Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

7 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Oh well, I dug the beginning of it when I listened the other day.

It's still very, very good. In fact, any BG album has the potential to be a good starting point. Just have fun with it, they are extremely talented AND nerdy.

• Like 1

Mastodon

I am gobsmacked but I finally got into Emperor Of Sand, and I'm obsessed with it. It might even be my favourite album of theirs now!

• Like 1

well Segue continues his metal binge.  i continue in like classic rock/AOR land

Toto

LRB

Steely Dan

Journey (the first AOR melodic Rock band and a sentimental fav always)

The 70's was such a rich era for this style and it fit in so well that decade.

Mick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

well Segue continues his metal binge.  i continue in like classic rock/AOR land

Toto

LRB

Steely Dan

Journey (the first AOR melodic Rock band and a sentimental fav always)

The 70's was such a rich era for this style and it fit in so well that decade.

Mick

Tbf, that binge is something grand. No complaints from me! You've reminded me I still have more Journey to explore 

• Like 1

Rhapsody/Rhapsody Of Fire

Wow

I've been listening to some more recent pop punk. I've been listening to a lot of State Champs, and Super American

Chris Rea (early Rea)

Steely Dan

Journey

Toto

basically same area of music.......i'm so chill right now that anything harder than this list makes me anxious, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

I'm so varied and eclectic in my tastes.

Meanwhile:

Blind Guardian

Rhapsody Of Fire 

• Like 2

Dino Jelusick is one of the most talented musicians I've ever seen.  He sings way better than David Coverdale and he is a madman on the keyboard.  It doesn't hurt that he has a masters degree in music from a Croatian university.  He is only 30.  Currently touring with Whitesnake. 

One journalist called him the best rock vocalist alive right now.  I think I would agree with that.  

Edited by Krystal
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, Segue Myles said:

I'm so varied and eclectic in my tastes.

Meanwhile:

Blind Guardian

Rhapsody Of Fire 

never got into rhapsody too much unfortunately, i want to love them because i'm biased towards Italy

i've listened to them enough (up until From Chaos to Eternity, which is also their best album imot) to memorize where about each guitar solo is, so when i do feel like listening to Luca's sweep guitar solos i just listen through the songs and then skip to / replay the guitar solos. his own solo project / spliner rhapsody group is just as good as Rhapsody of Fire itself 

this song is great, i like the vocalist better than fabio. this video still has less than 100k views and it's going to be a decade old before we know it.. very overlooked

• Like 1

Revolution Saints . Hitting those power and melodic metal vibes.

Jeff Scott Soto's solo stuff too. Same vibe. 

Like Journey....but kinda different.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

never got into rhapsody too much unfortunately, i want to love them because i'm biased towards Italy

i've listened to them enough (up until From Chaos to Eternity, which is also their best album imot) to memorize where about each guitar solo is, so when i do feel like listening to Luca's sweep guitar solos i just listen through the songs and then skip to / replay the guitar solos. his own solo project / spliner rhapsody group is just as good as Rhapsody of Fire itself 

this song is great, i like the vocalist better than fabio. this video still has less than 100k views and it's going to be a decade old before we know it.. very overlooked

I was never into Power Metal ever really. Closest is symphonic metal ans, of course, Sonata Arctica.

For whatever reason, I've fallen madly in love with Rhapsody/Of Fire!

Bigger Blind Guardian fan though.

• Like 1

Elvis Costello.

Ever have ome of those holy shit where has this artist been all my life moments?  happened a couple BIG times both later in my music listening life

1. Steely Dan-I was about 19.  heard i think pretzel Logic.  it was a wrap my fav band of all time to this day.

2.  and Elvis was the other.  i heard himm guest first with Paul Mccartney on flowers In the Dirt.  loved his voice.  Didn't investigate further.  THEN.  when i was about 21.  my Uncle had Costello going in the backround.  it was Armed Forces.  i went WHO.....is that???? and my uncle burned me the CD (remember burning? lol) and i was hooked.  Costello is so so SO special to me.

Mick

• Like 2

Pages.

A little known band (from what i've searched)  Richard pages (of Mr. Mister fame)  first outfit but i like this band far more.  MM is a little too clinical for me.  However I freakin' love Pages.  they have more warmth.  more natural sounding.  and the grooves they lay down.  smooth man!!!  Think Early Toto mixed with Steely Dan.

they're debut has not left my rotation since i discovered them.

but all 3 records are fab.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 6:07 AM, bluefox4000 said:

Elvis Costello.

Ever have ome of those holy shit where has this artist been all my life moments?  happened a couple BIG times both later in my music listening life

1. Steely Dan-I was about 19.  heard i think pretzel Logic.  it was a wrap my fav band of all time to this day.

I just couldn't get it when young, now it's time, they're amazing...still have a lot of SD to discover.

• Like 1

Saxon 

They really are an underdog band, always in the shadow of better bands like Priest and Maiden. And yet, I absolutely adore them 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Saxon 

They really are an underdog band, always in the shadow of better bands like Priest and Maiden. And yet, I absolutely adore them 

Fave album so far?  The live album Eagle Has Landed is absolutely killer!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steevo said:

Fave album so far?  The live album Eagle Has Landed is absolutely killer!

I'm very partial to Wheels Of Steel. 747 is my favourite Saxon song for one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steevo said:

I just couldn't get it when young, now it's time, they're amazing...still have a lot of SD to discover.

and you know what they're not for everyone......but i just think they're amazing.

the songs

the playing

the production.

Donald Fagen's vocals.

The Royal Scam is probably in my top ten albums of all time.

Mick

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 7:07 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Elvis Costello.

2.  and Elvis was the other.  i heard himm guest first with Paul Mccartney on flowers In the Dirt.  loved his voice.  Didn't investigate further.  THEN.  when i was about 21.  my Uncle had Costello going in the backround.  it was Armed Forces.  i went WHO.....is that???? and my uncle burned me the CD (remember burning? lol) and i was hooked.  Costello is so so SO special to me.

Mick

I still can’t get passed Costello slagging off the mighty Toto LOL ! 😮🙃🤬:pirate: 😉

Luke ‘ nailed ‘ Costello’s vocal style on their cover of ‘ Watching the Detectives ‘ … I bet Costello & his band couldn’t pull off a decent Toto cover ! 😜:LOL:

On 7/16/2022 at 8:28 AM, Segue Myles said:

Saxon 

Bit more straight ahead Heavy Metal especially to early Priest.  Love Saxon.

Probably sacrilege to many but I've never really got into Priest in a big way. I like the odd song here or there but there never found their output completely satisfying. Sorry :blush2:

• Like 1