Wot? A Flower? TRF's Garunteed Eternal GENESIS THREAD!

Last night I was listening to Seconds Out (Its still one of the best live albums I've heard!),and in particular Supper's Ready!

It's a tremendous song,and PC sings it beautifully! However I still believe the definitive version can be heard on Foxtrot featuring PG,and there's also a great version too on the Live box set recorded in 73! Whatever version you like its still a great song whoever sings it!

Also Los Endos,the final track on Seconds Out,is just so good! LOVE IT!!!

I love Seconds out.

i Just wish they would have swapped out Robbery Assault and Battery for a better Trick song. i was never fond of that track.

Mick

• Like 1

I could talk about Genesis for days... see my avatar? :) Anyone have a line on a reasonably priced copy of that 45?

Got into them through their 1980-1981-1982 singles and seeing Three Sides Live on MTV. First album bought was the 1983 album. Saw them live in 1986, went and bought the whole catalog right after that.

The Lamb is my favorite album of all time.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 4

Last night I was listening to Seconds Out (Its still one of the best live albums I've heard!),and in particular Supper's Ready!

It's a tremendous song,and PC sings it beautifully! However I still believe the definitive version can be heard on Foxtrot featuring PG,and there's also a great version too on the Live box set recorded in 73! Whatever version you like its still a great song whoever sings it!

Also Los Endos,the final track on Seconds Out,is just so good! LOVE IT!!!

I love Seconds out.

i Just wish they would have swapped out Robbery Assault and Battery for a better Trick song. i was never fond of that track.

Mick

Considering most of the album was recordedon rhe Wind tour they should have had more tunes from that instead ofnjust Afterglow

11th Earl would have been better.

• Like 3

I could talk about Genesis for days... see my avatar? :) Anyone have a line on a reasonably priced copy of that 45?

Got into them through their 1980-1981-1982 singles and seeing Three Sides Live on MTV. First album bought was the 1983 album. Saw them live in 1986, went and bought the whole catalog right after that.

Yep. Its a good 'un.

• Like 2

I'm still just happy this thread is more popular than the other Genesis thread (even though I made this one after that one was already around). :)

I was right there with you until Lamb.

• Like 2

LOL! Not your fave of all time but do you like it?

BTW... anyone who loves Seconds Out and that era of the band needs to seek out the Zurich show from 1977. Fantastic sound and great performance. A great companion volume to Seconds Out.

• Like 1

Got me thinking that now Phil Collins has come out of retirement,and has announced a small European tour next summer,what are the chances that the three-man Genesis version of the band could do some shows in the not to distant future? I suppose at lot really depends on how PC feels after his dates,and if he is able to tour with Genesis.He recently said that after writing his autobiography (Excellent read by the way!) it made him realise how much fun he had with Genesis and that touring again would be something he'd love to do in the future,but a new drummer would be required to replace him! A tour in 2018/19 would be really something to look forward to!
  • Like 1

May I make a bold statement ?

Selling England By The Pound is the greatest prog album of all time.

Phil Collins = Drum God

https://youtu.be/gcV_COCcT08

It's definitely in my top 10 of greatest progressive rock records!

I think Steve Hackett gives his best G performance on this album.

• Like 1

Phil ruined Genesis!

When I think Genesis what I think besides Wrath of Khan is craptactular pop music and that song Peter Gabrielle laughs in.

If I were to seek out Genesis goodness, to truly learn and understand what album is their crunchy best?

Phil ruined Genesis!

When I think Genesis what I think besides Wrath of Khan is craptactular pop music and that song Peter Gabrielle laughs in.

If I were to seek out Genesis goodness, to truly learn and understand what album is their crunchy best?

Wind And Wuthering is the album that marked the point where I started actively wanting to listen to Genesis and became able to get into them. Perhaps because it was a great balance of prog excess with pop melodicism and had a beautiful soundscape. Of course, in the same vein and much more accessible is Duke, who's worst song is probably Misunderstanding and then most everything else is awesome. But then you seem not to like the later stuff, which means you'll have to go back to the less accessible stuff to find out what you're missing. I hear A Trick Of The Tale is excellent and possibly their best album, so that may be a good place to start, but my fav is Foxtrot, and it's immediate and bewildering enough to hold your attention through it's many turns so that might make it a tad more accessible.

• Like 1

If you search for genesis seconds out on youtube you will find a awesome 40 minute video from that era that is not seconds out.

The version of entangled is amazingly beautiful.

Genesis. In Concert. With Bill Bruford on drums. Totally beautiful. Its on the 2 cd version from the boxed set of Trick of the Tail

Yes, wonderful show. It's too bad the album itself sounds like absolute crap on that remaster/remix. Compressed to death. :(

• Like 1

BTW... anyone who loves Seconds Out and that era of the band needs to seek out the Zurich show from 1977. Fantastic sound and great performance. A great companion volume to Seconds Out.

It's OK I guess. I'd rank just about any Gabriel solo album higher than any Gabriel-Genesis albums though. Genesis doesn't really start for me until he left.

Before that it's never really connected with me in any fundamental way.

It's OK I guess. I'd rank just about any Gabriel solo album higher than any Gabriel-Genesis albums though. Genesis doesn't really start for me until he left.

Before that it's never really connected with me in any fundamental way.

Genesis ended for me when Gabriel left the band. I saw the Wind And Wuthering tour at MSG but I found it just ok. No Peter, No Genesis.

A Trick Of The Tail is significantly better than Selling England By The Pound.

Bite me.

Bite me.

LOL!

I love them both about the same, actually.

For me, Epping Forest isn't good enough to justify taking up that much of the record, I Know What I Like gets old kind of fast, and After The Ordeal doesn't really make up for Battle.

The rest is excellent of course, but it's a really tough listen for me cuz I only love about half the tracks. Perfect start though.

Now ATOTT, this thing is all killer to my ears. 50 something minutes of Genesis perfecting the sound and style they went for on SEBTP, minus Gabriel.

• Like 2

Bite me.

LOL!

For me, Epping Forest isn't good enough to justify taking up that much of the record, I Know What I Like gets old kind of fast, and After The Ordeal doesn't really make up for Battle.

The rest is excellent of course, but it's a really tough listen for me cuz I only love about half the tracks. Perfect start though.

Now ATOTT, this thing is all killer to my ears. 50 something minutes of Genesis perfecting the sound and style they went for on SEBTP, minus Gabriel.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd probably rate Trick higher than Selling, if forced to choose. It took me many years to get into Epping Forest, and to me After The Ordeal is somewhat weak.

The only song on Trick I've never totally warmed to is Robbery Assault and Battery. I LIKE IT, but I don't love it.

To me neither of them are as strong as The Lamb or Duke. How's that for a strange duo? :D

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

Bite me.

LOL!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd probably rate Trick higher than Selling, if forced to choose. It took me many years to get into Epping Forest, and to me After The Ordeal is somewhat weak.

The only song on Trick I've never totally warmed to is Robbery Assault and Battery. I LIKE IT, but I don't love it.

To me neither of them are as strong as The Lamb or Duke. How's that for a strange duo? :D

I always struggle with Duke. On one hand, it's pretty consistent throughout in terms of both sound and song quality, and that song quality is pretty darn high most of the time, but on the other hand, it has a lot of the same kind of songs, especially on side two, which all kind of run together for me and detract from the album's ebb and flow.

I love it, but it sometimes bores me.

:huh:

• Like 1

Bite me.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/WRONGWRONG_zpsy0fpgfot.gif

:poke: