Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

Dark Tranquillity and Deftones today!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

It's weird, even though Deftones are popular I can't recall ever hearing anything from them on the radio. I would have still been listening to the radio regularly during the time they would have been at their popularity peak. Yet nothing comes to mind when I hear the name. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

It's weird, even though Deftones are popular I can't recall ever hearing anything from them on the radio. I would have still been listening to the radio regularly during the time they would have been at their popularity peak. Yet nothing comes to mind when I hear the name. 

I have never really given them a chance. They are one of the most popular rock/metal bands in the UK, and until recently I never really cared for their hits. Though for whatever reason, possibly nostalgia, I have found myself enjoying them.

• Like 1

Opeth - still catching up with their recent 'prog' phase but I still can't fault Mikael's band's output.

The Blue Aeroplanes - an 80s UK alternative/indie/rock-ish band with crazy Polish dancer at their gigs (see Motorhead without the big breasts and nudity!). Singer mostly talks his lyrics in a poetry style. Kind of a UK non-rap spoken style. Or something. 

The Tea Party - Canadian power trio. Reformed in the last few years after a hiatus. Powerful modern metal Led Zep-ish style with Middle Eastern influxes up to the max on some songs. Kerrang magazine reviewed their 'The Edges of Twilight'  '95 album as '..the equivalent of a good hard shag!...' and who am I to disagree! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Opeth - still catching up with their recent 'prog' phase but I still can't fault Mikael's band's output.

The Blue Aeroplanes - an 80s UK alternative/indie/rock-ish band with crazy Polish dancer at their gigs (see Motorhead without the big breasts and nudity!). Singer mostly talks his lyrics in a poetry style. Kind of a UK non-rap spoken style. Or something. 

The Tea Party - Canadian power trio. Reformed in the last few years after a hiatus. Powerful modern metal Led Zep-ish style with Middle Eastern influxes up to the max on some songs. Kerrang magazine reviewed their 'The Edges of Twilight'  '95 album as '..the equivalent of a good hard shag!...' and who am I to disagree! 

Love The Tea Party. Been a fan since Edges Of Twilight. I live close to Canada and was able to pick up some radio stations from there and that's how I found out about them. Don't think I would know who they were otherwise. Outside of border cities, the never made a dent in the US.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

And Ben Harper - lost track of his output after Diamonds on the Inside and desperately trying to catch up with it. 

He went to my high school but not the same time.  He graduated 12 years before me and spoke at the 2003 graduation ceremonies 4 years after I graduated.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

They got Change (ItHoF) played on alt rock a lot when White Pony came out and I remember Minerva getting some airplay on MTV2 and Fuse a bit since they were more rock oriented.  I used to watch the rock countdown that Jim Shearer hosted each week back then and it was often there that Summer.  Great looking video as well with that Salton Sea sand dune setting. Obviously no chance at getting airplay much since "alt rock" radio is playing fake crap like MGK, AJR and Imagine Dragons.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Dark Tranquillity today.

I have been aware of them for decades, have listened to one album (and loved it) in the past, but I'm gobsmacked how brilliant their discography is. 

They are like the missing link between Paradise Lost and In Flames, which for me is a match made in heaven.

i just posted but now i'm real all in.

XTC.

i'd always really liked them but now it's LOVE  Such a diverse Catalogue.

My fav run of albums is probably Mummer To Oranges and Lemons cause that's when they really started exploring their palate.....so pretty much after they stopped Touring.  I like the early new wave albums.  but that mid period is great.

a major fav now.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

On 5/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, Segue Myles said:

Early Deftones have some great music.   I first saw them at OzzFest and went out and bought their first album.   I have the four of their albums. 

I'm getting predictable:

Blind Guardian

In Flames 

Dark Tranquillity

ELO

the weather's getting warmer here.  nows the time i put aside the metal and heavy ass stuff for melodic pop/rock and AOR.

ELO fits my taste perfectly right now.

Mick

• Like 6

Just now, Leanne said:

My Chemical Romance

Are you going to When We Were Young? 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 7:15 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Are you going to When We Were Young? 

No I'm not, however, I will be seeing them in Oklahoma City in August. Are you going to that festival? I can't believe all the bands that will be there!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leanne said:

No I'm not, however, I will be seeing them in Oklahoma City in August. Are you going to that festival? I can't believe all the bands that will be there!

I wish!  It's about impossible to get tickets anymore, it would take a miracle. 

That said, if I were going, I think right now I'd actually be more excited to see Paramore than MCR.  Just how much I've been getting into them over the past little while, I would be ecstatic.

• Like 2

Today:

Iced Earth 

Paradise Lost 

After Forever