What's the weather like right now?

jamie

Looks like the heat dome has broken up, we are at a lovely 79 degrees today. :biggrin:  Utah overall is still hot but the record shattering has abated for now.  We set records earlier this week with 102 on Sunday only to have 107 on Wednesday...never has been recorded this high in September!  Those temps are more July type.  We have been fortunate in not having as many large fires as California is suffering with.  However now that the heat dome has moved on, we are going to be inundated with smoke from fires from the Northwest.  Hoping it won't be as bad as last summer where everything looks hazy and orange.  Guess we will have to see, some rain maybe next week.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Looks like the heat dome has broken up, we are at a lovely 79 degrees today. :biggrin:  Utah overall is still hot but the record shattering has abated for now.  We set records earlier this week with 102 on Sunday only to have 107 on Wednesday...never has been recorded this high in September!  Those temps are more July type.  We have been fortunate in not having as many large fires as California is suffering with.  However now that the heat dome has moved on, we are going to be inundated with smoke from fires from the Northwest.  Hoping it won't be as bad as last summer where everything looks hazy and orange.  Guess we will have to see, some rain maybe next week.

Glad it is cooler! Yes, the temps this summer have been nuts. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Hope that helps some with the fires

Had one not too far away in Big Bear.  Visited a distant cousin of mother there for 4th of July in 2015.

Had to move my cat's water bowl under the roof of the front porch and wash and refill since rain got in the way.  I keep it out for her on the hot days since she mostly wants to be outside during the day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Had one not too far away in Big Bear.  Visited a distant cousin of mother there for 4th of July in 2015.

Had to move my cat's water bowl under the roof of the front porch and wash and refill since rain got in the way.  I keep it out for her on the hot days since she mostly wants to be outside during the day.

That's a good idea, they need lots of fresh water in this heat.  I have a stray that I take care of and fill her bowls (keep one on the porch and in the garage) with clean water each day.  C'mon rain, we need you!

• Like 3

The first feeder band of heavy rain sprouting from Hurricane Ian coming down now.  While we are not in direct path of the storm the rain is to be expected, and continuous.

3 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

The first feeder band of heavy rain sprouting from Hurricane Ian coming down now.  While we are not in direct path of the storm the rain is to be expected, and continuous.

Glad to hear you are ok!  My sister is in St. Pete, they had mandatory evacuation this evening. She's hoping east coast will be quieter, she and her two cats are on their way to a friend's in Cocoa Beach. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, blueschica said:

Glad to hear you are ok!  My sister is in St. Pete, they had mandatory evacuation this evening. She's hoping east coast will be quieter, she and her two cats are on their way to a friend's in Cocoa Beach. 

I have friends in Hudson, North of Clearwater, and they're battening down the hatches.  Prayers forallof them.

• Like 2

Had two radar sightings of tornadoes, one about five miles away, the other two miles.  No physical damage here, but a lot of rain.  The swale (grassy area between street and sidewalk) is completely flooded, but that's fairly common during a sustained period of rain.  If we have a few hours without rain, it will soak into the ground and disappear.  All good so far.

Edit:  Small airport about 1.5 miles west of me was hit, some 17 planes damaged, above ground fuel storage tanks knocked off supports, spilling aviation gas.  Apartment complex just North of airport has multiple trees down.  

Edited by pjbear05
Added info.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:45 PM, treeduck said:

Hurricane Ian sounds a bit like the hurricane is a bit of a nerd hurricane who's not very threatening.

Well that nerd got angry, it just hit Cuba with 125 mph winds!  Hope it slows a bit before hitting Florida :mellow:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Had two radar sightings of tornadoes, one about five miles away, the other two miles.  No physical damage here, but a lot of rain.  The swale (grassy area between street and sidewalk) is completely flooded, but that's fairly common during a sustained period of rain.  If we have a few hours without rain, it will soak into the ground and disappear.  All good so far.

Edit:  Small airport about 1.5 miles west of me was hit, some 17 planes damaged, above ground fuel storage tanks knocked off supports, spilling aviation gas.  Apartment complex just North of airport has multiple trees down.  

Hope this is the worst of it for you, take care!

• Like 1

Things much calmer now.  Water soaked into the ground, no flooding.  Some palm and tree branches down, but a lot fewer than expected.  Just need to cut things down enough to fit in the trash container (here yard waste and small branches are consiered garbage) and things will be cleaned up.  Dodged a bullet again!

• Like 2

Sending prayers to all of those in the world, and on this forum affected by adverse weather conditions. It's quite lame on the Prairie compared to other regions. We can kinda dig in an survive here,

even with our extremes. The weather here has turned favorable enough  to complete the harvest. 

It is quite dusty and hazy tonight. That being said, it reminds me of my childhood.  Grin.  Hang in there! I'm countin' my blessings! ... and giving thanks. Sending well wishes! Be safe.

• Like 2