing high. Edited by fraroc

As impressive as his early range was it still reminds me of a cross between Burke Shelley of Budgie and Donald Duck been strangled.PerW through to TFE for me.Unfortunately too much yodelling for me on later stuff but his voice had been given beating.But it doesn't stop me from loving everything Rush.Almost.

The 1970s, in particular 1976-78. Incredible power and range. 76-78 were better than the earlier albums as his early live singing was very uncontrolled, bordering on screaming. The 80s and onwards were good, but don't have that extra oomph.

Although not implied I took in to account the ability to hit it live. Or is this strictly studio recording Geddy???

1980s through the 1990s.

Geddy always adapted to his vocal limitations appropriately. As he aged he became a better singer. Love the man's talent and I am infinitely happy he shares it with us all.

• Like 2

Up to Presto. After that, you could begin to hear, every now and again in the nineties, the result of so much touring the previous twenty years.

I agree with that but I think during the Vapour Trails tour he sounded almost completely refreshed, though I know some found his voice a bit whiny as well which I can understand.

I voted 80s - 90s, but I think that the poll is a bit general. Geddy's voice seemed to change almost as often as the band did musically. I would say 1974 - 1977 was one style; then 1978 - 1981; then 1982 - 2002, he hit a certain style there that was comfortable, probably his best; then 2004 - 2007, the cracks begin appearing; then 2010 - now, where time and age takes its toll. So many nuances, so many stylistic changes. I guess it shows his growth and maturity. Although the last few years have been rough. But Ged is Ged, and no one else sounds like him.
  • Like 1

I say his styles were-

1974-1976: Raw, screamy, uncontrolled

1976-1978: Similar, but more controlled

1978-1984: Normal range the same, but high range weaker

1984-1996: Normal tenor voice, doesn't hit extreme notes anymore

1996-2002: Similar, but nasality starts to creep in

2002-2007: Much more nasal and whiny

2007-present: Deeper, almost baritonal, yodels sometimes.