Bubba Gram #6

HalfwayToGone

No doubt, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes it's hard to believe that this is a Rush fan site.

Holy shit.

go look at the gush thread, there are rush fans in there!

Some folks just like to focus on the negative here. ;) Always looking for the worst threads and passing over the gushy ones. :cool:

• Like 1

When I became a Rush fan, Neil was a 25 year old rock god drummer who had just put out what some consider the greatest album of all time ( A Farewell To Kings ) and I was in the 5th grade ..

So today, even though Neil is still 14 years older than me, I no longer feel that age gap ..

When Neil writes about things we all do and experience - things that have nothing to do with what brought us to be fans in the first place - why should it be commentary of any sort of our dedication or love for the band and the music ??

It is also unrealistic for performers who have been around for this long, and have had fans grow up with them, to expect to be above any type criticism ..

None of this changes my love for Cygnus X1

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

GUSH AND RUSH DON'T MIX!! THEY JUST RHYME!!!

NEIL PISSES ME OFF BUT WHO GIVES A SHIT!

HE SHOULD BE AT HOME WITH HIS DAUGHTER!!

f**k HIM!

"You say, 'Son, let's forget the past,

I want another chance, gonna make it last.'

You're begging me for a brand new start,

trying to mend a bridge that's been blown apart,

but you know...you never built it dad."

GUSH AND RUSH DON'T MIX!! THEY JUST RHYME!!!

NEIL PISSES ME OFF BUT WHO GIVES A SHIT!

HE SHOULD BE AT HOME WITH HIS DAUGHTER!!

f**k HIM!

Relax. These Bubba Grams were written during the R40 tour. They will all be in the book he's putting out this fall. He probably is home with his daughter more often than not. And since he's not punching a clock, he probably can do a lot more dad time than most dads.

• Like 1

No but someone putting out an autobiography e.g. is a bit different than what Neil is doing with his travelogues. It would be interesting if he actually did put out one.

Only to an extent. The main difference is Neil is being very selective. He's also stretching it out over a lot of books. But every rockstar autobiog. I read has at least one "we were driving through the English countryside at 3am going 96mph in a vw minibus tripping on mandies with all our gear piled in the back, and suddenly..." Most of them have a fair number of stories about the actual car or van rides in the early days. Travel is built into the whole rockstar job. It's just that Neil isn't the sort of rockstar who gets in fistfights with jealous boyfriends, or has crazy orgies with 20 groupies on his bus, or does 5 grams of coke and 2 bottles of jack and then crashes his Porsche in the middle of Times Square. He's just a little too smart for that crap.

Nothing against the guy really, but he is a shockingly bad writer.....

Shockingly bad? I'd love to see your work. Heaven forbid he has interests outside music. Ever notice that really bright people are interested in a lot of things? Being famous helps getting one's work noticed, but being famous for something else doesn't make your work less worthy. And no, I'm not a fanboi.

I couldn't give a flying f**k what he is interested in...I think his writing stinks and am perfectly at liberty to say so. I find it tediously boring and stilted and this has nothing to do with him being a member of Rush.

Also, I'm not trying to sell my work in the public arena, so my writing skills are a moot point.

I'm not interested either whether you are a fanboi or not...knock yourself out.

You're missing the point. Many people ARE interested in his adventures and hobbies, and because he's famous and has some money it's easier to make one's work available. Good for him. That's the way it is.

The point I was making is he wouldn't be selling any books at all if he wasn't the drummer from RUSH. The publishers know a lot of his fans will buy his stuff therefore he gets a contract.

this is exactly right. he's a f***ing terrible writer and absolutely no one would pay for his writing if he wasn't the drummer of rush.

Even if he was a talented writer the odds of him getting published would be slim if he was unknown, but being in a successful rock band with a loyal fan base guarantees that he gets published. He could probably send them his used toilet paper and get it in print.

Agree regarding his work being published. But it's anything but prattle.

PRATTle. That's funny right there.

When I became a Rush fan, Neil was a 25 year old rock god drummer who had just put out what some consider the greatest album of all time ( A Farewell To Kings ) and I was in the 5th grade ..

So today, even though Neil is still 14 years older than me, I no longer feel that age gap ..

When Neil writes about things we all do and experience - things that have nothing to do with what brought us to be fans in the first place - why should it be commentary of any sort of our dedication or love for the band and the music ??

It is also unrealistic for performers who have been around for this long, and have had fans grow up with them, to expect to be above any type criticism ..

None of this changes my love for Cygnus X1

You're 50 years old? :o

Edited by Lorraine