Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

On 2/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, Timbale said:

Early Elton John.  I found a live record on spotify that is I think 1970 - Burn Down the Mission, Take Me To the Pilot etc... at that point, he was just playing with a bassist and a drummer, and man, it sounds good.  Amazing harmonies.  He made so much schlock later on, but Tumbleweed Connection and Honky Chateau are really the s**t.

Love Tumbleweed.  Especially the CD with the bonus tracks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mithrandir said:

Margo Price - a revelation!

She has quickly become an all-time favorite of mine

I haven’t listened to Strays in a few weeks now, I should revisit!

Last few days, I've been playing a lot of Deep Purple, UFO and Black Sabbath.

• Like 5

Helloween

Their discography is a mess. Kinda fun to explore though, but a lot of their discography is best described like this: they shit the bed

Never saw this coming, but hey music is music, you just go with the flow sometimes. I have found myself immersed in Symphony X's discography! The debut self-titled album is in its own right a really enjoyable album with a lot of great ideas and bold ambition. But my goodness, they just kept on getting better and better! 

And then we have Killing Joke, one of the most overlooked and undervalued bands in British history. Just great music, full of anger and darkness and melodies.

• Like 1

Dio.  Sabbath stuff and beyond.

I binged a bunch of his stuff last. Sabbath's  Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and his first 4 Dio Abums.  He was on FIRE in the 80's and i believe one of the best to ever pick up a mic.

Add like Rainbow Rising and it is truly an awe inspiring run for him.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

Edited by Segue Myles

On 3/6/2023 at 4:09 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Dio.  Sabbath stuff and beyond.

I binged a bunch of his stuff last. Sabbath's  Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and his first 4 Dio Abums.  He was on FIRE in the 80's and i believe one of the best to ever pick up a mic.

Add like Rainbow Rising and it is truly an awe inspiring run for him.

Mick

Dio, Rainbow, his work with Sabbath, all on my radar for exploration this year. I have a feeling I will prefer his Sabbath to Ozzy's. No offense to Ozzy, I really enjoy him, in Sab and solo.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Dio, Rainbow, his work with Sabbath, all on my radar for exploration this year. I have a feeling I will prefer his Sabbath to Ozzy's. No offense to Ozzy, I really enjoy him, in Sab and solo.

What have you heard from Dio before?

5 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

What have you heard from Dio before?

I've heard a huge amount, but he was never involved in anything that hooked me at the time. But he's also a singer I admire and I've never felt turned off his work. Think Blind Guardian/Queensryche/Symphony X: always been on my radar, never dug in deeply until one day i did and wish i had sooner. I anticipate once I do I will be enthralled, especially with my tastes these days.

Edited by Segue Myles

15 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I've heard a huge amount, but he was never involved in anything that hooked me at the time. But he's also a singer I admire and I've never felt turned off his work. Think Blind Guardian/Queensryche/Symphony X: always been on my radar, never dug in deeply until one day i did and wish i had sooner. I anticipate once I do I will be enthralled, especially with my tastes these days.

He has quite a long history in music. He actually started in the 1950s but it wasn't until Rainbow where he started to become more widely known. Starting with Rainbow his lyrics were a big influence on the power metal genre. He was one of the originals when it came to the fantasy, dungeons and dragons themed lyrics.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

He has quite a long history in music. He actually started in the 1950s but it wasn't until Rainbow where he started to become more widely known. Starting with Rainbow his lyrics were a big influence on the power metal genre. He was one of the originals when it came to the fantasy, dungeons and dragons themed lyrics.

I most enjoyed Rainbow of all he has done. Plus the Holy Diver album. I had no idea he started so long ago!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

it's Apples and oranges.  Ozzy's sabbath is much more eclectic surprisingly.  it melds more styles.  it tries basically everything.  Dio's Sabbath is more what you think when you picture full on metal....IMO of course.  It's more turn it up to 11 and just.......YEAAAAAAAAAAA LET'S ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

the comparisons are silly Two VERY  different bands if you ask me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it's Apples and oranges.  Ozzy's sabbath is much more eclectic surprisingly.  it melds more styles.  it tries basically everything.  Dio's Sabbath is more what you think when you picture full on metal....IMO of course.  It's more turn it up to 11 and just.......YEAAAAAAAAAAA LET'S ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

the comparisons are silly Two VERY  different bands if you ask me.

Mick

I do really like Ozzy Sabbath. In fact, had I never heard the million bands who ripped Sabbath off, I think they'd be a major favourite of mine.

And I also really love Ozzy's voice. Its very distinct and I think very overlooked when people talk about great singers.

But...Dio...

I just never gave his work as big an effort as I have other bands of his era. Its nothing personal, I can't listen to everything (though I try lmao)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I do really like Ozzy Sabbath. In fact, had I never heard the million bands who ripped Sabbath off, I think they'd be a major favourite of mine.

And I also really love Ozzy's voice. Its very distinct and I think very overlooked when people talk about great singers.

But...Dio...

I just never gave his work as big an effort as I have other bands of his era. Its nothing personal, I can't listen to everything (though I try lmao)

Ozzy......he may not be a a great technical singer.  Dio IS that.  In fact ozzy in that sense sucks, lol  but. BUT.....for what Sabbath was making in that era was perfect for Ozzy.

But Qzzy trying to sing Any Dio would be awful.....and actually vise versa.....Dio doing Ozzy Sabbath was never a good fit.

So depends on what you like.

Mick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Ozzy......he may not be a a great technical singer.  Dio IS that.  In fact ozzy in that sense sucks, lol  but. BUT.....for what Sabbath was making in that era was perfect for Ozzy.

But Qzzy trying to sing Any Dio would be awful.....and actually vise versa.....Dio doing Ozzy Sabbath was never a good fit.

Mick

True. But it depends on how limited you define greatness.

I think Nightwish are another band with multiple vocalists that offer the same level comparison. Totally contrasting styles, all very different in approach. Your favorite is down to taste.

For my money, it's Tarja on Century Child and Annette on DPP, but Floor live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I most enjoyed Rainbow of all he has done. Plus the Holy Diver album. I had no idea he started so long ago!!! 

He would be 80 if he was alive today.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

Ozzy has always been a great melodic singer. With Sabbath he often just sang along with the riff. As a solo artist I think he got much better at creating his own melodic hooks. He's never been a technical singer but he has always had a tremendous sense of melody with his voice.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Ozzy has always been a great melodic singer. With Sabbath he often just sang along with the riff. As a solo artist I think he got much better at creating his own melodic hooks. He's never been a technical singer but he has always had a tremendous sense of melody with his voice.

This is what I mean. I mean yes, we could talk about greatness in terms of technical ability, but I don't see everyone in agreement that Mariah Carey is the best. Being stupendously talented doesn't mean everyone will like what you do.

Many of my favourite singers have a genuine musicality, a feel, that I just can't get enough of. Geddy Lee, Cristina Scabbia, Stevie Nicks, Taylor Swift, all are singers with weaknesses (especially live) that just WORK for me when they explore what they are capable of. I find I prefer feeling to technicality. Not always though. I love Mariah for example. But can't stand Celine.

Ozzy I think is terrific because you can hear his enthusiasm for music. It's natural, something many technical singers can't learn.

It's also why I secretly love Annette the most from the three Nightwish girls in terms of studio performance. She sounds like she is genuinely having a good time, and more spontaneous, whilst I find Tarja and Floor sound very rehearsed and overly professional.

I will be interested to see how I find Dio. I've watched live videos of him in the past and found him very charming.

• Like 3