Graduation decorum

Lost In Xanadu

Before they start announcing names, the speaker clearly states "we have a lot of names to get thru, please hold your applause to the end."

A dozen or so names are read, all obey the speaker's request. Then one name is read and a couple people scream like crazy... repeat.

Not only can it make the ceremony quite a bit longer, but often the people reading the names don't wait and you miss hearing a name or two. Sucks for those families.

Was the kid not expected to graduate and you couldn't help screaming? Is it simply the "me society"?

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it and just start yelling at kids to stay off my lawn :)

• Like 5

It's a 'me' society. Selfish assholes, really. That's how I see it. Edit: disrespectful too. Edited by grep
  • Like 5

Before they start announcing names, the speaker clearly states "we have a lot of names to get thru, please hold your applause to the end."

A dozen or so names are read, all obey the speaker's request. Then one name is read and a couple people scream like crazy... repeat.

Not only can it make the ceremony quite a bit longer, but often the people reading the names don't wait and you miss hearing a name or two. Sucks for those families.

Was the kid not expected to graduate and you couldn't help screaming? Is it simply the "me society"?

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it and just start yelling at kids to stay off my lawn :)

It's a 'me' society. Selfish assholes, really. That's how I see it. Edit: disrespectful too.

If I were there, you'd hear this on the P.A.: "I have a 'silencer' and Scope on my rifle. I have a clear view of this whole area. The next asshole that applauds or screams wildly, gets a bullet in the skull. 'Nuff said?" http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/bananaJackson.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan

Yeah, I was really surprised at this at the first outdoor graduation we went to in our town. A few people even had those little New Year's party horns. Bad behavior model for everyone.

• Like 1

I've been noticing that for years now. Actually, since I first came out here 25 years ago. I was waxing a floor and put a sign out: Floor is wet - do not walk on it. - and then watched several people proceed to read the sign and walk on the floor.

It seems to me that many today think signs and laws and instructions are meant for everyone else but them.

• Like 1

My recent graduation included someone yelling "asshole!" when the governor's presence was announced

There's a time and a place for everything, and a graduation ceremony is neither one to vent your political views.

• Like 4

My recent graduation included someone yelling "asshole!" when the governor's presence was announced

There's a time and a place for everything, and a graduation ceremony is neither one to vent your political views.

Agreed. I'm thinking a couple hundred children learned a new word that day.

• Like 2

That bothers me as well. Either they're too stupid to know why you don't do that or they're such a-holes that they don't care. Either way, they have serious issues.

There are some impolited people who don't know how to behave on these occasions. Being courteous is out of fashion for some people.

Unfortunately indelicate.

Although there are others who know what to do and when, inside a situation or out of it, on the right moment express themselves.

Agreed. I'm thinking a couple hundred children learned a new word that day.

Worse: I bet all of those children knew the word already.

• Like 1