Bubba Gram #6

HalfwayToGone

Nothing against the guy really, but he is a shockingly bad writer.....

Shockingly bad? I'd love to see your work. Heaven forbid he has interests outside music. Ever notice that really bright people are interested in a lot of things? Being famous helps getting one's work noticed, but being famous for something else doesn't make your work less worthy. And no, I'm not a fanboi.

I couldn't give a flying f**k what he is interested in...I think his writing stinks and am perfectly at liberty to say so. I find it tediously boring and stilted and this has nothing to do with him being a member of Rush.

Also, I'm not trying to sell my work in the public arena, so my writing skills are a moot point.

I'm not interested either whether you are a fanboi or not...knock yourself out.

You're missing the point. Many people ARE interested in his adventures and hobbies, and because he's famous and has some money it's easier to make one's work available. Good for him. That's the way it is.

So because you think "good for him" the man and his work are beyond criticism?......give me a break.

In no way do I think he's beyond criticism. But to see posts that write "terrible" and "shockingly bad" are wholly without merit. One can see the level of care (allusions, appropriate quotations as examples) and detail (wildlife and geography as examples) he puts into them - even if they're not universally loved.

Don't mistake an anally-retentive attention to detail as a substitute for an ability to write exciting, entertaining prose. At the end of the day it's all subjective...I think he's a bad writer, you don't...it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother you.

He's writing about what went on in between shows during the R40 tour. If you're not interested in that outside the venue stuff, that's your business. Don't begrudge Rush fans for being curious about what goes on with the drummer when he isn't drumming. WTF pissed in your Cheerios? If Geddy or Alex wrote a book would you rip the shit out of it for not being a literary masterpiece? I can understand ripping the fiction novels (which Neil didn't actually write), but this is basically a road journal. What'd ya expect?

You make the mistake of thinking I am somehow upset by this, hence the pissing in "cheerios" (whatever they are) comment..

I think he's a bad writer, end of story...I couldn't care less whether other "Rush fans" (as if we were a tribe lol) are interested or not, this is just discussion.

• Like 1

I think we should give Michael Crichton or Stephen King or whoever you lot think is a good writer and give them a record contract to make shockingly bad music. It would only be fair to level the scales.

Well then, here you go -- The Rock Bottom Remainders:

That's Amy Tan and Barbara Kingsolver on stage in frame with SK. But you're also hearing Mitch Albon, Dave Barry, and a bunch of others. And for the record, my attention for this music is a lot longer than it is for reading Bubbagrams.

Edited by Ron2112

I think Neil needs an audience more than he'd ever care to admit

But over time, as he aged and lost some of his chutzpah, I think he began pulling the other way - forcing the issue as he became overly judgmental, opinionated and far less eloquent ..

This exactly sums it up. The irony -- and it's really not clear to me that Neil gets this -- is that while he comes across as DYING to have an existence outside of Rush, it's really only the hardest of hardcore fans who are going to take the time to read these writings.

• Like 3

I've always found his writing to be representative of an alternate persona, him in his "writers" head.

Or, put another way, he's a much nicer guy in writing.

Nicer than what? He's at least as judgmental as the people he rails about for being judgmental.

Well, I was thinking about how he's made the point over and over again about his shyness, not into adulation and fans, etc., but choosing writing as a more comfortable venue to communicate, all that.

Neil is an AWFUL writer. His idea of a book consists of complaining about fat/religious people, and recounting the wonders of Brutus.
  • Like 5

Neil is an AWFUL writer. His idea of a book consists of complaining about fat/religious people, and recounting the wonders of Brutus.

How about that bit in his book, where he was making fun of the middle aged singles group for being on a bus and wearing 'f***ing nametags' . That's the only thing I remember from that boring thing. Can't even recall the name. It was the book about his travels after his girls passed.

• Like 2

I think we should give Michael Crichton or Stephen King or whoever you lot think is a good writer and give them a record contract to make shockingly bad music. It would only be fair to level the scales.

Actually it is a little known fact the Stephen King was/is in a band with other authors. They call themselves The Rock Bottom Remainders.

:D

ETA: oops, should have read the whole thread before posting. Someone beat me to it. ;)

Edited by catherine

I hesitate to add more, as Neil, and what he brought to an all time favorite band, holds a very special place with me ..

In this discussion, Neil's drumming skills have been mentioned as far as what he brought to Rush, and what he is known for .. But Neil was the primary lyricist, and he did that for 40 years - so unlike taking an author and sitting them behind a drum kit for the first time, Neil has a good amount of experience putting pen to paper and getting out his views, observations, or just simply creating with words ..

The problem, for me, is the same as has been for over 25 years - Neil has no interest in bringing the reader into the writing, as he focuses so much on just telling us The World According To Neil

I hesitate to add more, as Neil, and what he brought to an all time favorite band, holds a very special place with me ..

In this discussion, Neil's drumming skills have been mentioned as far as what he brought to Rush, and what he is known for .. But Neil was the primary lyricist, and he did that for 40 years - so unlike taking an author and sitting them behind a drum kit for the first time, Neil has a good amount of experience putting pen to paper and getting out his views, observations, or just simply creating with words ..

The problem, for me, is the same as has been for over 25 years - Neil has no interest in bringing the reader into the writing, as he focuses so much on just telling us The World According To Neil

Yes I agree with that. I've read all of his books and even though I enjoyed his observations I never really felt a part of the narrative in any way. It's like reading a text book,

• Like 3

Wonder if he introduces himself as a retired drummer when he meets new people.Or only his kid does that

He introduces himself as Neil Patrick Brutus.....everyone knows that

No doubt, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes it's hard to believe that this is a Rush fan site.

Holy shit.

• Like 1

No doubt, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but sometimes it's hard to believe that this is a Rush fan site.

Holy shit.

Define TrueRushFan...

• Like 3

You make the mistake of thinking I am somehow upset by this, hence the pissing in "cheerios" (whatever they are) comment..

I think he's a bad writer, end of story...I couldn't care less whether other "Rush fans" (as if we were a tribe lol) are interested or not, this is just discussion.

I'm not saying he's a good writer. I'm saying he put out a book as a rockstar who also happens to write song lyrics, not as the next great Canadian Earnest Hemmingway. My post wasn't directly to you, it was to everyone in general whining about Neil ad nauseum about everything, including the fact that his books aren't some great achievement in the history of literature. Guys a drummer. Cut him some f'n slack. He's not advertising his book as the next great literary masterpiece of humanity. Stop complaing that he isn't as good as Stephen King. He isn't trying to be Stephen King. Books are not the same as musical recordings. Most people these days are required to write an essay or paper at some point in their life, but most people aren't ever required to perform music. So many more books are made than music recordings, and for hundreds of more specialized purposes. I might read a textbook that makes it easy to learn math, but I'm not going to rip the author for not being an exciting enough writer, especially if I hate math and find it the most boring subject on earth.

Holy shit.

I can like a guys lyrics and music, and disagree somewhat with other things he does. He's a musician, not a deity.

I'm as big a fan as any of ya. Hardcore for 35 years.... but yeah, sometimes I don't like the stuff the guy writes.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

I'm not saying he's a good writer. I'm saying he put out a book as a rockstar who also happens to write song lyrics, not as the next great Canadian Earnest Hemmingway. My post wasn't directly to you, it was to everyone in general whining about Neil ad nauseum about everything, including the fact that his books aren't some great achievement in the history of literature. Guys a drummer. Cut him some f'n slack. He's not advertising his book as the next great literary masterpiece of humanity. Stop complaing that he isn't as good as Stephen King. He isn't trying to be Stephen King. Books are not the same as musical recordings. Most people these days are required to write an essay or paper at some point in their life, but most people aren't ever required to perform music. So many more books are made than music recordings, and for hundreds of more specialized purposes. I might read a textbook that makes it easy to learn math, but I'm not going to rip the author for not being an exciting enough writer, especially if I hate math and find it the most boring subject on earth.

I'm not whining...I genuinely don't care whether he writes books or not... I tried to read a couple of his works and found his writing to be dull....The fact is, his books are in the public domain and therefore not immune from criticism, so I'm not really sure why you feel the need to defend him.I don't care how good he's TRYING to be, I think he's rubbish.

Yes I agree with that. I've read all of his books and even though I enjoyed his observations I never really felt a part of the narrative in any way. It's like reading a text book,

That's sort of what I'm getting at. These books aren't intended as anything other than reporting. The world according to Neil is exactly right. That's what you're buying. If you're expecting anything else, then you're just unrealistic in your expectations. It's no different than any celebrity putting out a book, and most of them get around to it. I can't tell you how many times the phrase, "...the whole bit..." appears in Rex Brown's book. I think several hundred thousand. Terrible writer. Anyone who isn't a fan of Pantera would probably use it for toilet paper. Any rabid Pantera fan was probably waiting eagerly for it, whether they liked it or were pissed off by it or just hated it. I doubt anyone who has no idea who Keith Emerson is would like his book very much, but some fans probably love it. Doesn't make him a good writer.

• Like 1

That's sort of what I'm getting at. These books aren't intended as anything other than reporting. The world according to Neil is exactly right. That's what you're buying. If you're expecting anything else, then you're just unrealistic in your expectations. It's no different than any celebrity putting out a book, and most of them get around to it. I can't tell you how many times the phrase, "...the whole bit..." appears in Rex Brown's book. I think several hundred thousand. Terrible writer. Anyone who isn't a fan of Pantera would probably use it for toilet paper. Any rabid Pantera fan was probably waiting eagerly for it, whether they liked it or were pissed off by it or just hated it. I doubt anyone who has no idea who Keith Emerson is would like his book very much, but some fans probably love it. Doesn't make him a good writer.

No but someone putting out an autobiography e.g. is a bit different than what Neil is doing with his travelogues. It would be interesting if he actually did put out one.

Holy shit.

I see it as a great thing. Too many fans put in the blinders and think their faves walk on water. We can appreciate his drumming and most of his lyrics while still being put off by his prickly personality and formulaic travel writing.

I liked the masked rider and appreciated ghost rider for what it was. Everything since seems like filling in the blanks to make $$$.

Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 2