2 lane bus in China to allow cars to drive underneath...

Lost In Xanadu

http://fortune.com/2016/05/29/two-lane-straddle-bus-china/

A possible answer to serious congestion issues—if it works.

After several years in limbo, one of the most odd and ambitious attempts to address China’s urban pollution and congestion problems is showing signs of life. The so-called “straddling bus,” the brainchild of designer Youzhou Song, would arc over two lanes of traffic, carrying up to 1200 passengers while leaving smaller vehicles free to drive underneath it.

The concept—officially known as the Transit Elevated Bus—was showcased last weekend at the 19th China Beijing International High-Tech Expo, and Xinhua News reports that a demo bus is under construction, to begin testing in Quinhuangdao City this summer.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

A very creative idea......but pretty scary, too!!

http://www.travelandtourworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/straddling-bus.jpeg

• Like 2

http://fortune.com/2...ddle-bus-china/

A possible answer to serious congestion issues—if it works.

After several years in limbo, one of the most odd and ambitious attempts to address China’s urban pollution and congestion problems is showing signs of life. The so-called “straddling bus,” the brainchild of designer Youzhou Song, would arc over two lanes of traffic, carrying up to 1200 passengers while leaving smaller vehicles free to drive underneath it.

The concept—officially known as the Transit Elevated Bus—was showcased last weekend at the 19th China Beijing International High-Tech Expo, and Xinhua News reports that a demo bus is under construction, to begin testing in Quinhuangdao City this summer.

I've straddled on buses for many decades now. Edited by snowdogged

LIke China has blue water and green trees near highways.....

That is some FAKE futuristic thinking

• Like 1

What could possibly go wrong? :LOL:

This doesn't address pollution...though I guess it might help traffic congestion.

Actually it does address pollution by taking many buses off the roads. Remember, it can carry 1200 people.

• Like 1

What could possibly go wrong? :LOL:

This doesn't address pollution...though I guess it might help traffic congestion.

Actually it does address pollution by taking many buses off the roads. Remember, it can carry 1200 people.

You're right IF that's actually how it'd go down. However, it's hard for me to imagine Beijing (especially) doing something for the benefit of the environment. It's a dirty, smoggy city that's apparently gotten even dirtier than the last time I visited about 10 years ago. It's as simple as more cars being bought in the last 10 years....but they're not suddenly going to become environmentally conscious. I'm thinking along the lines of what Disembodied Spirit said a la "fake futuristic thinking".

• Like 1

I will admit it is an interesting concept. However here is one possible dilemma; What if the bus was on a predetermined left or right turn at a 4 way intersection and a car (or cars) that was being straddled wanted to travel straight?

It has to, and it knows it. China are more than capable of implementing this system.

The Government would not have allowed it to be revealed otherwise.

I disagree with parts of this.

"Capable", yeah you're probably right.

"has to" and "knows it" doesn't mean they'll actually complete it.

As for the government revealing it, there's no reason to hide it. And revealing plans/ideas that make your nation LOOK innovative is something some nations are interested in...even if the plans/ideas eventually don't come to fruition.