Your best all-natural remedies for staying alert through the day

toymaker

So, I've already started a thread about cures for insomnia. Lately I've been having less trouble falling asleep and more trouble getting out of bed in the morning and trying to stay awake during the day.

I don't drink coffee or tea. I do drink caffeinated soft drinks, but the caffeine does nothing for me. I'd rather not start drinking Red Bulls or taking any sort of chemicals to keep me awake.

Do you have any suggestions?

So, I've already started a thread about cures for insomnia. Lately I've been having less trouble falling asleep and more trouble getting out of bed in the morning and trying to stay awake during the day.

I don't drink coffee or tea. I do drink caffeinated soft drinks, but the caffeine does nothing for me. I'd rather not start drinking Red Bulls or taking any sort of chemicals to keep me awake.

Outside of coffee and tea, no.

Have you looked in the natural health section of your supermarket, or gone into a health food store, to see what they have?

Didn't Zumbi come up with the solution in the last thread?

Wasn't that to help fall asleep?

Yes but it could also.........give you a spring in your step............I'll move along now before I derail the thread!

• Like 1

Pull some hair out of your arm every time you start to nod...

Smash yourself in the face - just don't knock yourself out!

Red Bull!!!! Drink a can of Mountain Dew...

• Like 1

Have you looked in the natural health section of your supermarket, or gone into a health food store, to see what they have?

I just haven't had the energy . . . ha ha. That's not entirely true, because I've cycled to work a few times and have gone for brisk walks, following the theory that exercise can help with alertness (makes me want to nap . . . ). I guess I want to hear what works for other folks first - first-hand accounts rather than someone behind a counter selling me some 30-buck bottle of some extract of something-or-other that won't do anything for me. I admit to being a little skeptical. Not saying the homeopathic approach is a sub-branch of pop science, but I'm sure there are loads of shysters out there.

Pull some hair out of your arm every time you start to nod...

Smash yourself in the face - just don't knock yourself out!

Red Bull!!!! Drink a can of Mountain Dew...

Haven't tried the hair pulling thing, but I have tried slapping myself (saves other people the trouble...). Can't do the Dew . . . bleagghh.

Edited by toymaker

I just haven't had the energy . . . ha ha. That's not entirely true, because I've cycled to work a few times and have gone for brisk walks, following the theory that exercise can help with alertness (makes me want to nap . . . ). I guess I want to hear what works for other folks first - first-hand accounts rather than someone behind a counter selling me some 30-buck bottle of some extract of something-or-other that won't do anything for me. I admit to being a little skeptical. Not saying the homeopathic approach is a sub-branch of pop science, but I'm sure there are loads of shysters out there.

I don't go in for any of that stuff either, but you asked about non-chemical helps to stay awake, so that's why I mentioned it.

When I wake up tired, which is 99.9% of the time, I just schlep along through the day. Not really much you can do.

• Like 1

sounds like possible sleep apnea symptoms...do you snore alot?

sounds like possible sleep apnea symptoms...do you snore alot?

Don't think so - not regularly, anyway. Just different circumstances in my life, I think.

Anybody here eat eggs every morning for breakfast? I know someone who swears by that. Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Do you exercise?

Insomnia and short attention span, yeah - I'm with you on that!

Make a "to do list" with a timetable, just be sure to vary your chores to break up your day to relieve the monotony and make it more efficient. As for the insomnia.. try a light snack before going to bed. I find a cheese/Tomato Toastie does the trick for me though I'm sure just plain toast works just as good.

• Like 1

Do you exercise?

In the last few days I've done cycling, walking, chin-ups, sit-ups, and a bit of frisbee-tossing.

Lately the getting to sleep has been no problem, because I go to bed exhausted. Now it's just a drag in the morning. Edited by toymaker

Diet plays a huge part in energy regulation. Your brain runs on glucose. For more daytime energy I suggest frequent snacks of fruit, water, etc. Make sure your diet is nutritious and you're getting loads of vitamins; stimulants might help a person get through their day and have that extra edge of energy but ultimately they don't replace the fact that the body needs energy, and that this energy isn't as easily, and readily, acquired from lipids and proteins as it is from complex sugars. I suggest replacing some of the carbonated drinks--which mess with blood insulin levels and cause a "crash" a few hours after drinking--with better sources of energy.

As a super side kind-of-advertising note, I have only been eating plants for 6 months now and honestly my energy always stays constant throughout the day unless I'm legitimately sleep deprived. But I'm also a teenager, so your mileage may vary. I suggest cutting dairy out at least as I found that bogged me down a lot.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm trying to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. I just had a banana and some grapes. I try to drink more water, as well.

However, it's hard to cut back on my main food vice - a can of cola now and then.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm trying to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. I just had a banana and some grapes. I try to drink more water, as well.

However, it's hard to cut back on my main food vice - a can of cola now and then.

My guilty pleasures are beer and chocolate, often together, so in comparison cola really doesn't seem so bad. :LOL:

• Like 1

My guilty pleasures are beer and chocolate, often together, so in comparison cola really doesn't seem so bad. :LOL:

I could have mentioned beer and chocolate; it's just that they are not daily things like the sodypop.

I had a fantastic pint of something at a pub a while back - it was a dark beer with hints of chocolate. When I went back a week later, they didn't have it any more and the woman behind the taps said she'd never heard of it.

Do you exercise?

In the last few days I've done cycling, walking, chin-ups, sit-ups, and a bit of frisbee-tossing.

I meant regularly. Sometimes this can alleviate tiredness.

• Like 1

Do you exercise?

I meant regularly. Sometimes this can alleviate tiredness.

Yeah, I try to stay active. Sometimes I'm not that motivated, though.