My Favorite Headache Rush tribute band

YYZumbi

I am not a big fan of Rush cover bands, but I must say Im kinda impressed with the singer in this cover band called My Favorite Headache.

• Like 3

Nothing against this particular band, but I feel that tribute bands are the antithesis of what music is all about, and what drove the original artists to create the songs in the first place ..

This includes what Gene and Paul have been doing for the past decade

• Like 1

That singer's name is Frank Marino (no, not kidding). He's a pretty good friend of my wife's, and we've seen them a few times.

Lotus Land is far and away the best out there.

No question about that, with kRush a very close second...

Nothing against this particular band, but I feel that tribute bands are the antithesis of what music is all about, and what drove the original artists to create the songs in the first place ..

I would like to see you elaborate on that thought, Lucas. :)

It's interesting because many bands, including Rush, started out by covering songs of bands that influenced them, but I imagine that there's a difference, in intention, between a band that does covers and a tribute band

It's interesting because many bands, including Rush, started out by covering songs of bands that influenced them, but I imagine that there's a difference, in intention, between a band that does covers and a tribute band

How many headaches have you had in your life so far??

a few, but i can't name any favorites

• Like 1

a few, but i can't name any favorites

I can't name any at all because I've never had one. I'm not even sure they exist. To me headaches are like Bigfoot, UFO's, Vampires and Werewolves. I mean they might be out there but I've yet to experience them.

I find that music is simply a voice or a language - and the instruments are tools for the artist .. It is really no different than a vocabulary for an author or poet .. But with music, learning to play the instrument is one aspect that is very different than the ability or capability to write songs -- self expression, and connecting experiences or emotions with people that you don't know - with the song being the bond .. That is a very intimate thing IMHO

Think of iconic photographs - like the photo of Phan Thi Kim Phuc - the Vietnamese girl running down the road naked during the Vietnam War after being burned .. That photo captures something that cannot be duplicated ..

If there was an attempt to recreate that photograph - a "tribute" - would it have any of the same impact or meaning ?

I realize that is a reach as an example - but for me, tribute bands have nothing of interest ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I find that music is simply a voice or a language - and the instruments are tools for the artist .. It is really no different than a vocabulary for an author or poet .. But with music, learning to play the instrument is one aspect that is very different than the ability or capability to write songs -- self expression, and connecting experiences or emotions with people that you don't know - with the song being the bond .. That is a very intimate thing IMHO

Think of iconic photographs - like the photo of Phan Thi Kim Phuc - the Vietnamese girl running down the road naked during the Vietnam War after being burned .. That photo captures something that cannot be duplicated ..

If there was an attempt to recreate that photograph - a "tribute" - would it have any of the same impact or meaning ?

I realize that is a reach as an example - but for me, tribute bands have nothing of interest ..

Is this like...a forum discussion?

It depends. Some people or bands get it and some don't.

For example:

I've seen a bunch of "School Of Rock" concerts (including some Rush) and some kids get the spirit of the song and some just play the notes.

Same with tribute bands. Some Rush tributes are in the vibe and some just play the notes off of the album.

I like the ones that capture the spirit or the vibe of what they are playing while others don't. It's a wonderful thing when a musician or a band "get it''

In my experience, that happens less than you would think,

• Like 1