Garth Brooks 

The rest of my current go to's are a bit more linked: 

Machine Head 

Kreator 

Lamb Of God 

Septicflesh

• Like 3

recently Tremonti and Alter Bridge.

particularly Walk the Sky and Marching in time.

Walk the sky is interesting in that i keep saying to myself it's not that good but nope i love it more each play.  Closing in on my fav AB abum actually.

and Marching in time.......i realy didn't give much the time it deserves when it came out.  I don't think it tops A Dying Machine but damn it's close.  Actually Tremonti and newer Trivium are very similar in style sans the growling with Tremonti.  When Matt sings clean he actually souds remarkably like Tremonti IMO.

Mick

After playing them to death earlier this year, I'm back into Blind Guardian.

Suffice to say, this band has been in my life less than a year, but already mean as much to me as Nightwish, Maiden, Rush or Lacuna Coil. Same with Rhapsody Of Fire. Savatage lead me here (and oh boy I love them too!). It's been a fantastic year for "new to me" music, as well as new music in general, especially metal.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, Segue Myles said:

Okay let me get the odd one out of the way first:

Garth Brooks 

The rest of my current go to's are a bit more linked: 

Machine Head 

Kreator 

Lamb Of God 

Septicflesh

Not heard of Septicflesh but meaning to check out the other 3 metal bands you mentioned (I do have a Garth Brooks CD single somewhere so that will keep me going for a while :tongue:). 

What albums should I start with? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Not heard of Septicflesh but meaning to check out the other 3 metal bands you mentioned (I do have a Garth Brooks CD single somewhere so that will keep me going for a while :tongue:). 

Machine Head: Bloodstones And Diamonds (I'm going with this over The Blackening because the hooks are bigger, and it touches on most of the styles they are known for)

Lamb Of God: Sacrament 

Kreator: Pleasure To Kill for the old school, any of their more recent albums, the titles of which escape me.

However if you love prog and a bit of German thrash, I'd recommend Mekong Delta's Dances Of Death over Kreator. I refer to it as the thrash metal Hemispheres. Overlooked masterpiece if you ask me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

What are your thoughts on growling vocals? If you don't like that then Lamb Of God isn't for you. Machine Head is very aggressive and heavy but they still have great melodic hooks mixed with aggressive vocals. If you know Phil Anselmo's vocal style, it's kind of like that. I would actually go with Machine Head's new album Of Kingdom And Crown. Tons of hooks on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J2112YYZ said:

What are your thoughts on growling vocals? If you don't like that then Lamb Of God isn't for you. Machine Head is very aggressive and heavy but they still have great melodic hooks mixed with aggressive vocals. If you know Phil Anselmo's vocal style, it's kind of like that. I would actually go with Machine Head's new album Of Kingdom And Crown. Tons of hooks on it.

Don't mind growling vocals as long as it doesn't overwhelm the music. 

I like Opeth but I suspect Micheal A's vocals are probably the mildest version of that style. 

8 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Don't mind growling vocals as long as it doesn't overwhelm the music. 

I like Opeth but I suspect Micheal A's vocals are probably the mildest version of that style. 

Actually I'd say he's amongst the very best.

Tiny Moving Parts 

Macseal

I've been really into Midwest Emo and some Math Rock lately 

Fireworks

A beloved pop punk band who just returned to touring after 7 years.

Pallas.  I've just discovered Pallas.   Holy shit.

Bought their whole catalog this past week.  Haven't been hit this hard by a band in a long time. 

51 minutes ago, grep said:

Pallas.  I've just discovered Pallas.   Holy shit.

Bought their whole catalog this past week.  Haven't been hit this hard by a band in a long time. 

I've only got The Sentinel on LP (so haven't played it for a long time) but I've always loved the track Arrive Alive and don't remember what the rest is like. 

Didn't they stop for a bit after that album before resuming? Are all the albums worth a listen? 

2 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

I've only got The Sentinel on LP (so haven't played it for a long time) but I've always loved the track Arrive Alive and don't remember what the rest is like. 

Didn't they stop for a bit after that album before resuming? Are all the albums worth a listen? 

I know they have at least 3 studio albums in the last 10-12 years.  Names and timing...I'm still learning.

I've been through about 5 records from the catalog now... and I'd say they have a pretty consistent sound.  If one likes heavy and Marillion sounding Prog, then yeah... this is a band for you.

• Like 1

Today I'm all about the new Lacuna Coil and Alter Bridge albums. 

Expected little from both, absolutely loving them way more than I anticipated.

The last couple of months have been incredible for new releases! Septicflesh, Machine Head, Blind Guardian, Lamb Of God and now these two. Wow. I am loving 2022!

Queensryche’s new album.

Digital Noise Alliance.

FANTASTIC.

• Like 2

Alter Bridge 

It's been a long time since I felt this in love with AB. I know fans on TRF disagree with me, but I didn't think Walk The Sky was a great album (just very good). But the latest album, Pawns And Kings, has restored my adoration and love of this band (who I used to rank in my top ten).

Oh gosh it's been great getting back to them, especially ABIII and The Last Hero, two albums I forgot I loved to the extent I do.

• Like 2

the 1975.

lord where have i been?

i played their new one and i'm hooked.  retro Melodic but also experimental.  this band is loads of fun.  if you  want retro 80's flavored bangers i don't think you'll find a better band or solo artist that's doing it better currently.

i literally binged every album all night last night.

I'm shook.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

the 1975.

lord where have i been?

i played their new one and i'm hooked.  retro Melodic but also experimental.  this band is loads of fun.  if you  want retro 80's flavored bangers i don't think you'll find a better band or solo artist that's doing it better currently.

i literally binged every album all night last night.

I'm shook.

Mick

My friend in college used to imitate their singer singing other people’s songs to annoy me, lol.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

AMAZING transcendent band for me.

Mick

i still haven't gotten into much of their stuff aside from the "Oranges & Lemons" album. Mayor Of Simpleton is one of the best rock songs i've ever heard, i was abusing repeat on that track for a good year without listening to anything else by them really, lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

i still haven't gotten into much of their stuff aside from the "Oranges & Lemons" album. Mayor Of Simpleton is one of the best rock songs i've ever heard, i was abusing repeat on that track for a good year without listening to anything else by them really, lol

i think you'll really enjoy them.  at their heart they're a pop band but high artsy pop and i love it.

Mick

• Like 1