Caress Of Steel Lithograph

apetersvt

Got an email today from the rush backstage club about ordering a COS lithograph. When I clicked on the link, I guess they were already all sold out. As COS is their best album, it certainly would look nice in my music room. Was wondering how much they were asking for?? I'm pretty sure I would have thought it was way too much anyways.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/caress-of-steel-artist-proof-litho-.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hughsteel

• Like 2

Got an email today from the rush backstage club about ordering a COS lithograph. When I clicked on the link, I guess they were already all sold out. As COS is their best album, it certainly would look nice in my music room. Was wondering how much they were asking for?? I'm pretty sure I would have thought it was way too much anyways.

https://www.rushback...paign=hughsteel

I looked at the email earlier this AM; I'm sorry, I had to run errands and didn't get to post it here. It was either $ 379.00 or $ 399.00, my mind :codger: is failing me . . . . Both prices were way out of my price range in any case! :o

I looked at the email earlier this AM; I'm sorry, I had to run errands and didn't get to post it here. It was either $ 379.00 or $ 399.00, my mind :codger: is failing me . . . . Both prices were way out of my price range in any case! :o

Thanks for the info. Anything over a 100 bucks would have been out of my price range. And being a limited edition framed item, there was little chance it would have been under 100 bucks.

Also agree with foghorn-leghorn in that it should have been colored.

• Like 1

Since the boys are retired. The Milk truck is making its rounds! If it was signed by all 3 then maybe I would have thought about it by Sorry but not HS for $379.99
  • Like 3

Yeah...think it's kind of lame that they're putting stuff like this out at enormous prices! Some of the earlier stuff was over the top, but now it's getting out of hand! AND the fact that people are probably buying this, THEN trying to make more on E-Bay or something is even worse! Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 2

That may be the funniest thing I've read all week.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree on this one. There might possibly be a cheaper signed edition and maybe an even cheaper unsigned or plate signed edition. This is an artist's proof of a lithograph of the original drawing that was incorporated into the cover art for COS. It was the first artwork Hugh created for the band. It's a framed numbered edition of only 40. It's not just a re-pop of the album cover in a nice frame. Of course it sold out instantly--eBay will definitely have these at around $800 to a grand I'd guess. It was $375, by the way, and no I didn't find out in time to get one. Money's butt-tight, anyway, but I'd even be tempted to turn around and flip one or two if I had the jump on this, especially since money's butt-tight. I'm tempted to sell off a lot of stuff at the moment.
  • Like 2

I respectfully disagree on this one. There might possibly be a cheaper signed edition and maybe an even cheaper unsigned or plate signed edition. This is an artist's proof of a lithograph of the original drawing that was incorporated into the cover art for COS. It was the first artwork Hugh created for the band. It's a framed numbered edition of only 40. It's not just a re-pop of the album cover in a nice frame. Of course it sold out instantly--eBay will definitely have these at around $800 to a grand I'd guess. It was $375, by the way, and no I didn't find out in time to get one. Money's butt-tight, anyway, but I'd even be tempted to turn around and flip one or two if I had the jump on this, especially since money's butt-tight. I'm tempted to sell off a lot of stuff at the moment.

I just wish it wasn't limited to 40. Should have made 2112 of them and made them half the price. Would have made more money and allowed more people to have it. The fact that there was only 40 made them too pricey and totally agree with your comment about having them ebay for insane prices. If I had one, I wouldn't care if it was an exclusive one of 40 or one of 2112. I would care if it were one of 40 if my intentions were to make a profit by reselling, but how could your resell something like this??

• Like 1

I just wish it wasn't limited to 40. Should have made 2112 of them and made them half the price. Would have made more money and allowed more people to have it. The fact that there was only 40 made them too pricey and totally agree with your comment about having them ebay for insane prices. If I had one, I wouldn't care if it was an exclusive one of 40 or one of 2112. I would care if it were one of 40 if my intentions were to make a profit by reselling, but how could your resell something like this??

Found out about this one way too late, myself. Tempting for sure but I'm definitely conflicted. Historically important? Absolutely! I love the album (though the cover isn't a favorite especially since the printer botched it) and the appealing thing for me is that Hugh signed it. If I found out in time, my limit for something like this would be about a $100.

I kind of get why it played out like this though. There really isn't much of a market for this outside of the rabid fanbase and I think it's a big risk to try and resell something that only a handful of people would be interested in to begin with. (I'm sure it plays well in Vegas though.)

Clearly the backstage club is doing this for the fans since it was very random and very limited and sold out before many could consider it. What's the revenue on this? $375X40? (plus whatever they make on shipping?) Hardly a windfall. Was this a market test for something less exclusive? I guess we will find out.

Glad someone else thinks so highly of Caress Of Steel!

A better album than Hemispheres. By a wide margin.

• Like 2

Found out about this one way too late, myself. Tempting for sure but I'm definitely conflicted. Historically important? Absolutely! I love the album (though the cover isn't a favorite especially since the printer botched it) and the appealing thing for me is that Hugh signed it. If I found out in time, my limit for something like this would be about a $100.

I kind of get why it played out like this though. There really isn't much of a market for this outside of the rabid fanbase and I think it's a big risk to try and resell something that only a handful of people would be interested in to begin with. (I'm sure it plays well in Vegas though.)

Clearly the backstage club is doing this for the fans since it was very random and very limited and sold out before many could consider it. What's the revenue on this? $375X40? (plus whatever they make on shipping?) Hardly a windfall. Was this a market test for something less exclusive? I guess we will find out.

I liked what they did last fall with the poster proofs for the R40 Forum poster; there were 500 that they put on sale and it was at a more reasonable price.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/s-l225.jpg

• Like 2

In my world, COS and Hemispheres have been co-number 1 albums for the last 15 years or so. Unless I'm really stoned, and then some Grateful Dead show from late 68 or early 69 might take the top spot.

• Like 1

I liked what they did last fall with the poster proofs for the R40 Forum poster; there were 500 that they put on sale and it was at a more reasonable price.

That's a completely different product--it's just a signed, numbered show poster rolled up in a tube, and it's a silk screen, not a framed and matted lithograph. A lot of bands are doing this, and a growing number of artists make names for themselves doing them. I have a way too large collection of show posters ranging from ones my band played to Soundgarden and mastodon. In fact one artist in particular who has done posters for shows I played at has done a ton of work for a ton of heavy rock bands that are current. Generally those run from $35 to $50 at original point of sale, and can go up from there on resale depending on how hot the artist is. since they aren't made in big numbers they can end up rare and desirable if the artist gets more famous.

• Like 2

That's a $29.99 special if I ever saw one.

If I read the image correctly, only 40 were printed.

ERA: Like others noted.

Edited by goose

That's a $29.99 special if I ever saw one.

Yeah...the "art-ing" up of things...limiting the output to "several" and jacking the price up is kind of a lame thing....and as I said before...the fact that someone with a quick hand is going to get two or three...keep one for themselves, and put the other ones up on E-Bay to recoup their losses is even lamer....(same with tickets, and the like...)(ok, off soapbox on that)

What's next...a "Geddy approved wine" with a Rush logo for $200.00? (ooops...maybe they'll use it)

• Like 1

That's a completely different product--it's just a signed, numbered show poster rolled up in a tube, and it's a silk screen, not a framed and matted lithograph. A lot of bands are doing this, and a growing number of artists make names for themselves doing them. I have a way too large collection of show posters ranging from ones my band played to Soundgarden and mastodon. In fact one artist in particular who has done posters for shows I played at has done a ton of work for a ton of heavy rock bands that are current. Generally those run from $35 to $50 at original point of sale, and can go up from there on resale depending on how hot the artist is. since they aren't made in big numbers they can end up rare and desirable if the artist gets more famous.

Interesting! Thank you for explaining the difference, and wow, a cool job for that artist who does the current band posters. :)

As much as I love CoS, folks always feel the need to take cheap shots at the prettiest girl in the school ;)

• Like 1

If Backstage wants to make money and keep a loyal fan/customer base happy, why don't they simply make their procurement decisions based on what has sold out over the years. So many times they have not replaced popular items, such as a really cool R40 key chain. Sold out fairly quickly. Was so much nicer than the one on there now. The online store has the feel of a flea market...not really much of an inventory choice for its army of loyal Rush fans. Tour books, posters, lithos, photos, there's gotta be cool stuff out there that would be popular?

Instead they sell some artificial limited print where they make 40 fans happy, and bring in a nice amount of cash but does nothing for them?

• Like 1