Underrated Albums

And what's the point of comparing albums to advertising?

Your dislike of Bon Jovi discredits much of your views in my eyes anyway

Not that anything by this band could be technically underrated, but in comparison with praise for their other albums...

Rubber Soul

It's the last Beatles album were it sounded like they were actually having fun.

Well, I hear a lot of fun on Abbey Road, but there can be something rather sterile about Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and Magical Mystery Tour (haven't heard the White Ablum).

Yes, Abbey Road recaptured the early magic of the band, that's the main reason why it's great.

That explains it. Early magic recaptured plus later experimentalism and production techniques mastered = Abbey Road, my fav Beatles album. Rubber Soul I think is def second fav now that I've gotten farmiliar with it.

In the end, it's all about the song, great collections of songs.

Interesting mentality. I don't think anything on Sgt. Pepper's can possibly stand up to In My Life or Here Comes The Sun for one, so there may be something to that.

The greatness of Sgt. Pepper:

The title track

A Little Help From My Friends

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

She's Leaving Home

A Day In The Life

Shoot the rest.

The "rest" could possibly validate and cement the careers of less successful bands. Sgt. Pepper's is a great album, maybe not the Beatles' best, but still great. Remember, the initial concept was thrown out the window as soon as they decided to release "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" as a singe. George Martin always regretted that decision.

This is not my opinion at all and I hate the rest of those songs. Just as you hate the ever so popular and long lasting music of Bon Jovi I too hate this overhyped and painfully lopsided collection of great songs and self indulgent crap.

I will praise things from my perspective as I have too strong a hatred for the rest of the album to dare be entertained by the thought that the populist opinion can only be the right opinion.

I don't think Sgt. Pepper's reputation is benefiting from any populist opinion. In fact, I think the album's reputation has lessened the past several decades, replaced by current go to albums OK Computer and Pet Sounds and New Jersey.

No way New Jersey gets the same kind of praise as either of those albums.

I was being facetious!

But not clever.

Is this clever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMAaGWL_qI

I would simply post the Paul McCartney / Kanye West collaboration but why bother?

It's not that bad of a song. At least it avoided being cliched like most Bon Jovi, so called, songs.

And I'm the first to admit that Paul McCartney wrote some stinkers, believe me.

Not that anything by this band could be technically underrated, but in comparison with praise for their other albums...

Rubber Soul

Well, I hear a lot of fun on Abbey Road, but there can be something rather sterile about Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and Magical Mystery Tour (haven't heard the White Ablum).

Yes, Abbey Road recaptured the early magic of the band, that's the main reason why it's great.

That explains it. Early magic recaptured plus later experimentalism and production techniques mastered = Abbey Road, my fav Beatles album. Rubber Soul I think is def second fav now that I've gotten farmiliar with it.

Interesting mentality. I don't think anything on Sgt. Pepper's can possibly stand up to In My Life or Here Comes The Sun for one, so there may be something to that.

The title track

She's Leaving Home

A Day In The Life

Shoot the rest.

The "rest" could possibly validate and cement the careers of less successful bands. Sgt. Pepper's is a great album, maybe not the Beatles' best, but still great. Remember, the initial concept was thrown out the window as soon as they decided to release "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" as a singe. George Martin always regretted that decision.

This is not my opinion at all and I hate the rest of those songs. Just as you hate the ever so popular and long lasting music of Bon Jovi I too hate this overhyped and painfully lopsided collection of great songs and self indulgent crap.

I will praise things from my perspective as I have too strong a hatred for the rest of the album to dare be entertained by the thought that the populist opinion can only be the right opinion.

I don't think Sgt. Pepper's reputation is benefiting from any populist opinion. In fact, I think the album's reputation has lessened the past several decades, replaced by current go to albums OK Computer and Pet Sounds and New Jersey.

I was being facetious!

But not clever.

Is this clever?

I would simply post the Paul McCartney / Kanye West collaboration but why bother?

It's not that bad of a song. At least it avoided being cliched like most Bon Jovi, so called, songs.

I respect your taste as much as I can. But Bon Jovi means the world to me and I am open to them being criticised as long as my views in turn can be respected.

Rubber Soul

The title track

She's Leaving Home

A Day In The Life

Shoot the rest.

I was being facetious!

But not clever.

Is this clever?

I respect your taste as much as I can. But Bon Jovi means the world to me and I am open to them being criticised as long as my views in turn can be respected.

Don't take my mocking Bon Jovi seriously. Enjoy his music as much as you want. It don't matter to me. Ask my wife what I put her through by mocking Steve Perry!

• Like 1

Rubber Soul

The title track

She's Leaving Home

A Day In The Life

Shoot the rest.

I was being facetious!

But not clever.

Is this clever?

Don't take my mocking Bon Jovi seriously. Enjoy his music as much as you want. It don't matter to me. Ask my wife what I put her through by mocking Steve Perry!

It really annoys me that my being ill turns me into such a Nancy.

Sorry.

I think I need a break before I go back into bitch mode.

I love talking to you it's not your fault I'm offended by everything.

I've actually got a chuckle out of the Bon Jovi directv commercials. Like a lot of commercial campaigns, they're running it into the ground by showing them too much though. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I've actually got a chuckle out of the Bon Jovi directv commercials. Like a lot of commercial campaigns, they're running it into the ground by showing them too much though.

I haven't seen one yet. :huh:

Then again, I manage to have the television on for maybe five hours in a week's time.

(And yes, I gather that that's what ReRushed posted on the previous page, but...meh. I'm not compelled).

I'm not a big Bon Jovi fan, but I certainly don't knock them, either.

Everyone's got different likes and dislikes.

• Like 1

Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond

Yes - Union

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings

Muse - The Resistance

'Sall for now.

Yes - Union

Muse - The Resistance

'Sall for now.

Get Your Wings, underrated? Do tell...

Yes - Union

Muse - The Resistance

'Sall for now.

I like The Resistance as well. But I think The 2nd Law is more underrated. That album was crazy brilliant.

• Like 1

Yes - Union

Muse - The Resistance

'Sall for now.

Get Your Wings, underrated? Do tell...

Hm, more in the sense that I was never given an idea it was amazing by anyone who mentioned it to me until I gave it a listen and realized IT'S AMAZING! Better than Toys and Rocks IMO.

Yes - Union

Muse - The Resistance

'Sall for now.

I like The Resistance as well. But I think The 2nd Law is more underrated. That album was crazy brilliant.

I love the small little community of people who like Muse on trf, because you guys all have the most beautiful and atypical opinions about their music. I can tell you without a doubt, though, that the majority of the Muse community views any album released after Absolution as automatically somehow lesser, and while TR and T2L generally take the brunt of people's dislike, T2L is also usually considered their worst overall album. So, let me think here. I also enjoy T2L very much, but I tend to be with the majority in viewing it as their least great album (either that or Showbiz). I do agree it's underrated, but I also think it does deserve at least some of the backlash it gets for being filled with some of Muse's least Musey and least quality tracks (also amongst some of their greatest and Musiest). TR on the other hand is my fav Muse album, a masterpiece of production and modern prog/rock/pop, and I'm often saddened to find it so hated upon by the general Muse community. I then believe TR is more underrated, but I do see where you're coming from.

Tl;dr - I totally understand and love where you're coming from, but I have to disagree.

I assume Roger Taylor's Fun in Space is underrated as I almost never hear it mentioned, but most of it is fantastic, an all-time favorite of mine. Edited by Rutlefan

Yes - Union

Muse - The Resistance

'Sall for now.

I love the small little community of people who like Muse on trf, because you guys all have the most beautiful and atypical opinions about their music. I can tell you without a doubt, though, that the majority of the Muse community views any album released after Absolution as automatically somehow lesser, and while TR and T2L generally take the brunt of people's dislike, T2L is also usually considered their worst overall album. So, let me think here. I also enjoy T2L very much, but I tend to be with the majority in viewing it as their least great album (either that or Showbiz). I do agree it's underrated, but I also think it does deserve at least some of the backlash it gets for being filled with some of Muse's least Musey and least quality tracks (also amongst some of their greatest and Musiest). TR on the other hand is my fav Muse album, a masterpiece of production and modern prog/rock/pop, and I'm often saddened to find it so hated upon by the general Muse community. I then believe TR is more underrated, but I do see where you're coming from.

Tl;dr - I totally understand and love where you're coming from, but I have to disagree.

T2L is Muse's best album IMO. Drones is the only Muse album I haven't loved.

Edited by KenJennings

Muse The 2nd Law is my favourite album by them, Drones is dead last, and then it would probably look like this:

1. T2L (8/10)

2. Black Holes (8/10)

3. Showbiz (8/10)

4. Absolution (8/10)

5. Origin Of Symmetry (8/10)

6. The Resistance (8/10)

7. Drones (2/10)

You can see that I never truly disliked anything by them til recently. I've also never fully loved a Muse album either, although I am tempted to give T2L a 9.

Again, you guys have the most awesomely unique and well thought over Muse opinions on this forum, I love it! Here's my ranking, love DRONES to death.

TR

OoS

DRONES

BH&R/Abso (I just cannot decide)

T2L/Showbiz (they go back and forth)

• Like 1

Muse The 2nd Law is my favourite album by them, Drones is dead last, and then it would probably look like this:

1. T2L (8/10)

2. Black Holes (8/10)

3. Showbiz (8/10)

4. Absolution (8/10)

5. Origin Of Symmetry (8/10)

6. The Resistance (8/10)

7. Drones (2/10)

You can see that I never truly disliked anything by them til recently. I've also never fully loved a Muse album either, although I am tempted to give T2L a 9.

The 2nd Law

The Resistance

Black Holes and Revelations

Absolution

Showbiz

Origins of Symmetry

Drones

Again, you guys have the most awesomely unique and well thought over Muse opinions on this forum, I love it! Here's my ranking, love DRONES to death.

TR

OoS

DRONES

BH&R/Abso (I just cannot decide)

T2L/Showbiz (they go back and forth)

Muse are an interesting band for me. I really enjoy them but never obsess over them, and as much as I love their music they can also really turn me off if not in the mood.

• Like 1

Rubber Soul

Then you need to. Because it is the best studio album by anyone. Ever.

Aerosmith - Rock in a Hard Place

Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay replacing Perry and Whitford easily could have meant that the band's output would stink. But Lightning Strikes and Rock in a Hard Place (Cheshire Cat) are two of my all time favorite A-Smith tunes.

• Like 1

Rubber Soul

I've heard the first number of songs from it via YouTube, and a lot of mixed reviews. I've got a feeling I'd like it a lot though, but it seems like one of those things I'd really prefer to hear on vinyl first.

Rubber Soul

Well. Its one great studio album. The other...

Hell 3 sides of it is amazing.

• Like 1