Bubba Gram #6

HalfwayToGone

Nothing against the guy really, but he is a shockingly bad writer.....

Shockingly bad? I'd love to see your work. Heaven forbid he has interests outside music. Ever notice that really bright people are interested in a lot of things? Being famous helps getting one's work noticed, but being famous for something else doesn't make your work less worthy. And no, I'm not a fanboi.

I couldn't give a flying f**k what he is interested in...I think his writing stinks and am perfectly at liberty to say so. I find it tediously boring and stilted and this has nothing to do with him being a member of Rush.

Also, I'm not trying to sell my work in the public arena, so my writing skills are a moot point.

I'm not interested either whether you are a fanboi or not...knock yourself out.

You're missing the point. Many people ARE interested in his adventures and hobbies, and because he's famous and has some money it's easier to make one's work available. Good for him. That's the way it is.

The point I was making is he wouldn't be selling any books at all if he wasn't the drummer from RUSH. The publishers know a lot of his fans will buy his stuff therefore he gets a contract.

this is exactly right. he's a f***ing terrible writer and absolutely no one would pay for his writing if he wasn't the drummer of rush.

• Like 2

Shockingly bad? I'd love to see your work. Heaven forbid he has interests outside music. Ever notice that really bright people are interested in a lot of things? Being famous helps getting one's work noticed, but being famous for something else doesn't make your work less worthy. And no, I'm not a fanboi.

I couldn't give a flying f**k what he is interested in...I think his writing stinks and am perfectly at liberty to say so. I find it tediously boring and stilted and this has nothing to do with him being a member of Rush.

Also, I'm not trying to sell my work in the public arena, so my writing skills are a moot point.

You're missing the point. Many people ARE interested in his adventures and hobbies, and because he's famous and has some money it's easier to make one's work available. Good for him. That's the way it is.

The point I was making is he wouldn't be selling any books at all if he wasn't the drummer from RUSH. The publishers know a lot of his fans will buy his stuff therefore he gets a contract.

this is exactly right. he's a f***ing terrible writer and absolutely no one would pay for his writing if he wasn't the drummer of rush.

Even if he was a talented writer the odds of him getting published would be slim if he was unknown, but being in a successful rock band with a loyal fan base guarantees that he gets published. He could probably send them his used toilet paper and get it in print.

• Like 1

"Terrible"? That's ridiculous, and if you really believe that, tell us why. I'm curious.

As for his work being published, the world isn't fair. People get jobs, for example, simply because of where they went to school or their last name, not necessarily at all based on knowledge or merit or work ethic.

Even if he was a talented writer the odds of him getting published would be slim if he was unknown, but being in a successful rock band with a loyal fan base guarantees that he gets published. He could probably send them his used toilet paper and get it in print.

Agree regarding his work being published. But it's anything but prattle.

I've always found his writing to be representative of an alternate persona, him in his "writers" head.

Or, put another way, he's a much nicer guy in writing.

Nicer than what? He's at least as judgmental as the people he rails about for being judgmental.

• Like 3

"Terrible"? That's ridiculous, and if you really believe that, tell us why. I'm curious.

As for his work being published, the world isn't fair. People get jobs, for example, simply because of where they went to school or their last name, not necessarily at all based on knowledge or merit or work ethic.

he's repetitive. he harps on his tastes and his pet peeves and keeps writing the same things over and over again with no new insight. he quotes his own works constantly, which is TERRIBLE form. he gathers together letters he wrote to friends and treats them as if they're meaningful prose for a wider audience instead of using them as source material to write a true narrative. UGH.

• Like 3

His work is essentially travelogues. His quoting of lyrics in Ghost Rider, for example, reflect the tenor of the chapter and serve as a sort of autobiographical "life imitates art." Letters to Brutus got a bit slow sometimes, but again reflected his mood and fragile state. I have no way of knowing, but wouldn't be surprised if he consciously tries to avoid or minimize Rush/drumming talk when writing.

Is he a better drummer? Sure, but so what? Success has given him the ability to pursue other avenues he's interested in, and that has to be a wonderful feeling. I do scoff, however, when people lament his work as "terrible" or the like. Ridiculous. Bright people tend to be very detail oriented, and plenty of people are simply not interested in the cacti species prevalent in Arizona. That's fine. Put the book down.

Edited by upstateNYfan

His work is essentially travelogues. His quoting of lyrics in Ghost Rider, for example, reflect the tenor of the chapter and serve as a sort of autobiographical "life imitates art." Letters to Brutus got a bit slow sometimes, but again reflected his mood and fragile state. I have no way of knowing, but wouldn't be surprised if he consciously tries to avoid or minimize Rush/drumming talk when writing.

Is he a better drummer? Sure, but so what? Success has given him the ability to pursue other avenues he's interested in, and that has to be a wonderful feeling. I do scoff, however, when people lament his work as "terrible" or the like. Ridiculous. Bright people tend to be very detail oriented, and plenty of people are simply not interested in the cacti species prevalent in Arizona. That's fine. Put the book down.

you asked me why i thought he was a terrible writer, i told you

you can like his books all you want, that doesn't mean they're good writing!

• Like 1

I've always found his writing to be representative of an alternate persona, him in his "writers" head.

Or, put another way, he's a much nicer guy in writing.

Nicer than what? He's at least as judgmental as the people he rails about for being judgmental.

SO MUCH THIS. His geographical travelogue parts are well written and lovely; and very enjoyable to read. However, I couldn't take anymore of the "every driver in front of me is an idiot" "nobody makes milkshakes like I like them" etc etc etc judgements about other people; he comes across as finicky as hell. Give me Paul Theroux instead.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

His writing style is unique as far as I'm aware. I have never seen anyone else write in such a consistently dull, long-winded manner. Ever. Writing assignments I did back in my Primary School days weren't much worse than his blogs, yes not as many big look how clever I am words, but kinell a lot less tedious because of it.

I like Neil's updates. I thought it was pretty clever to slide the bikes under the barricade; I never would have thought to purposely put mine on the ground :D

I'm looking forward to what he says about the LA show.

it will be interesting to see if he says anything meaningful or if he does his usual "tell you enough to pique your interest but not enough to give you any insight" thing.

He probably won't tell us a whole lot only because he's saving it for his book.

he never tells us anything in the books either.

except that he likes macallan and rocks and flowers and trees and bmws, and that he and mosbach like pretend to be gay even though they aren't.

I feel a round of Horse with No Name coming on...

• Like 1

I think we should give Michael Crichton or Stephen King or whoever you lot think is a good writer and give them a record contract to make shockingly bad music. It would only be fair to level the scales.
  • Like 2

It's nice that he keeps in touch. :)

I think Neil needs an audience more than he'd ever care to admit

And I don't mean that in a negative way, at all .. I don't think Neil would ever deny the fact that he is a loner - whether that be closer to a free spirit or a lonely curmudgeon is up for debate - but this has come through in his lyrics going all the way back to Fountain Of Lamneth, and even before as he immediately infused the sense of "self" into the band with his lyrics and excellent drum chops ..

I think where things can get sticky - with anyone - is where the line is drawn, as I don't think too many people ( loners or not ) exist on a island .... Neil is a very smart person, and I love that interview with the band right around the time of Permanent Waves - Neil was calm and so cool, and self confident ..

But over time, as he aged and lost some of his chutzpah, I think he began pulling the other way - forcing the issue as he became overly judgmental, opinionated and far less eloquent ..

Neil Peart has led a life that could fill 100 books ... Unfortunately, he just doesn't seem to know how to get it out interestingly right now ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Neil Peart has led a life that could fill 100 books ... Unfortunately, he just doesn't seem to know how to get it out interestingly right now ..

:) Well put

Edited by Lurkst
  • Like 2

So because you think "good for him" the man and his work are beyond criticism?......give me a break.

He's writing about what went on in between shows during the R40 tour. If you're not interested in that outside the venue stuff, that's your business. Don't begrudge Rush fans for being curious about what goes on with the drummer when he isn't drumming. WTF pissed in your Cheerios? If Geddy or Alex wrote a book would you rip the shit out of it for not being a literary masterpiece? I can understand ripping the fiction novels (which Neil didn't actually write), but this is basically a road journal. What'd ya expect?
  • Like 1

So because you think "good for him" the man and his work are beyond criticism?......give me a break.

In no way do I think he's beyond criticism. But to see posts that write "terrible" and "shockingly bad" are wholly without merit. One can see the level of care (allusions, appropriate quotations as examples) and detail (wildlife and geography as examples) he puts into them - even if they're not universally loved.