Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

19 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

This is what I mean. I mean yes, we could talk about greatness in terms of technical ability, but I don't see everyone in agreement that Mariah Carey is the best. Being stupendously talented doesn't mean everyone will like what you do.

Many of my favourite singers have a genuine musicality, a feel, that I just can't get enough of. Geddy Lee, Cristina Scabbia, Stevie Nicks, Taylor Swift, all are singers with weaknesses (especially live) that just WORK for me when they explore what they are capable of. I find I prefer feeling to technicality. Not always though. I love Mariah for example. But can't stand Celine.

Ozzy I think is terrific because you can hear his enthusiasm for music. It's natural, something many technical singers can't learn.

It's also why I secretly love Annette the most from the three Nightwish girls in terms of studio performance. She sounds like she is genuinely having a good time, and more spontaneous, whilst I find Tarja and Floor sound very rehearsed and overly professional.

I will be interested to see how I find Dio. I've watched live videos of him in the past and found him very charming.

Annette also put in the work to develop her voice better. She grew a ton vocally on Imaginaerum. She definitely sounded happy to be there and really wanted to grow as a vocalist. Tarja and Floor sound very rehearsed and overly professional because I think that's just the nature of their vocal styles. I think singing like they do may require more practice and precision. Live nobody beats Floor though. I think she definitely comes more alive vocally than she does in the studio.

Dio's voice is probably the perfect mix of power and melody.

18 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Annette also put in the work to develop her voice better. She grew a ton vocally on Imaginaerum. She definitely sounded happy to be there and really wanted to grow as a vocalist. Tarja and Floor sound very rehearsed and overly professional because I think that's just the nature of their vocal styles. I think singing like they do may require more practice and precision. Live nobody beats Floor though. I think she definitely comes more alive vocally than she does in the studio.

Dio's voice is probably the perfect mix of power and melody.

I think for me, the reason I don't rate studio Floor with Nightwish as highly as Annette or Tarja is because i found hearing her develop and grow with After Forever far more compelling. Her best studio work in my honest opinion remains with After Forever, especially Remagine. 

I honestly feel underwhelmed by her voice on Human Nature. I love her voice on EFMB, but I feel Annette could have been about the same for the most part. In fact when I first heard EFMB I felt underwhelmed because I expected more from Floor. However the album grew on me so much I don't care, its perfect.

However, I'm absolutely adoring Annette in The Dark Element. Both albums are exceptional and she's only gotten better. So, I'm still hard pressed to pick between the two.

I'm also disliking Floor going more operatic live the last couple of tours. I know she's versatile,  but it's not her strength. Compare the TV version of Phantom Of The Opera with the recent official live version with Nightwish. Far preferred her take on vocals a couple of years ago. 

I adore Floor BTW, I think its healthy to be honest about your faves strengths and weaknesses. 

On 3/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, J2112YYZ said:

Ozzy has always been a great melodic singer. With Sabbath he often just sang along with the riff. As a solo artist I think he got much better at creating his own melodic hooks. He's never been a technical singer but he has always had a tremendous sense of melody with his voice.

I always feel this when people say Ozzy brings nothing to the table. I believe you were the one that showed me the comparison between Junior's Eyes before and After Ozzy's contribution. He really changed the entire feel of the song.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 7:09 PM, Mithrandir said:

Queen

First 3 albums  a lot lately.

Their best albums, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Their best albums, in my opinion. 

II and SHA both crack my top 5.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

II and SHA both crack my top 5.

Top 5 for me

1. SHA

2. II

3. ANATO

4. Queen

5. The Works (Underrated)

my 3rd always fluctuates, lol.  I've had the debut there, News of the World.  Day at the Races.

I love Queen, lol

Right now it's Opera

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Top 5 for me

1. SHA

2. II

3. ANATO

4. Queen

my 3rd always fluctuates, lol.  I've had the debut there, News of the World.  Day at the Races.

I love Queen, lol

Right now it's Opera

Mick

Love it! Cool to see The Works, that one I go back to all the time. Here’s mine, which doesn’t really fluctuate:

1. ANATO

2. QII

3. NOTW

4. SHA

5. Innuendo

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Top 5 for me

1. SHA

2. II

3. ANATO

4. Queen

I love Queen, lol

Right now it's Opera

Mick

18 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Love it! Cool to see The Works, that one I go back to all the time. Here’s mine, which doesn’t really fluctuate:

1. ANATO

2. QII

3. NOTW

4. SHA

5. Innuendo

1: Sheer Heart Attack

2: Queen II

3: A Night at the Opera

4: A Day at the Races

5: News of the World

(2 & 3 could flip flop on any given day).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Cat 3 said:

1: Sheer Heart Attack

2: Queen II

3: A Night at the Opera

4: A Day at the Races

5: News of the World

(2 & 3 could flip flop on any given day).

Looks like we’re all in agreement that 74-75 was pretty much Queen’s best couple of years!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Looks like we’re all in agreement that 74-75 was pretty much Queen’s best couple of years!

Yea.  Races and News was to me Queen's turning  towards more mainstream songs.

ad i love News but my fav album run has always been the first 4.  Races is great as well but i see it as a transitional record.  you could hear old Queen mixing with something new.

And you know my relationship to 80's Queen.  love/hate, lol.

Mick

• Like 2

My top five Queen is their first five albums.

I'm slightly off in that I prefer A Day At The Races to Opera. But the first three are my top three, not sure which is number one.

But I really ought to give those eighties records a spin again. Innuendo is the best, I was surprised how much I didn't hate Hot Space the last time I played it. For an album that was reviled, it sure set the template for much of the popular music styles of that decade. 

• Like 1

Anyway, bands I'm obsessing over atm are Symphony X, UFO and Blind Guardian.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

My top five Queen is their first five albums.

I'm slightly off in that I prefer A Day At The Races to Opera. But the first three are my top three, not sure which is number one.

But I really ought to give those eighties records a spin again. Innuendo is the best, I was surprised how much I didn't hate Hot Space the last time I played it. For an album that was reviled, it sure set the template for much of the popular music styles of that decade. 

thing about HS is it's rep is a bit incorrect.  Only the first side is odd.

Side 2 is all pretty standard Queen.  so people have be lying to you a little for years, lol

Mick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Side 2 is all pretty standard Queen.  so people have be lying to you a little for years, lol

Mick

Trouble is for the longest time I didn't like standard queen either, so it was not an easy sell either side 🤣

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Yes this.

That inconsistency between side 1 and side 2 is actually one of my marks against it, as the “standard” Queen fare on side 2 isn’t all that fantastic, and the sounds explored on side 1 never really get explored again, despite how influential they were on the shape of pop music (via Thriller of course).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Timbale said:

Genesis.

Going through some hard times...and a deep dive into their catalogue from 1972 - 1978 or so is just making me feel so much beauty.

Some of their absolute best years those ones. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Some of their absolute best years those ones. 

Definitely. I enjoy some of their later period stuff, too - and Trespass before that, actually. But the five piece version with Hackett - and then the brief 4 piece without Gabriel is my favourite thing. Despite that, I’ve also being going back to And Then They Were Three.  It’s a kind of weird in between record - not quite Duke but on the way, but with more meandering and some sub level tunes. But - it’s still Genesis in the 70s, and still has moments that give me chills. Undertow kills me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timbale said:

Definitely. I enjoy some of their later period stuff, too - and Trespass before that, actually. But the five piece version with Hackett - and then the brief 4 piece without Gabriel is my favourite thing. Despite that, I’ve also being going back to And Then They Were Three.  It’s a kind of weird in between record - not quite Duke but on the way, but with more meandering and some sub level tunes. But - it’s still Genesis in the 70s, and still has moments that give me chills. Undertow kills me. 

Yes yes yes

ATTWT is actually pretty close to the bottom of my ranking, but as you said, it does have it’s moments that are awesome.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yes yes yes

ATTWT is actually pretty close to the bottom of my ranking, but as you said, it does have it’s moments that are awesome.

ATTW  Has some highlights but you can just hear them go.

"OK pete was one thing......but we lost Steve......WHAT DO WE DO?????!!!!!"

i mean that bleeds through.  it's all the more amazing cause them duke comes and they have their footing.  Duke Is not my fav but the turnaround is still shocking cause phil is all the sudden THE phil Collins on it.  OUTTA NOWHERE!!!!!!

Mick

• Like 2