Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

Machine Head, Lamb Of God and now Pantera.

Never really understood the appeal of Pantera before, but Cowboys From Hell is blowing my mind! It's like the heavier side of eighties thrash metal, Judas Priest and ZZ Top fell down the stairs at the same time.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 5:39 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Chicago.

i really need to Add Chicago to my top 10 bands.

the Kath era blows me away each time i revisit.  i did try the 80's David Foster albums.  They are fine pop albums but not what i liked about the band.  I don't think the Cetera ballads are that bad.  What brought the band down to me was actually the addition of Bill  Champlin.  A highly random hire that was like fitting a square peg in a round hole.  Bill's talented enough but he no more fit chicago than Barry Manilow re-booting Rush, lol

Kath Chicago is best.

Mick

Mick ,

🤔 What Top 5 tracks from the Kath era do you most recommend that those un-familiar with his amazing 🎸 work should check out ?

10 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Mick ,

🤔 What Top 5 tracks from the Kath era do you most recommend that those un-familiar with his amazing 🎸 work should check out ?

well........

Start here

Them.

I'm A man

Introduction

Darlin' Dear

Oh Thank you Great Spirit

Make me Smile (more for his soulful vocals though, lol)

Terry Kath is a great that never got NEARLY his due at the time.

and still doesn't when people list guitarist/vocalists

Mick

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

well........

Start here

Them.

I'm A man

Introduction

Darlin' Dear

Oh Thank you Great Spirit

Make me Smile (more for his soulful vocals though, lol)

Terry Kath is a great that never got NEARLY his due at the time.

and still doesn't when people list guitarist/vocalists

Mick

Thanks Mick 👍😎

I’m going to check out some of these tracks right now ! 😊:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Pantera 

So far, Cowboys has had several plays. I love it. Vulgar Display Of Power is fine so far, will be a grower. I just get three songs in and have the urge to return to Lamb Of God

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Pantera 

So far, Cowboys has had several plays. I love it. Vulgar Display Of Power is fine so far, will be a grower. I just get three songs in and have the urge to return to Lamb Of God

You should continue on with Pantera so you can hear where Lamb Of God came from. The two albums after Vulgar are their heaviest and most aggressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

You should continue on with Pantera so you can hear where Lamb Of God came from. The two albums after Vulgar are their heaviest and most aggressive.

I'm excited for those two! Vulgar is definitely good, a few more spins will do the trick. This band is MEATY

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm excited for those two! Vulgar is definitely good, a few more spins will do the trick. This band is MEATY

We all thought they would be happy with all the success Vulgar gave them and might go a little more radio friendly like Metallica did. Nope! We were not ready for Far Beyond Driven. Like not even a little bit. That album actually took me a little to get into as I had never heard anything as aggressive and angry as that before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

We all thought they would be happy with all the success Vulgar gave them and might go a little more radio friendly like Metallica did. Nope! We were not ready for Far Beyond Driven. Like not even a little bit. That album actually took me a little to get into as I had never heard anything as aggressive and angry as that before.

See it's fascinating to me. I listened to Machine Head for years, I already new Pantera laid the groundwork for Burn My Eyes but I never got into Pantera (it happens, no biggy). Burn My Eyes remains incredible and always will, but Pantera literally paved the way for the era of metal I grew up in (I refuse to acknowledge nu metal, my style was goth, melodic death metal, metal core, prof metal, black/death/grind (but never to the extent of, say, Treeduck)).

Pantera and I are finally having a moment, like me and Priest a couple of years ago.

I just love metal. It never ceases to amaze me how many great bands there are, whether hidden away in the underground or super famous. Blind Guardian and Queensryche were the two huge bands this year that blew me away (BG are hugely respected in Europe. For some reason I always dismissed them, assuming they were something naff like DragonForce or boring as f**k like Arch Enemy). Throw in Rhapsody, who being Italian never seem to ever get mentioned (you'd think Lacuna Coil were the only metal band ever from Italy). 

Pantera are actually a nice easy fit for me. I've never been so into Lamb Of God or Machine Head before (I genuinely thought I loved them both but holy f**k they have only gone and blown up even more in my world). 

I can't see me ever really getting into nineties bands like Fear Factory or Coal Chamber, but who knows at this point.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

See it's fascinating to me. I listened to Machine Head for years, I already new Pantera laid the groundwork for Burn My Eyes but I never got into Pantera (it happens, no biggy). Burn My Eyes remains incredible and always will, but Pantera literally paved the way for the era of metal I grew up in (I refuse to acknowledge nu metal, my style was goth, melodic death metal, metal core, prof metal, black/death/grind (but never to the extent of, say, Treeduck)).

Pantera and I are finally having a moment, like me and Priest a couple of years ago.

I just love metal. It never ceases to amaze me how many great bands there are, whether hidden away in the underground or super famous. Blind Guardian and Queensryche were the two huge bands this year that blew me away (BG are hugely respected in Europe. For some reason I always dismissed them, assuming they were something naff like DragonForce or boring as f**k like Arch Enemy). Throw in Rhapsody, who being Italian never seem to ever get mentioned (you'd think Lacuna Coil were the only metal band ever from Italy). 

Pantera are actually a nice easy fit for me. I've never been so into Lamb Of God or Machine Head before (I genuinely thought I loved them both but holy f**k they have only gone and blown up even more in my world). 

I can't see me ever really getting into nineties bands like Fear Factory or Coal Chamber, but who knows at this point.

There is nothing wrong with Fear Factory. You know that Burton C. Bell pretty much created the metalcore vocal style, right? Give Demanufacture and Obsolete a listen. I see no reason why you wouldn't like them.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 2:43 PM, Mr. Not said:

Trick or Treat 

listening through all their work again and discovering some really addicting guitar riffs

crazy to think it's almost been a month since i posted this, because this exact band/song is still my primary go-to

this is the surest sign that i've been listening to a lot less music lately

1:26 is the guitar riff in question 

3 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

There is nothing wrong with Fear Factory. You know that Burton C. Bell pretty much created the metalcore vocal style, right? Give Demanufacture and Obsolete a listen. I see no reason why you wouldn't like them.

My biggest issue with FF is years ago I read an interview with a member of the band who hated gay people and likened them to mating pigs with sheep. It was in a 2006 edition of the UK Rock Sound magazine. And yeah I get the vocal styling, but I have no genuine interest ATM to get into them, though I sense I could if I could stomach their views.

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

My biggest issue with FF is years ago I read an interview with a member of the band who hated gay people and likened them to mating pigs with sheep. It was in a 2006 edition of the UK Rock Sound magazine. And yeah I get the vocal styling, but I have no genuine interest ATM to get into them, though I sense I could if I could stomach their views.

Do you have a link to that article? I'm curious as to who it was. They never let anything like that into their songwriting. I wonder why that would even come up in a interview?

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Do you have a link to that article? I'm curious as to who it was. They never let anything like that into their songwriting. I wonder why that would even come up in a interview?

It was in the magazine. If the band don't lean into that mindset, I can get into it.

I'm used to thinking many metal bands probably wouldn't like me 🤣

23 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It was in the magazine. If the band don't lean into that mindset, I can get into it.

Well if it means anything I’m sure Judas Priest would love to hang out with you!

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Also, it's not like they just said this. It was years ago and perhaps that person has changed or isn't even in the band anymore.

24 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Also, it's not like they just said this. It was years ago and perhaps that person has changed or isn't even in the band anymore.

This is very true. 

Okay, I will put that magazine aside and judge the music. I only really ever draw the line of the content of the music offends me (like pro-Nazi metal, which there is a disturbingly large amount of. But it's easy to ignore.)

14 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

This is very true. 

Okay, I will put that magazine aside and judge the music. I only really ever draw the line of the content of the music offends me (like pro-Nazi metal, which there is a disturbingly large amount of. But it's easy to ignore.)

some of my fav musicians are horibe people i'm sure, lol

in fact i'd say most probably are if i had to lay bets.  i generally don't care as littlle offends me and i'll only be alive once.

Mick

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

some of my fav musicians are horibe people i'm sure, lol

in fact i'd say most probably are if i had to lay bets.  i generally don't care as littlle offends me and i'll only be alive once.

Mick

Agreed 

But if you're releasing music that promotes anti-Semitism and support for Nazi ideology, which I have been coming across with increasing frequency (on certain sites/YouTube etc), I honestly think you're straight up trash.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Agreed 

But if you're releasing music that promotes anti-Semitism and support for Nazi ideology, which I have been coming across with increasing frequency (on certain sites/YouTube etc), I honestly think you're straight up trash.

I may never listen to Kanye West again.

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I work in mental health. To see fans blame it all on his bipolar is despicable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I work in mental health. To see fans blame it all on his bipolar is despicable.

I blame him. There’s no excuse for what he’s said. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

i was never a Kanye guy to begin with but............NOT a cool look.

And he's just doing it to stay talked about.

and folks will still buy his shit.

Mick

• Like 2