Mike Portnoy - WTF is he doing???????????

I ended up on Mike's website the other day, after a minor bit of surfing. It has listed his upcoming tour dates and he is doing a pile of shows with... Twisted Sister. That's not a typo.

Why would one of the world's top rock drummers play with one of the most basic, simplistic, kiddie pop bands that hasn't had a record in over 25 years? First, TS does NOT need a drummer of Mike's calibre, and second, Mike is looking like a has-been drummer desperate for work. A has-been drummer is NOT Mike Portnoy. He is an incredible drummer.

Mike P playing in Twisted Sister is like Neil Peart Playing in AC / DC. Or, like Bill Bruford playing in Poison. Or, like Carl Palmer playing in Bon Jovi. Or, like Tony Royster Jr. playing in Kaye West's band. Oh, wait, he already did that. Sorry.

I wish Mike would put together a new progressive rock band and stick with it.

Me, scratching my head on this one.

He obviously has more diverse taste than many of his fans...

Good on him! He seems to be having the time of his life working on various projects!

• Like 11

Thunder Bay Rush is not gonna take it!

Poor man...haha!

• Like 1

When a kid first picks up an instrument, it's fun .. esp with drums, guitar, or bass

Why is it something negative if, after decades of playing, that musician wants to still have fun ??

I hope the original post was done tongue-in-cheek

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

When a kid fist picks up an instrument, it's fun .. esp with drums, guitar, or bass

Why is it something negative if, after decades of playing, that musician wants to still have fun ??

I hope the original post was done tongue-in-cheek

Exactly.

Which is why I enjoy everything from Opeth to Mahavishnu Orchestra to Fifth Harmony to Stravinsky.

Some days you want to be serious...other days you want only fun...some days you want to be smart...others you want to be dumb.

Portnoy's recent career path is proving far more interesting than that of Dream Theater. He really seems to be having a lot of fun!

• Like 5

Mike Portnoy is doing whatever the F**k he wants. cause he can.

He's a musician playing music regaurdless if it's in a band that makes you angry.

rock on Mike.

Just stay away from bands I like dammit :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 6

I see no issue with it...he wants to do it, he thinks it's fun. This is what he's been all about since touring with Avenged Sevenfold after their drummer died - probably a huge factor in why he left DT.

Nothing wrong here!

• Like 1

Maybe he gets tired of playing all those technical drum parts all the time and just wants to have fun playing some easy basic rock with a band he probably grew up loving. That would be my guess as to why he's doing this. As a huge fan of Dream Theater and what he did with them, I don't have an issue with this.
  • Like 3

Chicks man...chicks. Gotta be mad MILF on this tour.

Yes but are they actually chicks at that point? Shiksas maybe...

eaf63de8cbc25ce80be6327655dd4fe3.jpg

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix/387_rrrrr_1.jpg

• Like 3

Why? What's the problem? Are we offended that Mike stepped in to help out some of his local buddies from the NY Club Scene?

As a guy from NY who loves both TS and DT, it was a great show last year in NJ seeing Mike with Twisted, and do AJ proud.

• Like 1