Wot? A Flower? TRF's Garunteed Eternal GENESIS THREAD!

I witnessed Genesis live on their 1982 UK Tour for the album Abacab.

It was without doubt one of the greatest three hours of my life!

The band were just magical throughout the evening,and played superbly!

However the highlight had to be when PC announced that it was ten years since they'd recorded Supper's Ready and so therefore "we would like to play it for you tonight",i knew I was going witness something special! Just awesome!

For me I can listen to Gabriel-era Genesis and Collins-era Genesis and enjoy them both equally!

Also must give a mention to Calling All Stations,the album Banks and Rutherford recorded with Ray Wiison.It's an ok album really,but does miss the writing contributions of PC!

• Like 4

I like Phil Genesis more than Peter Genesis.

Me, too.

What album is best to try with Phil up front? Like...I've heard most but none stood out to me to play twice. I would take just one and play it more than once.

If you want progressive Phil, either Wind & Wuthering or Trick of the Tail. I lean more towards the former, however. If you want something with a bit more pop but want the progressive feel, then Duke is your best bet. For straight out pop, anything between 1983 and 1992 is going to be up your alley. Abacab is kind of in the middle of progressive and pop, which is why I like it more than any other Phil-led Genesis LP.

I hardly ever sit down to listen to Genesis anymore. I've been kicking Invisible Touch around the last week at work, and it's been my go-to album for easy listening for a long time. Genesis was just one of those bands that had brilliant moments, but they were either brought about in a dull way or extended to the point where it exhausts the listener.

• Like 1

I witnessed Genesis live on their 1982 UK Tour for the album Abacab.

It was without doubt one of the greatest three hours of my life!

The band were just magical throughout the evening,and played superbly!

However the highlight had to be when PC announced that it was ten years since they'd recorded Supper's Ready and so therefore "we would like to play it for you tonight",i knew I was going witness something special! Just awesome!

For me I can listen to Gabriel-era Genesis and Collins-era Genesis and enjoy them both equally!

Also must give a mention to Calling All Stations,the album Banks and Rutherford recorded with Ray Wiison.It's an ok album really,but does miss the writing contributions of PC!

Awesome that you got to see that show. Technically that was the 3SL tour when they did Suppers.

Agree with you on CAS. I listen to it way more than I listen to say We Cant Dance. Its merely really good unlike some of the others which are just merely great.

• Like 1

Listened to a lot of Genesis today. Finding that SEBTP is becoming very gradually more enjoyable, and I do already quite enjoy it. Still not finding it as exhuberantly brilliant as Foxtrot or as mesmerizingly beautiful as WAW, but I can see consciously how the peices on that album fit together to create a musical journey. It's just not so obvious.
  • Like 2

Just got Genesis s/t. Goodness, just from the hits this is some of the coolest pop music I've ever heard. Brilliant. Can this band do wrong pre-WCD?
  • Like 3

Phil ruined Genesis!

Well I'm going to predict by your name there's no way around this opinion for you, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I encourage you to try Phil's Genesis with open ears sometime. :)

Just got Genesis s/t. Goodness, just from the hits this is some of the coolest pop music I've ever heard. Brilliant. Can this band do wrong pre-WCD?

Mama has to be one of their best opening tracks on any of their albums! Awesome track!

Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea is a quality epic!

The final five songs are ok but it's a little too safe and fairly standard music,though I have to admit I enjoy Silver Rainbow a lot!

• Like 1

Mama has to be one of their best opening tracks on any of their albums! Awesome track!

Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea is a quality epic!

The final five songs are ok but it's a little too safe and fairly standard music,though I have to admit I enjoy Silver Rainbow a lot!

Music should be listened to for what it is. Not for what one thinks it should be.

• Like 2

There's some sketchy stuff on Invisible Touch and the sounds are a bit dated but the B-sides are pretty cool.

• Like 1

Finally listened through all of the s/t. Awesome album. Love Mama, That's All, Home&2ndHome, Illegal Alien, and Just A Job To Do especially, the other three also being really great. I have no clue how I'm going to rank the Genesis records anymore, they're all so great.
  • Like 1

For me, Steve Hackett was a greater loss than PG.

Interesting point.

I honestly believe if SH had remained in Genesis they wouldn't have taken the " pop prog" route during the eighties!

Hackett had very little choice to quit after WAW though as he was far from happy that the band were using very little of his material for the album.

I think the writing was on the wall after he released his excellent Voyage of the Acolyte album.

Still quitting G was our gain as he's released some great records over the years!

• Like 1

For me, Steve Hackett was a greater loss than PG.

Interesting point.

I honestly believe if SH had remained in Genesis they wouldn't have taken the " pop prog" route during the eighties!

Hackett had very little choice to quit after WAW though as he was far from happy that the band were using very little of his material for the album.

I think the writing was on the wall after he released his excellent Voyage of the Acolyte album.

Still quitting G was our gain as he's released some great records over the years!

I pretty much agree with all those points, however Genesis definitely lost something on his departure. SH's solo albums, although in some cases patchy and , perhaps, lacking the investment necessary to make them as good as they could be, all have something of beauty and/or interest.
  • Like 1