Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

I’m having a small obsession with Foo Fighters. I watched some of their live concert from Atlanta Saturday night and they are on my bucket list to see in concert. I had a couple songs on my iPod and I bought a couple more songs yesterday.

Not a big fan, but I saw them in 2013 (I think) and it was a concert for the ages!

• Like 2

Not really obsessing over any bands, but I have played Epica, Megadeth and Rush a lot lately.
  • Like 1

Nothing anybody here would like.

Mick

Meat Loaf?

on the right track......Broadway musicals, lol i joined a theater group on facebook and i'm obsessed right now.

Mick

Sondheim stuff, or older? Or newer?

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

Stained Class is their best album imo. Though Painkiller recently gave it a run for its money for me.

• Like 1

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

About......damn.......TIME!!!!!

Mick

I think British Steel gave me slightly the wrong impression. The seventies stuff is a way better way to get into them!

• Like 3

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

Mick

I think British Steel gave me slightly the wrong impression. The seventies stuff is a way better way to get into them!

I agree British Steel was not the place to start. 70's Priest kills.

80's is good but 70's is the era.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

Mick

80's is good but 70's in the era.

Mick

To be honest I just never had the desire. But getting back into Rush and Iron Maiden recently, and knowing I like some really cheesy stuff from the seventies, I thought it's time I listened to some proper metal from the era so this year I want to spend time with Priest and Sabbath.

• Like 2

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

Mick

Mick

Fact. I think my first JP album years ago was British Steel and it did nothing for me at the time. That was a big grower, but I had to hear Sad Wings and Stained Class first, and Screaming For Vengeance.

• Like 1

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

Mick

Mick

Fact. I think my first JP album years ago was British Steel and it did nothing for me at the time. That was a big grower, but I had to hear Sad Wings and Stained Class first, and Screaming For Vengeance.

In the UK British Steel is spoken of in the rock press as some all time masterpiece. Not sure how...it isn't that great to my ears (maybe a revisit will change my mind). They have at least three better albums based on what I've heard!

Breaking The Law is also one of the worst "classic" rock songs I have ever heard.

Happy to be corrected on the value of their worth!

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

Mick

Mick

In the UK British Steel is spoken of in the rock press as some all time masterpiece. Not sure how...it isn't that great to my ears (maybe a revisit will change my mind). They have at least three better albums based on what I've heard!

Breaking The Law is also one of the worst "classic" rock songs I have ever heard.

To get into British Steel, I had to put myself more in the mindset of listening to a fun, blood pumping, heavy pop rock album than a metal one. Everything about British Steel is trimmed of fat and frill. It’s just lean heavy riffs with head bobbing tempos and earworm hooks. It’s fun, not epic.

• Like 2

British Steel is a great album, but Stained Class is better and Killing Machine might be my favorite Priest album. Edited by Na na na
  • Like 2

Lacuna Coil

Paradise Lost

Ghost

Beyoncè

The self titled and Lemonade are two of the greatest albums of the last decade. I know many people will tear the albums apart because of the number of writers/producers etc. But the results speak for themselves, and the two albums reflect the vision of one person. Beyoncé is the greatest "pop" star of this generation. Absolutely breathtaking albums. Throw in Dangerously In Love and you have my three favourite RnB albums of all time.

RnB?.........Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, BB King etc are RNB.......since when did that term get mixed up with hideously over produced super smooth acts?

Whatever she is I prefer to anything you just posted.

genre labels have really gotten out of hand in some cases. For instance, alternative used to make sense in the throughout the classic rock era, especially once it picked up in the 80s. Even into the grunge era alternative still made sense as grunge was a revolution of bringing the underground above ground, and alternative was still alternative to something. Nowadays though, if Imagine Dragons and Coldplay can be classified as alternative, I'm pretty sure the term has lost all real meaning. Same probably goes for rnb. It used to refer to one very specific style of music, now it refers to another which is in many way very unrelated to the former. It seems like new styles should have another option than being labeled under genre classifications that don't apply to them.

If BB King and Beyonce are both RnB, or if Coldplay and The Velvet Underground are both alternative, something has gone wrong with the genre system, no matter which artists you like and which you don't.

VU ain't alt, alt is stuff like R.E.M., The Lightning Seeds, Suede, The Ocean Blue, Pixies, etc etc. Alt is Indie pretty much.

Lacuna Coil

Paradise Lost

Ghost

Beyoncè

The self titled and Lemonade are two of the greatest albums of the last decade. I know many people will tear the albums apart because of the number of writers/producers etc. But the results speak for themselves, and the two albums reflect the vision of one person. Beyoncé is the greatest "pop" star of this generation. Absolutely breathtaking albums. Throw in Dangerously In Love and you have my three favourite RnB albums of all time.

RnB?.........Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, BB King etc are RNB.......since when did that term get mixed up with hideously over produced super smooth acts?

Whatever she is I prefer to anything you just posted.

genre labels have really gotten out of hand in some cases. For instance, alternative used to make sense in the throughout the classic rock era, especially once it picked up in the 80s. Even into the grunge era alternative still made sense as grunge was a revolution of bringing the underground above ground, and alternative was still alternative to something. Nowadays though, if Imagine Dragons and Coldplay can be classified as alternative, I'm pretty sure the term has lost all real meaning. Same probably goes for rnb. It used to refer to one very specific style of music, now it refers to another which is in many way very unrelated to the former. It seems like new styles should have another option than being labeled under genre classifications that don't apply to them.

If BB King and Beyonce are both RnB, or if Coldplay and The Velvet Underground are both alternative, something has gone wrong with the genre system, no matter which artists you like and which you don't.

VU ain't alt, alt is stuff like R.E.M., The Lightning Seeds, Suede, The Ocean Blue, Pixies, etc etc. Alt is Indie pretty much.

VU is literally the root of the vast majority of alt rock that followed them. They, if no one else, match the label.

• Like 1

Seventies Judas Priest.

Wowowowowowowow!!!!

Mick

Mick

To get into British Steel, I had to put myself more in the mindset of listening to a fun, blood pumping, heavy pop rock album than a metal one. Everything about British Steel is trimmed of fat and frill. It’s just lean heavy riffs with head bobbing tempos and earworm hooks. It’s fun, not epic.

Priest is always better when they write stuff that's pure metal. That's why the 80s stuff is hit and miss. They are not a band that caters to their songwriting strengths when they're trying to please the masses. Some bands are better at writing stuff to please everyone. Priest is far and away much better when they don't.

Of the classic metal bands (Sabbath, Maiden, the big four, etc.) Priest was the last one I got into. That's because the radio hits never did anything for me. I didn't become a fan until Halford came back in 2004. A friend of mine said I should get the Metal Works compilation since that would give me a broader taste of what they had to offer. I became a fan after listening to that.

• Like 1