Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Rush, Taylor Swift and Rhapsody Of Fire

I think you’re the only person in the world ever to mention these three artists in the same sentence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

no but i'll give them a go since i'm in the mood.

Mick

Ooh you’re in for a treat!! The albums to check out are Per Un Amico from PFM, Felona E Sorona from Le Orme, and Darwin! from Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso. A note about Banco, I don’t think they’re on streaming services, but I’m sure you can find that album of theirs for free on YouTube.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I think you’re the only person in the world ever to mention these three artists in the same sentence.

I've had such a peculiar listening year. I'm not sure what's happened, it's been more offbeat than usual. 

Btw, recent Paramore has grown on me. I think they are way past emo now. I like their style, it's very eighties but not always in the most obvious way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I've had such a peculiar listening year. I'm not sure what's happened, it's been more offbeat than usual. 

Btw, recent Paramore has grown on me. I think they are way past emo now. I like their style, it's very eighties but not always in the most obvious way

In terms of sounding like Jimmy Eat World type stuff, yeah they’ve moved on from their emo phase. But Haley will be the first to argue that what they do is still emo, just in a different way. I do think they’ve really hit a unique sound on the last album, very 80s as you said, but still very them. Have you heard their new single This Is Why? It backs off of the 80s synth influences and seems to be going in a slightly post punk direction? I can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s a catchy little nugget of alternative.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

In terms of sounding like Jimmy Eat World type stuff, yeah they’ve moved on from their emo phase. But Haley will be the first to argue that what they do is still emo, just in a different way. I do think they’ve really hit a unique sound on the last album, very 80s as you said, but still very them. Have you heard their new single This Is Why? It backs off of the 80s synth influences and seems to be going in a slightly post punk direction? I can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s a catchy little nugget of alternative.

Yes I loved it! 

• Like 2

Having a new dalliance with Judas Priest. I say this about them all the time, they are a genuinely amazing band whose music speaks more to me every single time I come back to them. I love their run of albums from the brilliant bluesy Rocka Rolla to the killer, surprisingly goofy Defenders Of The Faith. Something else I'm really admiring about this band, they were ridiculously gay 😂 me being me (no one's business should you happen to ask), I'm listening to killer metal songs having to reach out for the lyrics because I'm having a "what the f**k did he say?" moment. Rob Halford hid in plain sight, that's for sure!

There is a wonderful goofiness about Priest that only enhances their greatness for me. I love them so much, I really am loving growing as a fan of them, they are definitely one of the greats for me. Rush, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest...does it get any better?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Having a new dalliance with Judas Priest. I say this about them all the time, they are a genuinely amazing band whose music speaks more to me every single time I come back to them. I love their run of albums from the brilliant bluesy Rocka Rolla to the killer, surprisingly goofy Defenders Of The Faith. Something else I'm really admiring about this band, they were ridiculously gay 😂 me being me (no one's business should you happen to ask), I'm listening to killer metal songs having to reach out for the lyrics because I'm having a "what the f**k did he say?" moment. Rob Halford hid in plain sight, that's for sure!

There is a wonderful goofiness about Priest that only enhances their greatness for me. I love them so much, I really am loving growing as a fan of them, they are definitely one of the greats for me. Rush, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest...does it get any better?

Halford did hide in plain sight. Look at what he used to wear on stage back in the 80s. He was telling everyone without really telling them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

Halford did hide in plain sight. Look at what he used to wear on stage back in the 80s. He was telling everyone without really telling them.

Obviously being born in 1990 raised in the era I have been, it's always been glaringly obvious. But what I didn't realise was the amount of really overtly gay stuff in the lyrics. He is hilarious 😂 

Did straight metal fans really listen to Eat Me Alive and think THIS DUDE LOVES CHICKS coz I'm getting more THIS DUDE LOVES CHICK FLICKS 😂

It's all over the discography though. I don't understand how it's taken me so long to pick up on this 😂

I kinda like knowing maybe the best metal band ever was gay as f**k. But enough about Grim Reaper...😉

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Obviously being born in 1990 raised in the era I have been, it's always been glaringly obvious. But what I didn't realise was the amount of really overtly gay stuff in the lyrics. He is hilarious 😂 

Did straight metal fans really listen to Eat Me Alive and think THIS DUDE LOVES CHICKS coz I'm getting more THIS DUDE LOVES CHICK FLICKS 😂

It's all over the discography though. I don't understand how it's taken me so long to pick up on this 😂

I kinda like knowing maybe the best metal band ever was gay as f**k. But enough about Grim Reaper...😉

He pretty much told everyone he was gay in the lyrics to Raw Deal. Maybe people didn't really know what Fire Island was for a long time but he couldn't have been more obvious with that reference.

• Like 1

Late 2000's era live PT.    Warszawa, XM, and XM2. 

Haven't listened to these in ages (lost files over time).  Downloaded fresh copies this past week (and added them to my backup scheme).

Nice to hear. Warszawa was remastered and extended a bit in 2020.  All 3 sound great and giving me the nostalgia of when I first discovered PT in 2005-ish. 

Fower kings

Spock's beard

Blue Oyster cult.

Also tried Priest and Rush  but i don't think those'll stick.  Really not in the mood for priest.  Rush whild i did enjoy presto.....just really honestly doesn't melt my butter anymore.

Mick

• Like 1

Chicago.

i really need to Add Chicago to my top 10 bands.

the Kath era blows me away each time i revisit.  i did try the 80's David Foster albums.  They are fine pop albums but not what i liked about the band.  I don't think the Cetera ballads are that bad.  What brought the band down to me was actually the addition of Bill  Champlin.  A highly random hire that was like fitting a square peg in a round hole.  Bill's talented enough but he no more fit chicago than Barry Manilow re-booting Rush, lol

Kath Chicago is best.

Mick

• Like 2

I know i osted already but since than i've only fallen deeper for Chicago.  I don't what is about this re-listen but they may be 2nd fav band of all time at this point hands down.

Their ability to be SO far out there while still making radio hit after radio hit was amazing.  i watched a documentary on Terry Kath and that guy was really a musical genius. but he had a hard time dealing with Chicago's fame.  so he resorted more to drugs.  the shame of it all is towards the end of his life.  He was in the first stages recording a guitar driven album  with a trio band and really gearing up to leave Chicago.  A kath guitar driven trio would have been awesome.

Mick

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Night Ranger - early , mid & latter period 

love each & every album 😎

I love them. The latest album was fantastic.

• Like 2

ATM, Machine Head and Lamb Of God. I'm having an angry month, and their raging metal anthems are somewhat soothing.

10 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

I know i osted already but since than i've only fallen deeper for Chicago.  I don't what is about this re-listen but they may be 2nd fav band of all time at this point hands down.

Their ability to be SO far out there while still making radio hit after radio hit was amazing.  i watched a documentary on Terry Kath and that guy was really a musical genius. but he had a hard time dealing with Chicago's fame.  so he resorted more to drugs.  the shame of it all is towards the end of his life.  He was in the first stages recording a guitar driven album  with a trio band and really gearing up to leave Chicago.  A kath guitar driven trio would have been awesome.

Mick

Did anyone ever find out who else would’ve been in the trio?? Add it to the list of epic things that didn’t come to fruition tragically, like H.E.L.P. (Hendrix + ELP)

• Like 3