Mike Portnoy - WTF is he doing???????????

Why? What's the problem? Are we offended that Mike stepped in to help out some of his local buddies from the NY Club Scene?

As a guy from NY who loves both TS and DT, it was a great show last year in NJ seeing Mike with Twisted, and do AJ proud.

I wish they were coming here.

• Like 1

He's allowed to have other musical tastes other than progressive metal for chrissakes.

No doubt he is having a blast doing this

• Like 1

He has so many bands and projects going on that I get to see him live once a year - sometimes more than that. And everytime I see him he seems happier than before. I saw him last week with The Winery Dogs and they nailed it!!!!
  • Like 2

He's allowed to have other musical tastes other than progressive metal for chrissakes.

YAAAASSSS

• Like 1

And people think I'm narrow minded....

YAAAASSSS

I shouldn't worry to much about Portnoy.

Apparently he's made an album with his chum Neal Morse,and its a concept double record and I quote " … it's a combination of Tommy meets The Wall! It's the best music I've ever been involved in!" No pressure there then!

• Like 2

I shouldn't worry to much about Portnoy.

Apparently he's made an album with his chum Neal Morse,and its a concept double record and I quote " … it's a combination of Tommy meets The Wall! It's the best music I've ever been involved in!" No pressure there then!

This oughta' be good then. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I'm sorry,and I've tried so hard not to harp on this issue....but I'm still not over this. I hate this attitude. I hate this attitude that everything has to be "perfect" and "the absolute best" or "the pinnacle of a person's ability" Guess what, Rock n' Roll doesn't always have to be perfect. It doesn't always have to be "the best" the most important thing is that it f***ing rocks and makes you want to dance or bang your head and just overall makes you feel awesome. Is Twisted Sister better than Rush musically? f**k. NO. but does it really matter in the long run? The same answer as before, f**k NO.
  • Like 2

In 06 I went to see Sammy Hagar with Michael Anthony. Last minute thing, a buddy gave me a ticket.

I had the time of my life. It was such a fun show.

Over the years of listening to all the serious prog music i'm into, I lost sight of the fact that rock music is supposed to be FUN. Twisted Sister is heavy, but FUN.

There's room for all of it.

• Like 2

Who cares who he plays with? He's a musician and they go where they can get paid. Not everyone is so fortunate to be in a band that has the same members 40+ years on.
  • Like 3

Who cares who he plays with? He's a musician and they go where they can get paid. Not everyone is so fortunate to be in a band that has the same members 40+ years on.

Agreed and to sort of expand on that notion, bands sometimes part with members for reasons other than not getting along anymore or not wanting to be in the band anymore cause they're burnt out, spend time with family, get a steady day job if it's not a huge act, or whatever i.e. musical differences, wanting to explore doing other things musically, etc. Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

Wow, I sure got my ass kicked on this one!!

I would STILL like to see Mike playing something other than 3 chord kiddie pop.

Then check out his work with the other 7567865 bands he plays with. Have you heard his work with a prog band called Bigelf? They sound retro and innovative at the same time...Portnoy got them to open for DT (I think this was in the Black Clouds tour) and has played on a couple of tours and one album with them.

Hey, I got a challenge for you, can you actually talk about it without talking down to it?

• Like 1

Hey, I got a challenge for you, can you actually talk about it without talking down to it?

Dude...let it go...he meant no harm...

Agreed and to sort of expand on that notion, bands sometimes part with members for reasons other than not getting along anymore or not wanting to be in the band anymore cause they're burnt out, spend time with family, get a steady day job if it's not a huge act, or whatever i.e. musical differences, wanting to explore doing other things musically, etc.

That's true. For the most part, most musicians rock or otherwise don't spend their careers playing with the same people. I'm sure boredom has something to do with it as well.

My sincere apologies. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion or a point of view.

I'll never do it again.

Now kiss my ass.

• Like 2

My sincere apologies. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have an opinion or a point of view.

I'll never do it again.

Now kiss my ass.

He might just do that tee hee

No doubt he is having a blast doing this

It's not just that. TS apparently had treated the early DT well (I guess the Majesty days). I think this is Mike's way of paying them back, and also honoring AJ. Also, he did do a similar thing to help out the young A7 a few years back. Mike's a good guy, as I understand it. I don't just hear that through the press, I hear it through the local musician's 'grapevine too'. High opinion of him amongst other local guys.

• Like 1

I'll never do it again.

Now kiss my ass.

No one is telling you that you can't have your own opinions on things, I just don't think its necessary to just shit all over things you don't like for no reason. You have your own reasons for disliking Twisted Sister, and I have my own reasons for disliking the stuff that I dont like, but I'm not going to go out of my way to just shit on the fans of things I don't like just because I feel like it.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 3

Has this become another insert fraroc vs. insert TRF member thread? Cause if it is, then I'm out of here. I can speak for myself by saying that I was just trying to make light/fun of the OP's original post here. He's entitled to his own opinion, regardless of how we feel and as far as I know, TBR wasn't even shitting on Twisted Sister fans, just the music and the fact that Portnoy's playing in a band that's (and reasonably so) "basic" compared to the projects he was previously/current is in.

Edited by PolarizeMe