Alex Lifeson articles which especially appreciate his underrated abilities!

alieninvasion76

Thanks for posting the articles!

Heh heh, on the front page of the forum your article title was truncated to "Alex Lifeson articles which especially appreciate his und" and my brain filled in "erwear". :gumby: :LOL:

• Like 7

Heh heh, on the front page of the forum your article title was truncated to "Alex Lifeson articles which especially appreciate his und" and my brain filled in "erwear". :gumby: :LOL:

You were only hoping you perv! :drool:

Just between us, dont tell anyone but.....

Me too. ;)

• Like 1

Who? Me? :angel:

• Like 1

Hahahahahahahaha...

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

Weren't you the one who photoshopped Peart into the leather biker chaps?

Really a true artist that deserves recognition and teaches fans and other musicians to stay out of comfort zone and work, discover more about what one's music can do on instruments and inside oneselves.

"His creative, high-energy guitar playing with Rush, the hight-tech power trio from

Canada, utilizes a distinctive guitar sound comprising incendiary solos, textured

rythm work, and a tasteful use of electronic sound effects." --> That was enough for me. :clap:

• Like 1

Weren't you the one who photoshopped Peart into the leather biker chaps?

Who? Me? Would I do a thing like that?

Alex is not underrated, he is a genius in my mind. My first great hero on rock guitar. He has everything, fantastic technique, the best rock sound ever, the most versatile guitar player ever. For a 3 piece progressive rock band he made the sound bigger and better than any of the prog bands who had keyboard, end of!

He knew that he was working with 2 virtuosos on bass and drums so he just made the sound and the character of the band. I challenge anyone to listen to the "Hemispheres" first side and tell me that was not just guitar perfection and heavenly!!!!

Also listen to "The Trees"

When my father bought me a classical that was the first piece I learned back in 1980. So many kids now just pick up an electric guitar and learn power chords. They have no idea about right hand finger style or the intricate chord variations that Alex has mastered. He is and was my greatest influence.

I just want to ask anyone hear, just listen to that "MASSIVE" chordal intro at the start of Hemispheres. Alex achieved that with a wonderful blend of equipment. He used his white Gibson ES355 through his Hiwatt stack. The Hiwatts that he used had a slightly softer tone that the Marshall heads of the time. That allowed Alex to incorporate his wonderful array of sound effects without his sound getting too muddy. It was like he wanted to create a perfect clean yet amazingly powerful sound. Too many guitarists these days use way too much distortion and their playing and nuances are completely lost as a result. Alex used a Roland Space Echo analogue processor with Chorus. I think the swirling "Flanging" effect was created by a studio effect, I may be wrong.

But if you listen to that opening chord, an F sharp 7th suspended 4th. It was actually just an F sharp major with his first finger lifted off the bar on the second fret so that the open B and E strings rang out, it still sends shivers down my spine after all of these years. Happy to be slagged off and discuss with my fellow fans, old and ugly now and don't really care ha ha! The strange thing is when I was 14 I so wanted to be Alex and grew my hair and dreamed of getting an ES355, but now people have told me that I actually look like him now!!