Rush Songs About Summer

tony990

Hey everyone!

Every year I make summer playlist about songs that are relating to summer (I do the same with Christmas as well.) I tried to incorporate a few Rush songs into my playlist this year, but the only one I could think of relating to summer is Lakeside Park. Are there any other songs that are about summer that anyone knows of that are made by Rush?

By the way, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong category. I'm new here still, so I'm still getting used to things :)

Thanks!

On another note, maybe "Making Memories" from the Fly By Night album? It's more mellow than a lot of Rush, but it's a very pretty song and it has a "road trip" theme that might fit in with summer travels . . . Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

On another note, maybe "Making Memories" from the Fly By Night album? It's more mellow than a lot of Rush, but it's a very pretty song and it has a "road trip" theme that might fit in with summer travels . . .

I love that tune!! Especially during summer.

• Like 2

Jacob's Ladder is a summery song because it is about a thunder storm.

hardly

I saw more Thunder storms the summer I lived in Colorado than I have any other time in my life.

... mountains come out of the sky and they stand there

• Like 1

A Rush song that actually sounds summery to me is Early Distant Warning, but that's because of the global warming undertones. A hot, smoggy kind of summer. :LOL:
  • Like 2

Analog Kid definitely came to my mind but somebody beat me to it. Hmmm....

Rush did not create the next song that came to mind but they did do the song - Summer Time Blues??? Sort of touches on summer.

Time Stand Still also mentions summer ("Summers going fast").

• Like 3

hardly

Hardly about a thunder storm?

exactly

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/rfk7s.gif

In my lyrics I've drawn a lot of references from The Bible, because it's a very colorful source of images. And I grew up, not religious, but in a religious background, going to Sunday school and taking religious education in school and so on. So, all these things do suggest themselves as metaphors and "Jacob's Ladder" is a lovely phrase, those two words itself. And that's in fact what we started with, we looked at the song as being a 'cinemative' kind of exercise and before any lyrics were written we talked about the image of "Jacob's Ladder", of a cloudy sky coming on and then all of a sudden these beams of light, which, everybody sees and I have always found very inspiring sort of thing. We had that experience in common. So we created the music just out of that vision and that image and wrote the whole song around that. And then in retrospect I went back and wrote a couple of verses of lyrics just to depict the image a little more acute and also to bring the vocals in as an instrumental sound. -Neil Peart, 1980

hardly

I saw more Thunder storms the summer I lived in Colorado than I have any other time in my life.

... mountains come out of the sky and they stand there

:heart: :heart: :heart: Roundabout

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

I always thought Analog Kid had a summery vibe, despite the "autumn woods" and "winter skies" of the chorus.

Well it's set on "a hot and windy August afternoon", so it definitely does.

I'd go for Marathon and the "lightning that flashes and fades in the summer sky"...

• Like 3

hardly

exactly

In my lyrics I've drawn a lot of references from The Bible, because it's a very colorful source of images. And I grew up, not religious, but in a religious background, going to Sunday school and taking religious education in school and so on. So, all these things do suggest themselves as metaphors and "Jacob's Ladder" is a lovely phrase, those two words itself. And that's in fact what we started with, we looked at the song as being a 'cinemative' kind of exercise and before any lyrics were written we talked about the image of "Jacob's Ladder", of a cloudy sky coming on and then all of a sudden these beams of light, which, everybody sees and I have always found very inspiring sort of thing. We had that experience in common. So we created the music just out of that vision and that image and wrote the whole song around that. And then in retrospect I went back and wrote a couple of verses of lyrics just to depict the image a little more acute and also to bring the vocals in as an instrumental sound. -Neil Peart, 1980

And he never said it wasn't summer, or a thunder storm.

• Like 1

hardly

exactly

And he never said it wasn't summer, or a thunder storm.

Lol. You guys sound like me and DigitalMom.

• Like 1

Analog Kid I have to disagree with. To me it sounds more of a September song. Technically September is part of summer (mostly) but I don't really think of it being like a hot, summer day sort of song.

Distant Early Warning wouldn't make much sense to me, it's more of a winter song. "I see the tip of the iceburg..." just throws it off a bit, don't you think?

Also, Summertime Blues is not technically a Rush song. But since they did remake it (and to me made it better), I'll take it!

Edited by tony990
  • Like 1