Rap!

Also forgot I got Run DMC - Raising Hell

Great album.

Dude!

I am sooooo f-ing old! I saw the "Rasing Hell" Tour in 1986 in Oakland! Whodini and LL opened! It was one of greatest shows in the world! I still have my mint "Raising Hell" Tour Book!

Yep! I'm that guy!

It was an amazing time. I was a skinny white boy with a few of my friends. I wasn't scared being at the J Henry Kaiser Building in Oakland at night! The rap scene back then crossed over with hard rock! Those were good times. Young blacks and whites were one that night! No drama! I felt safe there. This is coming from an 18 year old white Rush nerd.

A nerd with skin "TOUGHER THAN LEATHER!"

You said it my friend! I am FEARLESS!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

You need to get Whodini's "Back In Black" record. LOVE IT!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

I'll check out Whodini if you give Kendrick a try. ;)

Ok deal.

I assume you have "Licensed To Ill" by the Beasties."

Do you have the first four RUN DMC albums?

You need the first two LL COOL J records RADIO and BIGGER AND DEFER!

After all my young friend...

"I'm the leader of the show keeping you on the go and you know I can't live without my radio......."

Every rap album I listed in my last few posts is all I have, lol. I went for the new Kendrick today, but maybe next time I'll grab one of those, in the mean time I'll check them out on Spotify. Right now though it's Sin After Sin for me :haz:

HAHAHA! YES! "SIN AFTER SIN!" EPIC!!!!

Get NWA "Straight Outta Compton" and Eazy E's "Eazy Duz it"

Very profane though.

I hate Public Enemy

More like Pubic Enema.

I had to watch those ass clowns talk for an hour during the Rush Hall Of Fame. The version you saw on TV was totally edited down.

Flavor Flav is a buffoon and Chuck D is a hater.

Thank God for METAL!

Lol, okay, I'm saving them all on my spotify so I can check them out over the next week. I'm doing this for you Earl!

Funnily, I've always seen Public Enemy highly recommended, what don't you like about them?

Hahaha! Right on man!

I was in college when those Public Enemy albums came out. I was excited about them. Thought they were going to be bad ass. But man they were just soooo damn annoying to my ears.

They weren't very melodic. Repeating the same terrible high pitched sounds over again. Angry rap. Black Panthers Of Rap. NOT A FAN!

NWA was gangsta too but they were melodic hardcore rappers. LOVE THEM! It's strange! But it is what it is. I have an ok open mind but Public Enemy sucks my ass.

I mean do you think Porcupine Tree ripped off the Public Enemy album title? "Fear Of A Black Planet?" "FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET?" Homage?

Does Steven Wilson even like rap?

Hell too many posts for me. I need a nap.

Rhymed.

Lol, go to sleep Earl, you're posted out.

Interesting, I'll probably check out Public Enemy if only to hear what you're talking about.

Like most I'm down with a lot of old school rap but modern mainstream rap like Lil Wayne and Kanye is mostly garbage. Back then they had something important to say here and there and now it's just associated with being rich, famous and hooking up with a Kartrashian.

Plus I love a lot of old school and especially some one hit wonders for the childhood nostalgia.

Edited by invisible airwave

Like most I'm down with a lot of old school rap but modern mainstream rap like Lil Wayne and Kanye is mostly garbage. Back then they had something important to say here and there and now it's just associated with being rich, famous and hooking up with a Kartrashian.

Plus I love a lot of old school and especially some one hit wonders for the childhood nostalgia.

Lil Wayne is admittedly kind of garbage, but Kanye is actually a really intelligent producer, a clever lyricist, and a skilled rapper. Check out his early stuff, like The College Dropout or Late Registration. "Roses" is a great example of Kanye's more human touch.

Great album.

Dude!

I am sooooo f-ing old! I saw the "Rasing Hell" Tour in 1986 in Oakland! Whodini and LL opened! It was one of greatest shows in the world! I still have my mint "Raising Hell" Tour Book!

Yep! I'm that guy!

It was an amazing time. I was a skinny white boy with a few of my friends. I wasn't scared being at the J Henry Kaiser Building in Oakland at night! The rap scene back then crossed over with hard rock! Those were good times. Young blacks and whites were one that night! No drama! I felt safe there. This is coming from an 18 year old white Rush nerd.

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

Ok deal.

"I'm the leader of the show keeping you on the go and you know I can't live without my radio......."

Every rap album I listed in my last few posts is all I have, lol. I went for the new Kendrick today, but maybe next time I'll grab one of those, in the mean time I'll check them out on Spotify. Right now though it's Sin After Sin for me :haz:

Very profane though.

I hate Public Enemy

More like Pubic Enema.

I had to watch those ass clowns talk for an hour during the Rush Hall Of Fame. The version you saw on TV was totally edited down.

Thank God for METAL!

Lol, okay, I'm saving them all on my spotify so I can check them out over the next week. I'm doing this for you Earl!

Funnily, I've always seen Public Enemy highly recommended, what don't you like about them?

Hahaha! Right on man!

I was in college when those Public Enemy albums came out. I was excited about them. Thought they were going to be bad ass. But man they were just soooo damn annoying to my ears.

They weren't very melodic. Repeating the same terrible high pitched sounds over again. Angry rap. Black Panthers Of Rap. NOT A FAN!

NWA was gangsta too but they were melodic hardcore rappers. LOVE THEM! It's strange! But it is what it is. I have an ok open mind but Public Enemy sucks my ass.

I mean do you think Porcupine Tree ripped off the Public Enemy album title? "Fear Of A Black Planet?" "FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET?" Homage?

Rhymed.

Interesting, I'll probably check out Public Enemy if only to hear what you're talking about.

I disagree with earl.

Dont believe the hype.

It takes a nation of millions to hold us back is the greatest rap recording of all time imo. Groundbreaking and a whole new era in music.

Millions is the best then:

Foabp

Yo! Bum rush the show. ( with vernon reid)

Apocalypse 91

After that they went downhill but the 1st 4 records are great.

• Like 1

Great album.

Dude!

Yep! I'm that guy!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

Ok deal.

Very profane though.

I hate Public Enemy

More like Pubic Enema.

Thank God for METAL!

Hahaha! Right on man!

Rhymed.

I disagree with earl.

Dont believe the hype.

It takes a nation of millions to hold us back is the greatest rap recording of all time imo. Groundbreaking and a whole new era in music.

Millions is the best then:

Foabp

Yo! Bum rush the show. ( with vernon reid)

Apocalypse 91

After that they went downhill but the 1st 4 records are great.

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is an all-time great album. Put the politics and rhetoric aside and you have a production marvel. The sound and energy is amazing and earth shattering. It's an album that moved the bar.

Edited by ReRushed

I love some rap, but it's a genre I'm really picky with.

Some artists I really like:

The Coup

Sage Francis

Organized Konfusion

Aesop Rocl

Illogic

Atmosphere

Eyedeas and Abilities

De La Soul

Digable Planets

Urban Dance Squad

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

Immortal Technique

Probably many more,

I like my rap socially conscious and political.

But of course paired with skill it's better, and the above have skill.

• Like 1

The crass nature of hip hop culture turns me off of most rap artists. There are gems to be found, but sorting through the mountain of profanity, sex, and violence-laden lyrics just isn't worth the effort to me.
  • Like 1

I love some rap, but it's a genre I'm really picky with.

Some artists I really like:

The Coup

Sage Francis

Organized Konfusion

Aesop Rocl

Illogic

Atmosphere

Eyedeas and Abilities

De La Soul

Digable Planets

Urban Dance Squad

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

Immortal Technique

Probably many more,

I like my rap socially conscious and political

:yes:

The crass nature of hip hop culture turns me off of most rap artists. There are gems to be found, but sorting through the mountain of profanity, sex, and violence-laden lyrics just isn't worth the effort to me.

I think the genre has suffered from a marketing campaign that forces the profane into the front because that aspect has proved appealing to the faux rebellious suburban youth and the conformity minded urban tough facade. But there are a lot of artists out there that try to provide some great work. They have a very hard time getting anyone to notice them.

Similar to how a traditional country artist gets shoved aside by an industry that wants another country pop dance number. But the good stuff is out there trying to get heard.

In all honesty I didn't sift through anything to find the artists I like. I actually google things like 'socially conscious rap' or 'intelligent rap'- because that's what appeals to me. So I'm sure I've missed a bunch that didn't make someone else's list so I haven't heard of them yet.

I think the genre has suffered from a marketing campaign that forces the profane into the front because that aspect has proved appealing to the faux rebellious suburban youth and the conformity minded urban tough facade. But there are a lot of artists out there that try to provide some great work. They have a very hard time getting anyone to notice them.

Similar to how a traditional country artist gets shoved aside by an industry that wants another country pop dance number. But the good stuff is out there trying to get heard.

In all honesty I didn't sift through anything to find the artists I like. I actually google things like 'socially conscious rap' or 'intelligent rap'- because that's what appeals to me. So I'm sure I've missed a bunch that didn't make someone else's list so I haven't heard of them yet.

Also don't forget that some rappers who rap about such profanity all the time do so because that's actually their life.

Also don't forget that some rappers who rap about such profanity all the time do so because that's actually their life.

Fair enough- that's certainly true.

But some of them it isn't, but it sells so it is used.

I didn't mean to call them all out as poseurs, for some it really is daily life. Regardless, it isn't the only part of anyone's daily life, and the industry does seem to want to focus only on the aspect they think is easiest to promote.

All I'm saying is that it's hard for other artists to break through.

Just like some country pop artists really just love a bouncing tune, some are just pushing what sells. I don't presume to know who's who, I'm just saying the industry has picked a favorite style among the many available.

• Like 1

Fair enough- that's certainly true.

But some of them it isn't, but it sells so it is used.

I didn't mean to call them all out as poseurs, for some it really is daily life. Regardless, it isn't the only part of anyone's daily life, and the industry does seem to want to focus only on the aspect they think is easiest to promote.

All I'm saying is that it's hard for other artists to break through.

Just like some country pop artists really just love a bouncing tune, some are just pushing what sells. I don't presume to know who's who, I'm just saying the industry has picked a favorite style among the many available.

True.

Last couple of months I got into some (generally acclaimed) hip-hop, mostly old-school stuff.

I consider Kendrick Lamar albums GKMD and To Pimp a Butterfly to be landmarks of the 21st century hip hop. I find West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to be really overrated (Runaway and Power are great tunes though). I prefer his debut - College Dropout.

When it comes to old school hip hop 'classics', this is my ranking of albums that I dig:

1. Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers (greatest rap album by a group)

2. Nas - Illmatic (greatest rap album by a solo artist)

I can get why these two albums are rightfully considered to be the most impactful and greatest in the genre.

3. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

4. OutKast - Aquemini

5. A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

6. The Notorious BIG - Ready to Die

7. GZA - Liquid Swords

8. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

9. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

10. Dr Dre - Chronic

11. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

12. Mobb Deep - The Infamous

13. 2Pac - Me Against the World

14. Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full

15. Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous

That's it for now. I need to hear more stuff.

• Like 2

The only rap artists i've ever been a fan of are Public Enemy and Eminem. I've liked some songs here and there but those are the only two that I ever bought albums from. Still enjoy some Eminem every now and then. Haven't listened to anything from PE after He Got Game. I have no idea what they sound like since then.

Last couple of months I got into some (generally acclaimed) hip-hop, mostly old-school stuff.

I consider Kendrick Lamar albums GKMD and To Pimp a Butterfly to be landmarks of the 21st century hip hop. I find West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to be really overrated (Runaway and Power are great tunes though). I prefer his debut - College Dropout.

When it comes to old school hip hop 'classics', this is my ranking of albums that I dig:

I can get why these two albums are rightfully considered to be the most impactful and greatest in the genre.

4. OutKast - Aquemini

7. GZA - Liquid Swords

10. Dr Dre - Chronic

Off to a great start.

Try pre death row tupac. Tupacalyspe now or strictly for my n****z

The first cypress hill record

Us3 kantaloop is a great tune

Brand new heavies-heavy rhyme experience

Nwa- straight outta compton

De la soul- 3 feet high and rising

Fukkkkk dre and snoop. Eazy e has the last laugh. Check out his last ep. And the song real motherfukkkking g's

4. OutKast - Aquemini

7. GZA - Liquid Swords

10. Dr Dre - Chronic

That's the only rap record I've ever owned with the exception of a couple of compilations, but I really liked it. I think because it wasn't like the typical "bitches and ho's" or "I'm the best rapper ever" braggadocio type songs.

Potholes in my lawn.

• Like 2

4. OutKast - Aquemini

7. GZA - Liquid Swords

10. Dr Dre - Chronic

That's the only rap record I've ever owned with the exception of a couple of compilations, but I really liked it. I think because it wasn't like the typical "bitches and ho's" or "I'm the best rapper ever" braggadocio type songs.

Potholes in my lawn.

Its a great record and it was fun figuring out what was sampled back then.

The brand new heavies disc is by and large positive too plus its one of the first rap with a real band kind of deal.

The bnh are a great acid jazz band btw.

But yeah i loved rap early but i too grew tired of the same old same old and steep increase in commercialized bull schist

I listen to a smattering of rap and hip hop, but it is a pretty recent thing (I used to think it was to some degree "lesser" music when I could listen to really complex instrumentals, but I have since made an effort to find good music in every genre before I pass judgement. Quite immature of me really.) My personal favorite rap album is The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest.
  • Like 1

anarchist reactionary running-dog revisionist

hindu muslim catholic creation/evolutionist

rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

minimal expressionist post-modern neo-symbolist

armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

deconstruction primitive performance photo-realist

be-bop or a one-drop or a hip-hop lite-pop-metallist

gold adult contemporary urban country capitalist

Just another gypsy with a plastic guitar...

• Like 2