Underrated Albums

Now that I'm in the middle of a Cheap Trick marathon, I'd have to include Cheap Trick's "Rockford".

Easily of their very best!

Love this song found on the Japan release of Rockford. I have it on their B-sides and Demos album.

Sweet!!!

I cannot recommend enough the 70's works by 10cc/Godley and Creme and Be Bop Deluxe/Bill Nelson.

Let me check to see if it is a full moon

checking

yes, it is

This explains why DD and I are agreeing so much lately

• Like 2

No Heavy Petting has forever stood in the shadow of both Lights Out and Obsession, both universally considered UFO's best albums ... I beg to differ ... All Michael Schenker era UFO is classic in my book, but No Heavy Petting is their best, and IMHO captures the power of the band better than any of the others

No_Heavy_Petting_album.jpg

• Like 2

No Heavy Petting has forever stood in the shadow of both Lights Out and Obsession, both universally considered UFO's best albums ... I beg to differ ... All Michael Schenker era UFO is classic in my book, but No Heavy Petting is their best, and IMHO captures the power of the band better than any of the others

No_Heavy_Petting_album.jpg

I honestly don't think NHP is undervalued in England. It ranks alongside Obsession & Lights Out with the fans here. Let's face it, Martian Landscape is worth the price of admission alone.

However, I would say No Place To Run is underrated. OK, no Schenker, but Chapman took over seamlessly.

• Like 3

.. and rounding out my underrated trifecta, this happens to be my favorites Stones album

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/035/MI0000035018.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I was just thinking about this album last night (I hadn't even seen this thread; I was just thinking of the album, though), and I thought of you, Lucas. I love it as well.

It may not be my absolute favourite Stones album, but it is fantastic...I may be the second biggest fan of it, here on TRF. ;)

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/20160520_110214_zpscrg3vi9h.jpg

Found this gem at a rummage warehouse in Berkley this weekend. An Elton John classic. Underrated? Maybe. But...who's that looking in from behind...? Why it's none other than...Hutch...aka David Soul! His solo album is so underrated, people forget it even exists.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/20160520_111401_zpsgjfpvbcn.jpg

:musicnote: Don't give up on us, baby! :musicnote:

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

Queen - Hot Space

Their worst album by far, but a heck of a lot more interesting and more lovable than a lot of bands' worst albums (I'm looking at you RTB).

• Like 2

Queen - Hot Space

Their worst album by far, but a heck of a lot more interesting and more lovable than a lot of bands' worst albums (I'm looking at you RTB).

The boys really let you down with Roll the Bones, eh?

I would argue Hot Space is not Queen's worst album.

• Like 1

Queen - Hot Space

Pretty darn much. It irks me how boring most of RTB is to me. Not unlistenable, just bland.

I might take that argument. With what would you replace it?

Queen - Hot Space

Pretty darn much. It irks me how boring most of RTB is to me. Not unlistenable, just bland.

Flash Gordon and The Miracle are pretty mediocre.

Queen - Hot Space

Flash is still the one I skipped on my way through their discography and have yet to get around to, but from what I know about it I can understand how that one would rank worst. The Miracle though is one of my absolute favs, top five last time I ranked the albums. 10 songs worth of pure, diverse, energetic, fun, colorful Queen with really only one that falls legitimately below the standard (My Baby Does Me). Also the origin of one of my top ten Queen songs, Breakthru, Queen at the height of their 80s powers.

• Like 1

Queen - Hot Space

Flash is still the one I skipped on my way through their discography and have yet to get around to, but from what I know about it I can understand how that one would rank worst. The Miracle though is one of my absolute favs, top five last time I ranked the albums. 10 songs worth of pure, diverse, energetic, fun, colorful Queen with really only one that falls legitimately below the standard (My Baby Does Me). Also the origin of one of my top ten Queen songs, Breakthru, Queen at the height of their 80s powers.

I feel that most post-The Game Queen is hit and miss. It's like they lost some of their personality with the production techniques they utilized. In a lot of ways they became a bit canned and generic. You really can't say that about 1970s Queen, a band among the giants. Anyway, Hot Space has a uniqueness that I find endearing. Nothing else sounds like it. It's a fun album.

• Like 2

Bob Mould - Body of Song (just check out "Beating Heart The Prize" to see why)

Catherine Wheel - Chrome & Ferment (Two of the greatest albums ever made and hardly anyone even noticed)

Deftones - Koi No Yokan (should get the same notoriety that White Pony gets, but doesn't)

Helmet - Size Matters (This is just a beast of an album. Not a weak track on it)

Killing Joke - Killing Joke (An album this good shouldn't fly under anyone's radar)

Ministry - Filth Pig (If you like Psalm 69, this is up your alley)

PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me (phenomenal punk record. So raw)

Bob Mould - Body of Song (just check out "Beating Heart The Prize" to see why)

Catherine Wheel - Chrome & Ferment (Two of the greatest albums ever made and hardly anyone even noticed)

Deftones - Koi No Yokan (should get the same notoriety that White Pony gets, but doesn't)

Helmet - Size Matters (This is just a beast of an album. Not a weak track on it)

Killing Joke - Killing Joke (An album this good shouldn't fly under anyone's radar)

Ministry - Filth Pig (If you like Psalm 69, this is up your alley)

PJ Harvey - Rid Of Me (phenomenal punk record. So raw)

Is Rid of Me underrated? Many, critics and fans, consider it her best album. Love, love, love PJ Harvey.

Dido - Safe Trip Home

Dido_Safe_Trip_Home.jpeg

I've always liked Dido... her adult contemporary style was never really my thing, but she always sings with a sincerity and gentleness that I appreciate. Her music is neither overly complex or compromised for accessibility.

The album Safe Trip Home doesn't contain any of Dido's big radio hits, but demonstrates a rare unwavering wall-to-wall quality. The engineering on the album is as good as it gets, with a perfect mix of vocals and instrumentation where nothing is too hot or too cold. Dido's voice is so smooth and sweet throughout this album that it becomes an amazing contrast to the melancholy themes which drive it. It's a touching human experience from cover to cover, and one that earns a replay from me at least every few months.

• Like 1

Daryl Hall - Sacred Songs

It is produced by Robert Fripp. It works. Splendidly.

Yep. Good partnership they had there. The record company had no idea what to do with it.

Also Exposure by Fripp. The only place in rhe entire world where Daryl Hall and Peter Hammill could peacefully coexist.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/A10z-Lit6bL._SL1500_.jpg Some view Interview as the beginning of the end for Gentle Giant, but those people are nuts. Even people who like this album don't like it enough! I personally like it better than Free Hand. The title track is probably the most clever thing the band ever came up with, and that's saying something. Design is also totally brilliant and innovative. Edited by priest_of_syrinx
  • Like 1