Geddy's Best Vocal Moments

winter17

I've seen so many threads where Geddy's worst moments are talked about. How about his best?

This is fairly straightforward. I mean both on an album or live.

In no particular order:

• Losing It
  • Middletown Dreams, the first verse or so
  • The last chorus of Between the Wheels, live
  • Circumstances from the Snakes tour

What are your choices?

• Like 1

Hmmm...there are many great moments but my personal favorites are 2112, particularly Discovery.

Natural Science, all of it but especially the very last stanza...'Wave after wave...' yeah, that one. Not only is it a genius bit of lyrics but Geddy sings it beautifully. Just an excellent song all around.

And Nobody's Hero...I just think it's a great song. Sad, poignant regardless of 'that line'. The acoustic guitar and the way Geddy sings it all come together to make a beautiful song.

There are others, many others...those are just a few off the top of my head.

• Like 1

The entire hemispheres album is in my opinion pretty much every member of Rush at the pinnacle of their chops. ATWAS shows exactly how dangerous those guys were getting around that time, and that was pretty much just straight up live without any airbrushing of the blemishes.
  • Like 1

I really love how over-the-top Geddy's vocals are in this performance of 2112 from 1976. At around 13:28, "My liiiiiiiiieeefeblo-od...woooo lawwd! spills OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHoooooooooo-vaaaa-aaaaah!" is rock'n'roll histrionics at its finest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJPAjiSX7Rk

• Like 4

One, two, three, faaaaaaaaawwwwwwwrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! From 5th Order of Angels. (About the 1:25 mark)

• Like 1

For me, it's always been the last verse of Freewill. Each of us, a cell of awareness...

A friend of mine placed the song in Pro Tools and slowed in down while keeping it in the same key. Geddy's vocals became even more epic!

Best studio performances: (In chronological order)

- Finding My Way

- Here Again

- Anthem

- In The End

- Bastille Day

- The Necromancer (Under The Shadow)

- Tears

- Something For Nothing

- A Farewell to Kings

- Xanadu

- Cygnus X-1

- Hemispheres

- Battle Scar

- Resist

- Headlong Flight

- The Garden

Live:

Virtually any performance between 1976-78, in particular Xanadu from Manchester 1977, Cygnus X-1 from DS, and 2112 from Passaic 1976

- Here Again from Seattle 1974

- Resist from Rush In Rio

- Resist from Rush In Rio

That was an especially poignant rendition of the song as well.

Edit: I haven't watched Rio in a while, and I am watching Resist on Youtube right now. The first thing that struck me is how young they look (ESPECIALLY Alex) even though it's not really that long ago.

Always brings tears to my eyes watching that. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Many of my favourite Geddy vocal moments are his passionate interjections in live performances. HEYs and OH YEAH!s that just seem to burst out of him, howls like this one at around 3:38 of Distant Early Warning from Rush in Rio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQ_tEtMT7c

and in particular the vocal display of wild emotion that starts at around 4:11 of Witch Hunt from Grace Under Pressure Live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNPhNuMDJM

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 2

I really love Geddy's vocal performance of "Heart Full Of Soul" from R30. There's a vulnerable, romantic quality to his voice here that really gives the song poignance.

Great White North ( Geddy starts at 1:12 , then 1:43) :) :eyeroll:

You must listen to the end...2:48.

I remember hearing this years ago. He sounded great.