Does anyone use a battery powered lawn mower.

Aikenrooster

So yeah, my lawn mower is kind of old and instead of fixing it, I'm thinking about a new mower. I see these 40 volt battery powered mowers on Amazon and I'm seriously considering getting one. I have a nail gun, impact wrench, drill, and ratchet that run on battery power and they work great, but.....

....do batteries have enough torque to cut the tall weeds down? How long can the mower run between charges? Any pros or conspiracy that you can think of or a particular brand that you endorse?

I'm happy to read and thankful for all responses.

Happy with mine. It cuts a narrower swath, but it's super quiet and as long as you keep the blade sharp it does nice work.
  • Like 1

I've considered a battery powered mower too, but I have read that one charge last about 1/3 acre, which wouldn't really work for me ... I supposed you could buy a few batteries and keep them charged, but when I get going, I like to do the entire lawn in one shot ( 1.5 acres )

Toymaker, are the battery powered mowers heavy ?? .. I don't think there is a self propelled one

I've considered a battery powered mower too, but I have read that one charge last about 1/3 acre, which wouldn't really work for me ... I supposed you could buy a few batteries and keep them charged, but when I get going, I like to do the entire lawn in one shot ( 1.5 acres )

Toymaker, are the battery powered mowers heavy ?? .. I don't think there is a self propelled one

I just got a little feller, because we don't really have that much property. I can cut my back lawn and my front lawn and boulevard on one charge, usually. And I usually overlap my rows, so there's extra power being used right there.

My manly-man neighbor thought I was crazy for buying one, but after I had it for a couple of years I noticed he went and bought one too. Bigger, of course.

• Like 1

So yeah, my lawn mower is kind of old and instead of fixing it, I'm thinking about a new mower. I see these 40 volt battery powered mowers on Amazon and I'm seriously considering getting one. I have a nail gun, impact wrench, drill, and ratchet that run on battery power and they work great, but.....

....do batteries have enough torque to cut the tall weeds down? How long can the mower run between charges? Any pros or conspiracy that you can think of or a particular brand that you endorse?

I'm happy to read and thankful for all responses.

Never used one before, but that's not stopping me from providing my half-assed opinion. ;)

I had to replace my trim mower this year. The battery powered ones were really expensive compared to the $150 Walmart cheapy. If you have a small enough lawn and really want to go green (and cheap), the old fashioned non-powered push mowers with the spinning blades of death are still available. I went with the $150 Walmart special...it does the job.

Here are the questions I would research when considering a battery-powered mower:

Is a good battery-powered mower much more expensive than a gas one?

Does it come with just one battery? I'd want at least two, maybe more if I had a lot of property, so how much do the batteries cost?

How many charge cycles does a battery have in its lifespan before it would need replacing?

Will I be spending a helluva lot more money to buy and use a batt mower than a gas one?

Is owning a "green" mower that doesn't use fossil fuels more important than cost?

Are all these questions tempting me to light my lawn on fire?

• Like 3

Back in the '70s and through the '90s Snapper brand....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Cool%20Retro%20Stuff/70s%20Snapper%20lawn%20mower%20ad.jpg

• Like 1

Here are the questions I would research when considering a battery-powered mower:

Does it come with just one battery? I'd want at least two, maybe more if I had a lot of property, so how much do the batteries cost?

How many charge cycles does a battery have in its lifespan before it would need replacing?

Will I be spending a helluva lot more money to buy and use a batt mower than a gas one?

Is owning a "green" mower that doesn't use fossil fuels more important than cost?

I sell these. A good battery powered stihl mower goes for $750 with two batters and a charger, your batters will last roughly one hour.and should last 1000 + charges. And the mower is light enough that you can pick them up with one hand to move them around.

Once you buy the batteries and mower, you are set for life, no need for fuel or oil for your saw. And Stihl also makes Weedeaters, and hedge trimmers, and leaf blowers that use the same battery.

Edited by Cygnus 2112
  • Like 3

One thing - if you get a battery powered machine, avoid self propelled ones unless you want a very uneven cut. Battery having to drive the blade and wheels will change the blade speed.

I should mention that I was talking electric START, not with a cord I had to drag all over the yard....

I've had one with the cord for a few years and I really like it. Depending on where your outlet is might make it more less annoying but it never really bothered me much.

I had a friend that tried the scorched Earth approach after letting his property go uncut while debating on what new mower to buy. Needless to say about 2-3 minutes after lighting the yard his beer buzz disappeared as he relized that mabe he has not thought through the situation. He also realized how ineffective one garden hose can be against a substantial yard a blaze. Lucky for him the neighbors were home and help pool resources (garden hoses) and no property was lost. He is a legend in his neighborhood to this day.

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 3

I had a friend that tried the scorched Earth approach after letting his property go uncut while debating on what new mower to buy. Needless to say about 2-3 minutes after lighting the yard his beer buzz disappeared as he relized that mabe he has not thought through the situation. He also realized how ineffective one garden hose can be against a substantial yard a blaze. Lucky for him the neighbors were home and help pool resources (garden hoses) and no property was lost. He is a legend in his neighborhood to this day.

:o :facepalm: Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad that no one was hurt (at least it sounds that way)!

• Like 1

:o :facepalm: Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad that no one was hurt (at least it sounds that way)!

No one hurt no property damage but the smell of fire lingered for some time!

• Like 1

No one hurt no property damage but the smell of fire lingered for some time!

I can imagine! Gosh, what a wild idea he had :o

In a situation like this, everyone could take a hint from The Boy Scouts organization. BE PREPARED!!! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Characters/boyscout.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan

In a situation like this, everyone could take a hint from The Boy Scouts organization. BE PREPARED!!! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Characters/boyscout.gif

Or don't play with matches when you're hammered :P

• Like 2

Or don't play with matches when you're hammered :P

I believe thathttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Characters/Smokey%20The%20Bear.jpg is Smokey's area!

This looks like the one I have. Pretty cheap, but does a decent job.

http://www.walmart.c...-Mower/22471680

Does this thing use batteries? If so how much are they?

The battery's the thing in the middle with the handle. Mine came with one battery and I haven't replaced it yet. Of course, where I live, there's only about 3 or 4 months of grass cutting required every year anyway.

How do you keep the blade sharp?

I take the blade to my father-in-law and say "can you sharpen this?" . . . I assume he has some kind of spinning thing he holds the blade against.