Rap!

It's better than the crappy "dance" music that seems to dominate (supposedly) popular music these days.

You like big butts and you cannot lie???

:P

Rap is crap. The only Rap/Rap Rock I like is Beastie Boys and Linkin Park. Other rap is full of f***ing SHIT!

Try telling that to the people's whose lives are enriched by it.

Yeah! I have tried this school year with no luck.

Why would you want too? Your taste isn't superior, it just so happens to be your own.

I hate that music and I do not want to hear it.

Rap is crap. The only Rap/Rap Rock I like is Beastie Boys and Linkin Park. Other rap is full of f***ing SHIT!

Try telling that to the people's whose lives are enriched by it.

Yeah! I have tried this school year with no luck.

Why would you want too? Your taste isn't superior, it just so happens to be your own.

I hate that music and I do not want to hear it.

Totally fine, it's just no one's place to impose their taste in music on other people. Friendly suggestions are usually welcome though.

• Like 2

Like all music genres, if you dig around long enough you should find some rap/hip-hip you legitimately enjoy. Also, like all music genres, if you dig around long enough you should find some artist you find legitimately innovative. Also again, like all music genres, would it really be popular music if it didn't piss some of us off?
  • Like 2

Their first album is really good.

The first three are all classics to me, but I especially liked III. The beats were all dark and spooky and shit! :smoke:

I dropped off after their forth album, aboot the time I topped smoking weed, although I like the track Rockstar.

So over the past year I've gotten a little bit more into rap. I may not have listened to much of it still, but I know much more about it than I used to and I feel like I have a legit opinion when I say Kendrick and Kanye are both awesome.

Some rap that I've bought and loved in the past year:

Kanye - Late Registration (do albums get better for college life than this?)

Kendrick - To Pimp A Butterfly (better than I remembered, so a solid masterpiece, on par with The Wall for instance)

Kendrick - ...his new one, lol

Kendrick's latest is awesome. It's catchy, concise, deceptively simple, subtly complex, works as an album or a compilation. It's so cool to love something that's so popular as well. Not something I'm used to, lol.

Also got some mixtapes off of Datpiff

Joey Bada - 1999

J Cole - Friday Night Lights (dramatic)

Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book (also masterful and uplifting, emotionally and spiritually)

Kendrick - Overly Dedicated

The Weeknd - House Of Balloons (okay, pop r/b, not rap, but excellent music that also came from datpiff)

Oh, and I forgot, I also accidentally bought a clean (read half empty, lol) version of Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP. It's not about what he says, it's about how he says it, about how he relates the logic of his deplorable life choices in such a human way. The man has a way with words.

And I also got Kanye's 808's and Heartbreak, but that's basically a pop album, albeit good.

Modern Rap is cRAP.

Give me

Sugar Hill Gang

Grand Master

RUN DMC

LL COOL J

WHODINI

BEASTIE BOYS!

DIGITAL UNDERGROUND

TOO SHORT

NWA

EAZY MUTHAFUKKIN E

try Kendrick Lamar. Maybe you'll find something you like.

Also forgot I got Run DMC - Raising Hell

Great album.

Dude!

I am sooooo f-ing old! I saw the "Rasing Hell" Tour in 1986 in Oakland! Whodini and LL opened! It was one of greatest shows in the world! I still have my mint "Raising Hell" Tour Book!

Yep! I'm that guy!

It was an amazing time. I was a skinny white boy with a few of my friends. I wasn't scared being at the J Henry Kaiser Building in Oakland at night! The rap scene back then crossed over with hard rock! Those were good times. Young blacks and whites were one that night! No drama! I felt safe there. This is coming from an 18 year old white Rush nerd.

A nerd with skin "TOUGHER THAN LEATHER!"

You said it my friend! I am FEARLESS!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

You need to get Whodini's "Back In Black" record. LOVE IT!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

• Like 1

Modern Rap is cRAP.

Give me

Sugar Hill Gang

Grand Master

RUN DMC

LL COOL J

WHODINI

BEASTIE BOYS!

DIGITAL UNDERGROUND

TOO SHORT

NWA

EAZY MUTHAFUKKIN E

Never heard of him!

He's the biggest name in modern rap. In 20 years he'll still be one of the biggest names in rap ever. His last three albums have achieved vast commercial and critical success, his latest sending every single song into the billboard hot 100 and still winning over critics and long time fans. He's got pure talent, tons of skill, a musical mind akin to Roger Waters in the way of album and song craft, and sick/deep lyrics. To Pimp A Butterfly, his 2015 album, is the only release ever to garner a 10/10 from well respected every-man youtube music reviewer Anthony Fantano. He's been called the greatest rapper in the world.

not real quote from Kendrick:

"I don't drink often, but when I do, I drink "XXX (feat. U2)." Stay thirsty my friends."

• Like 1

Great album.

Dude!

I am sooooo f-ing old! I saw the "Rasing Hell" Tour in 1986 in Oakland! Whodini and LL opened! It was one of greatest shows in the world! I still have my mint "Raising Hell" Tour Book!

Yep! I'm that guy!

It was an amazing time. I was a skinny white boy with a few of my friends. I wasn't scared being at the J Henry Kaiser Building in Oakland at night! The rap scene back then crossed over with hard rock! Those were good times. Young blacks and whites were one that night! No drama! I felt safe there. This is coming from an 18 year old white Rush nerd.

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

I'll check out Whodini if you give Kendrick a try. ;)

Great album.

Dude!

Yep! I'm that guy!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

Ok deal.

I assume you have "Licensed To Ill" by the Beasties."

Do you have the first four RUN DMC albums?

You need the first two LL COOL J records RADIO and BIGGER AND DEFER!

After all my young friend...

"I'm the leader of the show keeping you on the go and you know I can't live without my radio......."

• Like 1

Great album.

Dude!

Yep! I'm that guy!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

Ok deal.

"I'm the leader of the show keeping you on the go and you know I can't live without my radio......."

Every rap album I listed in my last few posts is all I have, lol. I went for the new Kendrick today, but maybe next time I'll grab one of those, in the mean time I'll check them out on Spotify. Right now though it's Sin After Sin for me :haz:

• Like 1

Great album.

Dude!

Yep! I'm that guy!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

Ok deal.

Every rap album I listed in my last few posts is all I have, lol. I went for the new Kendrick today, but maybe next time I'll grab one of those, in the mean time I'll check them out on Spotify. Right now though it's Sin After Sin for me :haz:

HAHAHA! YES! "SIN AFTER SIN!" EPIC!!!!

Get NWA "Straight Outta Compton" and Eazy E's "Eazy Duz it"

Very profane though.

I hate Public Enemy

More like Pubic Enema.

I had to watch those ass clowns talk for an hour during the Rush Hall Of Fame. The version you saw on TV was totally edited down.

Flavor Flav is a buffoon and Chuck D is a hater.

Thank God for METAL!

• Like 1

Great album.

Dude!

Yep! I'm that guy!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

Ok deal.

Very profane though.

I hate Public Enemy

More like Pubic Enema.

I had to watch those ass clowns talk for an hour during the Rush Hall Of Fame. The version you saw on TV was totally edited down.

Thank God for METAL!

Lol, okay, I'm saving them all on my spotify so I can check them out over the next week. I'm doing this for you Earl!

Funnily, I've always seen Public Enemy highly recommended, what don't you like about them?

Modern Rap is cRAP.

Give me

Sugar Hill Gang

Grand Master

RUN DMC

LL COOL J

WHODINI

BEASTIE BOYS!

DIGITAL UNDERGROUND

TOO SHORT

NWA

EAZY MUTHAFUKKIN E

Never heard of him!

He's the biggest name in modern rap. In 20 years he'll still be one of the biggest names in rap ever. His last three albums have achieved vast commercial and critical success, his latest sending every single song into the billboard hot 100 and still winning over critics and long time fans. He's got pure talent, tons of skill, a musical mind akin to Roger Waters in the way of album and song craft, and sick/deep lyrics. To Pimp A Butterfly, his 2015 album, is the only release ever to garner a 10/10 from well respected every-man youtube music reviewer Anthony Fantano. He's been called the greatest rapper in the world.

not real quote from Kendrick:

"I don't drink often, but when I do, I drink "XXX (feat. U2)." Stay thirsty my friends."

Interesting.

I will check him out.

• Like 1

Great album.

Dude!

Yep! I'm that guy!

I've lived a lot man.

Seen a lot.

Mostly good shit.

Cheers!

Signed,

"I'm A HO"

Ok deal.

Very profane though.

I hate Public Enemy

More like Pubic Enema.

Thank God for METAL!

Lol, okay, I'm saving them all on my spotify so I can check them out over the next week. I'm doing this for you Earl!

Funnily, I've always seen Public Enemy highly recommended, what don't you like about them?

Hahaha! Right on man!

I was in college when those Public Enemy albums came out. I was excited about them. Thought they were going to be bad ass. But man they were just soooo damn annoying to my ears.

They weren't very melodic. Repeating the same terrible high pitched sounds over again. Angry rap. Black Panthers Of Rap. NOT A FAN!

NWA was gangsta too but they were melodic hardcore rappers. LOVE THEM! It's strange! But it is what it is. I have an ok open mind but Public Enemy sucks my ass.

I mean do you think Porcupine Tree ripped off the Public Enemy album title? "Fear Of A Black Planet?" "FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET?" Homage?

Does Steven Wilson even like rap?

Hell too many posts for me. I need a nap.

Rhymed.

• Like 1